S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Leaking - Water in Boot - Trunk (pics+fix)

Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found essentially what you found, I need to spray it down I guess as the rust is starting in those two pockets...
Old 03-31-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so I did some more research today, and need some further advice.

I found the water dripping down under the back edge of the top. This picture was taken looking over the right shoulder of the passenger seat. At first I thought maybe those bolts needed tightening. I could tighten each of them a decent bit with a 10mm socket. Is it ok to tighten those as much as I did?

Either way, that didn't solve the problem unfortunately. Any ideas?

P.S. This car was in a wreck with the previous owner. I do not know if they had to remove the top to do any repairs.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I have just finished fixing a leak in exactly the same place as yours. Turns out the previous owner had replaced the roof, but had not applied the rivets that hold the material to the guttering. I therefore had multiple small holes running around the guttering for water to penetrate.

I removed the metal frame running around, and applied some water. It was apparent that the water was penerating through these holes, so I applied silicon to the trouble spots. That appeared to resolve the issue. Also consider the roof seams. I had an additional leak on a seam that would penetrate through the roof and just miss the guttering. Siliconed that as well!

Take the time to clean out the gutter while you are at it.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so pulled out the back of the top to take a look at it.

Nothing really jumped out at me as an obvious problem. But to be honest, my leak was a slow drip under heavy rain.

The only thing I could tell was that there seems to be some sort of tape or material surrounding both the rivet and where the bolt goes through that I assume seals it when tightened so that water doesn't drip down. On two of them that material seems to be deteriorating and I'm thinking its just enough to let water drip through. I put some silicon sealant around both of those bolts and am going to test it with a hose when I get home from work today.

Here are the pictures as I was looking at the top.

Rain rail exposed:

Rivet and hole for bolt:

Pulled away to reveal sticky material:
Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also recently solved a 'water in the boot' problem...here's my thread which has a different angle to most problems:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/872649-leak-in-boot/

HTH
Old 07-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this DIY, I just picked up my AP1 a few weeks back. It POURED for 7 hours on the drive home, and the next morning the interior smelled a tiny bit musky. Didn't think much of it. The smell went away in a few days, but it just came back after washing it yesterday. Found the trunk carpet was wet, and just sealed up the vent. Luckily my car only has 20k miles on it, so there was no rust. Glad i caught this sooner than later.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Hey all,

I've got a 99 S2l and it leaks in my boot as well. I'm trying to remove the trim. Is there a tool I can use to remove the plastic screws easily? Also, do I have to remove the cd changer in order to remove the boot trim. I'm lacking tools in that aspect

What ratchet size and socket should I be using to remove the CD changer?

Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM

very nice write up
Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 PM

Also found water and some rust in my trunk yeaster day.

Didn't you guys remove the soundproofing material thats glued to the trunk before painting? I bet there is water under it as well.

Is it ok to remove it or is it for something special?

Here's a picture.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 AM

Anyone? Should i remove the sound material before removing the rust and then paint it with some kind of primer?

Or just leave the sound material and remove rust and paint?

Quick Reply: Leaking - Water in Boot - Trunk (pics+fix)