S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Buzzing from around 2,800 - 3,200 rpm

Old 02-28-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buzzing from around 2,800 - 3,200 rpm

Ok, here's the situation: whenever i'm driving around with the windows up and accelerate in that certain rpm range, i hear a buzzing noise that comes from the back. I doubt it's the exhaust itself b/c i've never heard of this situation before and everything has been properly installed.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure this started to happen one day after I got rear ended at around 5mph and two bumper clips broke off, although i'm not completely sure if that's when the noise started to occur. Today when i was washing my car though, i decided to secure the rear bumper and replace the two missing bumper clips so now it's really nice and stiff and doesn't move at all when pushed. I went for a drive, same thing happened. The two I replaced were the ones that appear when you open the trunk near the latch where there is also a VIN sticker.

What's weird is that you can only hear it from inside the car, and if you roll the windows down or put the top down, then the noise goes away, could be partly because there is more noise from other elements such as wind and exhaust note. Are there any other bumper clips or parts related to the bumper that could have broken off causing it to make noise? I haven't driven the car with the OEM exhaust ever since the accident, but I have driven it with and without the testpipe and the sound was still there, but then again, testpipe/cat is pretty far from where the noise is comming from. Doesn't really bother me all too much, but just wondering if this has occured to anyone else.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Banned

Have you ruled out clutch buzz?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kyushin,Mar 1 2006, 11:43 AM
Have you ruled out clutch buzz?
yeah it's definately not clutch buzz because it comes from the rear, + i recently had a brand new clutch installed.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same sound, its definitly not the diff, it sounds like an exhaust rattle, it only happens at a certain rpm range, its not constant
Old 03-04-2006, 02:07 PM

I have the same exhaust and test pipe as you do.

Check your exhaust tip. Mine was just a little loose and I could hear it rattle while accelerating. A little tightening solved everything.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

One of two buzzes comes to mind for me. The first is the passenger seat belt buzz. Try fastening the belt and see if itgoes away. More likely, particularly in light of your rear end tap is the spare tire buzz. Go in and tighten the wing nut. If this doesn't solve your buzz issue take a look at what tools or goodies are in the little covered well in the trunk. Might be some metal to metal contact in the tire changing tool well. Wrap them in a towel.

Utah
Old 03-23-2006, 09:10 PM

I have the same noise issue from the back when decelerating or lift of the gas on 2nd or 3rd gear (low rpms). but when i press down the clutch or put it in nuetral the vibration or rattling noise goes away. At first i thot it was the exhaust gone bad or something.
Now im confused as to what it is: clutch buzz, exhoust, diff., other stuff in the trunk.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:32 AM

It happened to me with my previous S. I could hear it from the back area around 3k RPM with top and window up only. I checked the spare tire, it was tight. I took it to the dealer, they tighten everything up including break lines, disk, exhaust, heat shield, etc. The noise still there.

One day while washing the car I found out that it was the in side emergency trunk opener that is loosen and has a lot of play between the pieces itself. I tighten all the screws up and stuff the thing with tissue, never have problems again.

Try it, it might just be the same as mine.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RM 4 2,Mar 24 2006, 06:32 AM
It happened to me with my previous S. I could hear it from the back area around 3k RPM with top and window up only. I checked the spare tire, it was tight. I took it to the dealer, they tighten everything up including break lines, disk, exhaust, heat shield, etc. The noise still there.

One day while washing the car I found out that it was the in side emergency trunk opener that is loosen and has a lot of play between the pieces itself. I tighten all the screws up and stuff the thing with tissue, never have problems again.

Try it, it might just be the same as mine.
i found the same thing...

but curious why the noise goes away with top down...i don't see how that affects the emergency trunk latch buzzing...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This area was my problem. Put a piece of dynamat between the two pieces of metal and the buzz went away.

Quick Reply: Buzzing from around 2,800 - 3,200 rpm