UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car started with J's ECU

Old 08-14-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Car started with J's ECU

Spent the morning installing the new spark plugs and the straight pipe. The install went smoothly - no problems.

Now the ECU was a pain - taking the three triangular bolts off was a right problem.

Anyhow, got the ECU in - tried to start the car but it would only crank. It started for a split second and then switched off.

I put the standard ECU back in and it started straight away but I got a CEL light as I've removed the O2 sensor.

The green key light does not come on with the J's ECu but does with the standard one.

Could it be the factory immobiliser?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Amuse Boy,Aug 14 2005, 04:13 PM
Now the ECU was a pain - taking the three triangular bolts off was a right problem.

Could it be the factory immobiliser?
I did warn you about these bolts .....

Factory immobiliser should only be in your old ECU, I would have thought that the J's ECU wouldn't have one (like the Mugen).

If the J's ECU does have an immobileser you will need to get the keys re-programmed by a dealer IIRC. This would be a pain as you would need to do this every time you switch.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:37 AM

If the J's had an immobiliser still working - wouldn't the green key light still be flashing? As if to indicate that the key is not programmed?

I have a feeling it is something very similar to what some people experience with the Spoon ECU.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:42 AM

What a pain in the arse. When I have justed swapped the ecus's for the mot I had the oem immobilizer back with the standard ecu, once the mugen was back in no immobilizer (no green key) I wouldn't have thought that the J's had an immobilizer, not good if you have to get key matched to the immobilizer each time you swap. See no reason for it not to work apart from the immobilizer.

What was the problem with the spoon?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:47 AM

Something to do with the immobiliser too. Marc - you are right - that if it was the immobiliser then it would have the green key flashing.

The only other thing I can think of is the Clifford alarm I have. However, when I put the car in valet mode - all the security measures are disabled. And I've checked the Alarm wiring diagrams - it is not connected to the ECU in any way.

I am not sure what to do...
Old 08-14-2005, 08:49 AM

Oh and I also tried my spare key which has no immobiliser chip in it but again the same thing. The car cranks but nothing.

If it were the Clifford, it wouldn't even let the car crank.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:52 AM

I doubt it's the clifford, after market alarms wouldn't go into the ecu (I wouldn't have thought) the only thing I could think of is the map???
Old 08-14-2005, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it's an immobilizer issue.. I have an aftermarket system and swap the ECU's without problems.. the JDM's (well at least the first ones) don't have immobilizers in the ECU in anycase..so I would doubt J's would bother with a security feature ahead of mugen and Honda - and surely they would mention this??
Old 08-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

AB's is a UK car not JDM
Old 08-14-2005, 09:12 AM

Kobe - Mines is a UK spec car but I am pretty sure that the immobiliser is cut from the ECU but I have afeeling that one of the wires has to be grounded.

Quick Reply: Car started with J's ECU