S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TSB-02-063 Vibration from rear during acceleratio

Old 12-14-2004, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB-02-063 Vibration from rear during acceleratio

Some advice I hope will streamline the process of getting this fixed.

I had a nightmare experience at my local dealer getting the rear CV's replaced. I think the following guidance may prevent this from happening in the future.

First Appointment
1. Tell them about the vibration/noise and TSB 02-063
2. Make sure that they inspect the hub joints in addition to the CV's since bad CV's can cause abnormal hub wear leading to axles breaking off at the hub.
3. Make sure they re-grease the hubs and torque them to the proper setting (I don't remember the spec but it is over 200 ft-lbs)
4. Ask them when the Honda Rep will make a Goodwill determination for the repair.

After the goodwill repair decision is made
1. Call dealer and ask them to order the parts which could take up to a week

Second Appointment
1. Make sure they inspect the hub joints again (unless they noticed a problem earlier)
2. Make sure they re-grease the hubs and torque them to the proper setting (I don't remember the spec but it is over 200 ft-lbs)
3. When picking up the car, try reverse first and listen for any noise from the rear. One bang probably means the hubs are toast.

After the fix
1. Keep listening for noises, especially when reversing or switching from reverse to forward.
2. If you make it 4 weeks without a noise, you're probably ok.

TSB-02-063 Vibration from Rear of Car during acceleration
Old 12-14-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will let you know what happens
Old 12-14-2004, 08:31 AM

Summary of my experience with this.

It started out with a thump, thump I could feel when accelerating after a left turn. over the course of a year, it changed to an occasional squeak, squeak after 30 minutes of driving. I brought it to the attention of a couple of service departments when getting schedule maintenance and oil changes, but got no feedback.

In August, the sound changed to a bang, bang and I drove directly to the dealer. the dealer told me the CV's were broken and it would be $1,000 to replace them. I told him there was no reason for a car with 45,000 miles on it to have bad CV joints. I had to wait a week for the honda Rep to come by and evaluate it for goodwill consideration. In the mean time I found the TSB on S2KI.

1. August, car was evaluated and the CV's were determined to be broken.
2. Waited a week for Honda Rep to approve the repair for free
3. Waited a week for pasts to come in and be installed
4. September, banging noise returned
5. October, dealer greased and torqued hubs
6. November noise returned
7. Rear brakes hit metal on metal apparently due to broken axle at hub
8. Took to different dealer to find out axle was sheared at the hub, hub joint was toast, rear disk toast from metal on metal contact, rear speed sensor broken off due to rear wheel misalignment after axle snapped.
9. November, car towed back to original dealer
10. Had to go up the chain to the service director to get a rental car
11. In total waited two weeks from broken axle to car repaired due to holidays and parts ordering.
12. Three weeks so far and no problems with the rear.

Everything was fixed for free even though my car was out of warrantee. The dealer I used was Honda of Bowie. Apparently since August a new service director was hired and he has been cleaning house ever since. So far the last repair seems to have been done correctly.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetj,Dec 14 2004, 12:15 PM
I will let you know what happens
J- Do you think this is what Michael was feeling?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:15 AM

Yes we believe it is now.... I had Dave and Tony drive it this past weekend and they said it seemed like it was the actually right side. I also talked to Joe about it and he said that the TSB is for both but that it is really just happeneing on the R inner cv joint
Old 12-14-2004, 10:42 AM

On mine the vibration was coming from the drivers side, but both CV's were broken. The driver's side axle was the one that snapped.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:00 PM

was the suspension modified when you took your car to the dealer?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:41 AM

My suspension is modified.. I called Honda of Bowie and they are gonna call me back
Old 12-22-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by vodalus,Dec 14 2004, 06:00 PM
was the suspension modified when you took your car to the dealer?
Stock suspension. If you just change springs/shocks the stock suspension geometry is not changed and should have no effect on the CV's and/or Hubs. Of course the dealer could make up any excuse that they want.

The bottom line is that the original CV's had a design and/or manufacturing flaw. I am really surprised that this is not a recall given that breaking an axle can have dire consequences at speed.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:18 AM

I took mine into Weseloh Honda and had them fix the problem in only a few hours with absolutely no complaint or protest. Thanks for the info, it came in handy.

It's been two weeks with a good amount of mileage on the car and no noises or problems yet. So hopefully that will be the only time the car is in the shop for that problem.

Quick Reply: TSB-02-063 Vibration from rear during acceleratio