S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Slight "Groan" at Start-Up (kind of long)

Old 11-29-2000, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I don't know if this is a repeat issue, but does anyone else detect a slight "groan" in your car when you're pulling away after a fresh start.up?

My '00 S2000 has about 1200miles right now, and I've noticed this sound since day one. This only occurs the *first* time I'm pulling away after the car is started and doesn't reoccur until the car is stopped & re-started. Again, this only occurs the first time I'm pulling away, but it occurs after the car has been sitting overnight, all day at work, or even if I just stop to get gas. At first I thought it may be the LSD, but this sound is still heard even if I pull away straight. Strange, huh?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but this one is quite confusing. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BTW...any other newbies out there...don't put a "<" or ">" in your subject lines, or your message will not be posted (and "back" in Netscape will yield a *blank* form!).
Old 11-29-2000, 09:34 PM

you sure it's not that high pitched sound that comes up when the car is not warm enough?
Old 11-29-2000, 09:42 PM

I think I've heard that one, too, but this one is definitely different. This is more similar to the feeling one would get when pulling away on a gravel road, for example.
Oh...and it only happens for about ten or fifteen feet.

Hmmmm.
Old 11-29-2000, 10:03 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

00S, I have the exact same thing. Been there since day one, 15,000 miles later and it hasn't changed, no better, no worse, no different. Took it to the dealer early on and after finally getting someone there who could feel what I was talking about, they told me it might have something to do with the ABS I don't know.

I brought the subject up on H-A.net maybe 6-7 months ago and a couple others said they had the same but not many. Pretty hard to feel, so I don't know if it's common and it doesn't bother most, or if only a few cars do it and there's a true problem.

Sorry, not much help, at least you're not alone!
Old 11-30-2000, 02:58 AM

Guys, are you sure what you are experiencing is not the handbrake locking the pads on to the rear rotors. I find the same thing - especially if it has been raining or I have washed the vehicle. In this instance the problem is that the cast iron rotors form surface rust very quickly - there is then a chemical reaction between the rotors and the pads which causes a slight bonding between the two.

Once you start to roll the pads scrub the rust off the rotors so you don't hear it anymore but it will happen again even if you have only stopped for 5-10 minutes.

Does this sound like the problem you have been experiencing - if so, check your rotors next time before you drive off and see if they are brown. By the way - this is not a problem and you can't get the rotors swapped as a warranty repair.
Old 11-30-2000, 07:05 AM
J R

Good call 2kturkey. I was just about to say the same thing. This type of noise can be heard even if there hasn't been any rain if you are in a high humidity area.

I would suggest that those of you with this problem park the next time and just leave the car in gear without engaging the hand brake. If it doesn't groan the next time you take off, you have probably found the culprit.

By the way, this problem can be much more severe after you wash the car. If you park and engage the hand brake after a washing, some of our members have found that the car takes a lot of gas to get to move and then they can hear a loud POP when it does begin to move. this is just the brake pad breaking away from the rotor.
Old 11-30-2000, 07:16 AM

I entirely agree with what 2kturkey says. I'm sure this is your "problem". I've had the same kind of noise on my last 2 cars, and it really is caused by the brake pads binding on the rotors after you park the car for the night. I also feel a definite "clunk" after I back out and then brake before moving off, forward. This is when the brake pads release fully and then reset. You'll probably have the same effect. J R's suggestion to not put the handbrake on when you park is a good way to verify this.
Old 11-30-2000, 07:27 AM
RT

Originally posted by 2kturkey:
Guys, are you sure what you are experiencing is not the handbrake locking the pads on to the rear rotors. I find the same thing - especially if it has been raining or .............................

I don't use the hand brake 90% of time and it happens every time. The other thing is I can get it to do it again and again by turning the key all the way off and restarting, and then it does it on the first roll, forward or back. If I don't turn car off and repeat same, it doesn't do it

What ever causes it seems to reset with the ignition being cycled.

Old 11-30-2000, 07:29 AM
RT

Originally posted by 2kturkey:
................. or I have washed the vehicle. In this instance the problem is that the cast iron rotors form surface rust very .......................
............and I don't wash my car, ok, well, once since I got it in Feb.
Old 11-30-2000, 09:04 AM

Hmmmm...interesting. I'll try the handbrake thing, but then why wouldn't this happen when I'm *backing* out after a start-up. This "groan" only seems to happen when I'm pulling forward.

Since this seems to occur after recycling the power, could this be related to the electically assisted steering, somehow? Just a thought.

Thanks a lot guys...seeing that others have experienced this (and that it doesn't seem to get any worse) makes me worry a lot less about this "problem."

Quick Reply: Slight "Groan" at Start-Up (kind of long)