S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Elda Engineering SCCA approved rollbar installed

Old 09-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove up to Branford, Connecticut Sunday night for the installation of Wael El-Dasher's Elda Engineering rollbar. Wael spent nearly two years developing this bar so that it would meet SCCA standards and fit with minimal cutting and damage to the interior.

I can't give more praise to what Wael has accomplished. The fit and finish of the bar is just extraordinary (mine is powder coated in black chrome, and it's a work of art). Some cutting to the plastic trim is necessary, but Wael does it so artfully that the bar looks like it was fit at the Honda factory. Amazing!

If you're considering a roll bar, I highly recommend Elda Engineering's. Wael is a perfectionist, and the bar is supplied with everything you need for the track and street, including a detachable harness bar and diagonal bar, and even padding.

The bar stiffens the chassis even more. Mine will debut at Watkins Glen on September 22.

I took a few photos of the install as it progressed, and will post more photos of the finished installation once the rain stops here in the east, which may not be for another year

To install the bar, most of the interior from the seats an d back has to be removed. This is a frightening sight at first, but you soon realize that your car is in very capable hands.

Wael (left) and his assistant Chris ready to drop the bar in place.

Fitting the bar is a delicate procedure because the clearances are so precise. Wael makes it look easy.

Bolted in place, waiting for all the plastic trim and other parts to be reinstalled.

Another view.

If you look closely, you can see a small, engraved plate on the back of the bar. It has the Elda logo and serial number -- another delightful detail Wael has added.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on... can you post some pics of the finished install with the top up and the top down? I am interested in getting one of these but I want to see how it looks for daily driving.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:13 AM

Wow, it turned out nice. I like the black chrome w/ silverstone and kind of wish I had had the guts to go that route. That windshield tape has to come off now!

How did you measure chassis stiffness? Honestly, I can't feel any difference in stiffness, but I tried hard to make sure I didn't have any placebo affect going on. Maybe I tried too hard :-).
Old 09-18-2003, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice choice on the powdercoat color
Old 09-22-2003, 06:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow that's sweet. Does this sell as a kit now? Or would I have to go to connecticut too?
Old 09-22-2003, 06:40 AM

What was the hardest "aspect" of the bar to get SCCA approval?

In other words, was it the shape, the structure, the size, the strength of material or what?

What was the biggest obsticle or the biggest challenge to overcome so the bar could be SCCA approved?
Old 09-24-2003, 12:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

(Bump)
Old 09-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

I'll be posting photos of the finished install tonight.

I don't know the difficulties Wael had getting SCCA approval, so I hope he'll post here and tell us.

You can buy the bar and install it yourself or have someone do it. Wael provides an installation video which is quite good.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:54 PM

So did you actually measure chassis stiffness, or do you just feel it's stiffer? I'm actually quite curious.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 01:20 PM
STL

So where is a photo of the car with the new bar and the interior re-installed?

Quick Reply: Elda Engineering SCCA approved rollbar installed