UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

AEM 30-6052 problem

Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AEM 30-6052 problem

Afternoon all ,

I've been having an on going problem with my AEM Series 2 6052 EMS where the sensor readouts are oscillating or giving a false reading. I purchased the until brand new to replace the 30-1012 EMS I currently have (with which I've had no problems with and I am only upgrading due to the safety aspects the Series 2 gives now it's supercharged!).

The 1st time it happened I duly sent it to AEM thinking it was duff from the outset and had it mended under warranty. It had a burnt filter 32 on the main board and returned. Booked in again with Romain and low and behold the unit has exactly the same problem as before so understandably I'm not to happy . The only sensors that are not OEM are the IAT sensor which is an AEM 30-2010 and a Hondata 4 bar MAP sensor.

Is there anyone in the North West that is running a 6052 that I could do a comparison with on their car so that I can rule out that it is my car with the problem? I've brought the EMS up with me to Blackpool (as the car is in Kent) but forgot to bring the USB lead so would need one of these to connect to my netbook to check as well.

Or has anyone else had similar problems and managed to get them sorted.

Here is a link to the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceYYCc0dJkw&app=desktop

Jez.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a search.

SMR failure, Resistor failure.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I had something similar recently. I detailed my precise symptoms in a thread and the cause was a sensor ground circuit problem. They're delicate on the AEM EMS. I'll look up the link...
Old 03-14-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1140523-/

Although I just posted the link into the thread in the link (doh!). Still, it's easy to find now, top of the forum!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Do a search.

SMR failure, Resistor failure.
Cheers Roids, I had tried that but no getting any joy other than that on Chris's thread

Originally Posted by chrispayze
https://www.s2ki.com/...topic/1140523-/

Although I just posted the link into the thread in the link (doh!). Still, it's easy to find now, top of the forum!
Cheers Chris, I had actually commented on that thread thinking mine was sorted

All I can think is that my AEM 30-2010 IAT sensor has a short somehow so I have reverted it back to the OEM one. Its just odd that the Series 1 is fine and its a super early one at that but perhaps its internals are just more robust! Bit of a backward step in that case then. Plus that's the only sensor I changed from OEM and didn't have any fault codes on the OEM ECU either before changing over the injectors & 4 Bar MAP.

Looks like I'll be sending it off again I Hate Electrics!!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, the very small ampage resistors serves as a grounding one, its failed thus isn't grounded hence fluctuating.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
No, the very small ampage resistors serves as a grounding one, its failed thus isn't grounded hence fluctuating.
So does that mean that I have a sensor ground problem to cause it to fail? The AEM IAT sensor was spliced into the loom for both wires - but the sensor is on the alloy intake pipe so potentially not grounded via that, would it be a good idea to run a ground wire from there just to be on the safe side?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've just posted a thread to ask to borrow one as I'm having very similar issues.

Romain told me about yours when trying to map the car. It's been down to Eurospec x3 times now and each time we have had problems relating to voltage fluctuations.

Look at this when I hold the revs @ 6k, AIT and CET voltages shoot up. Also other sensors go funny.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:20 PM

I didn't even get to log anything on mine, its all a bit strange that there's at least two of us with similar problems. Like I've said my Series One is fine and that came out the ark! I can see I'm going to be forced to send it off to AEM again and that's not cheap when its tracked and insured
Old 03-14-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

AEM are absolute shite. Piss poor build quality

Quick Reply: AEM 30-6052 problem