S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch/PP/Flywheel questions -Need advice

Old 01-23-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/PP/Flywheel questions -Need advice

Hello all, so I need some advice on what clutch setup to go with for my 2006 S2k w 40k miles on it. I've done all the research I can and have read a lot of the previous forum discussions on this topic, but as a lot of those previous discussions are a bit old now... I was wondering if there are any new clutch/pp/flywheel setups worth considering or if anyone has any updated thoughts/experiences they'd like to share.

Background:
My s2k is my daily driver and is NA for now w/ a fully built head. I'm having some bottom end work done, hence its a good time to upgrade the clutch. I plan on going FI very soon, but I'm only looking to make around 400hp to maybe 425/450hp at the very most. I expect I'll be closer to 400hp.

The general consensus on the forum seems to say go with...

oem disc
oem bearings
ACT H021 PP
Flywheel choices: OEM AP1, ACT prolite CHROMOLY, comptech CHROMOLY , or toda CHROMOLY

1) Is this still the best setup to with?
2) Will it handle the power I'm looking to make & how much hp/torque can this setup handle safely?
3) Any thoughts on the SOS sport clutch kit? How about the just the SOS PP w the OEM disc & OEM bearings?
4) Are there still chatter issues with the ACT PP, or is this only when using the whole ACT kit?
5) There is mention of crank walk w the ACT PP is this really true?

- Since this is my daily driver, I don't want a crazy hard pedal feel. Will the OEM disc/ACT PP be a lot harder than stock?

- I've read that going w an 8 lbs flywheel can make everyday driveability difficult; so is going w/ an 11 lbs flywheel a better choice then, or will it still cause issues?

- Is better to go with an AP1 flywheel vs aftermarket (ACT prolite CHROMOLY, comptech CHROMOLY , or toda CHROMOLY)?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'd love to hear from anyone who has firsthand experience with any of these setups.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:10 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

The clutch disk causes rattles. Oem disk with act pp can take ~350 ft lbs, which in our car is ~400hp. If you want more than that, you'll either need to convert to push type clutch, or spend big bucks. Idk if they make multi-plate pull clutches.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet_S
- I've read that going w an 8 lbs flywheel can make everyday driveability difficult; so is going w/ an 11 lbs flywheel a better choice then, or will it still cause issues?
I've driven with a 8lb FW for years and it is fine but does take more attention sometimes as revs change faster. Some people will say it makes the car 'nervous', I would say 'responsive'. 90% of the time it makes no difference. If you like go-carts go with 8, but if you like a GT go with a 16.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena
Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet_S' timestamp='1453605375' post='23861140
I've driven with a 8lb FW for years and it is fine but does take more attention sometimes as revs change faster. Some people will say it makes the car 'nervous', I would say 'responsive'. 90% of the time it makes no difference. If you like go-carts go with 8, but if you like a GT go with a 16.
Cool, thanks for sharing your experience... Which 8lb flywheel are you running?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after 400-450 hp or so turbo you're looking at a twin disk or the like?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:39 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

I have seen an ACT pp and oem disc handle 500 hp for
years on end.

Must operate car properly of course.

If you do an ACT PP with fi, I would recommend the clutch interlock bypass.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet_S
Toda
Old 01-26-2016, 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming.

Right now I'm leaning towards the OEM disk with the act pp, and a 11lb chromoly aftermarket flywheel.

I just want to make sure I choose the correct setup for the hp im looking to make as I don't want have to do a clutch job all over again cuz of slippage, which is tons of labor when doing it myself on the garage floor.

Is there any big difference between going with the AP 1 14lbs flywheel versus an 11 lbs aftermarket flywheel since the weight difference isn't that much? Would one or the other have more of an impact on driveability?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena
Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet_S' timestamp='1453690748' post='23861643
Toda
Cool thanks
Old 01-26-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by james0933
So after 400-450 hp or so turbo you're looking at a twin disk or the like?
How much harder would a twin disc make the pedal effort? Would it jar the car during engagement?

Quick Reply: Clutch/PP/Flywheel questions -Need advice