UK & Ireland For Sale and Wanted Items for sale and wanted in the UK & Ireland
Mark this thread as Unsold

GB - Wilwood Superlite 4 pot big brake kit

Old 09-21-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GB - Wilwood Superlite 4 pot big brake kit

As some of you may know, FreakyParts have been producing low volume, custom designed big brake kits for over 10 years.

I picked up an S2000 a few months ago and while in the garage a few weeks ago, I realised the kit we made for the EP3 will work with the S2000 so I whipped a wheel off to check, and low and behold it does! So thought it would be a good idea to put a group buy together for this kit and offer it to the community.

This kit utilise the high performance, lightweight Superlite 4 piston caliper which has been tried and tested in every aspect of motorsport.
These calipers, combined with a 2 piece brake kit using the Wilwood Ultralite 32mm thick rotor and lightweight aluminium bell means the setup is both hard wearing but lightweight.

The kit comprises of:

1 x pair of new Wilwood Superlite 4 pot calipers
1 x pair of new 298.5x32mm discs
1 x pair of custom fabricated Aluminium bells
1 x pair of custom fabricated Aluminium brackets
1 x pair of fast road pads (Wilwood BP10 compound or equivalent)
1 x pair of custom HEL front braided hoses
All bolts and fittings to fit the kit to your car.

The kit has been tried and tested on several different types of car both on the road and track and has performed flawlessly.

This kit has been designed to fit the S2000 and with the 298x32mm rotors will fit behind 16" OEM wheels (a 10mm spacer may be required) Modification to the original dust shield may be required due to the thicker disc.

The usual price is £869.00 plus shipping, but the group buy prices are:

1x £869.00

5x £799.00

10x £759.00

Optional upgrades include:
Ferodo DS2500 pads £65.00
Matching rear braided hoses £25.00
309.5x32mm UL Rotors £25.00
298.5x32mm HD Rotors £95.00
309.5x32mm HD Rotors £95.00

Should you require a pair of spacers making, we can supply these made to your specification. I can include these at cost price if purchased with a brake kit.

Below are pictures of the 2 piece setup, and the calipers fitted to the 300x25mm OEM sized disc to show fitment over the 16" OEM wheels. Note this kit is not designed to fit the 25mm thick discs as the calipers are designed for 20.8mm, 28mm and 32mm discs.

Below is a comparable picture of the Superlite pad compared to the OEM. (Superlite is top obviously)

Fitted to 300x25mm OEM discs to confirm clearance behind 16" OEM wheels.

Consumable costs are very reasonable for replacement rotors and pads. The rotors are between £75-£130 each (depending on UL or HD option) and pads start from £50.00 a set.

I will keep this group buy open until the end of October to allow for interest, orders will require a deposit of £250.00.
Kits should be delivered 2nd or 3rd week in November.

A template can be provided on request to print out and check your wheel for clearance.

Any questions, please ask.

Thanks
Stewart
FreakyParts
Old 09-21-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few questions.

Is there any way to make the brake caliper upgrade work with the factory disk?

How do you know the aluminium you use for the bell and bracket are up to the job of what they are doing?

What are the overall benefits of upgrading from the factory caliper to the wilwood?

How much weight is there to be saved when going for the superlight option?

Would you need to use a 10mm spacer if using this with factory 16s?

Instead of adding an extra spacer why not increase the thickness of the bell's hub mounting face?

I take it longer wheel studs would be necessary too?

I like the kit and the fact that it sits behind the factory 16" wheel as that is what I'm using on my track car, unsprung weight saving is something I'm keen to capitalise on too I'm just not sure about the aluminium parts.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Since I own both an ep3 and an s2000 I thought I would just mention that if you are using the same disks and brackets from the ep3 the caliper wont sit central on the disk. the offset is different. I assume you are using s2000 specific bells?

What size pistons does this caliper run?

Have you actually made a kit and test run it on the car yet?

For the price difference wouldn't most people be better off going for the spoon kit, tried and tested by hundreds and utilises the oem disks and pads.

Could you not design a new bracket and caliper combination that can be used on the oem disks? similar to the spoon but cheaper?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Having recently looked at something similar, I am quite interested to know what grade of Alu you are using and if any FEA has been completed?
Also, what are the "HD Rotors", assuming UL is "ultra Light". Are any other brands of rotors available, or would it just be Wilwood?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subbed, very interested, some more info on the above would be great.

thanks.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:36 PM

Just on the way into the office, I'll go through the questions when I get in.
Like I said in the first post, we've been designing and manufacturing big brake kits since 2004.
The main area has been Japanese cars (as it's usually been for my car first!) but we've made kits for everything from kit cars to endurance and rally cars.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
I have a few questions.

Is there any way to make the brake caliper upgrade work with the factory disk?
With the Superlite calipers the distance between the lugs are too wide to slot inside the lugs on the hub, so they sit behind them, flat with the inside face so there's no room to pull the calipers out any further. When I tried the 28mm caliper on the 25mm thick OEM disc, the outer pad was clamped to the face of the disc. The only way to centre the caliper so it doesn't do this is move the caliper further out, but this isn't possible due to the lugs on the hub, as you can see here (left is inboard, right is outboard):

The caliper isn't central to the disc and needs moving outwards by around 3mm to centre it, but there isn't 3mm available. But that's not really the point of this kit. There's already kits out there such as the Dynalite and Spoon which fit to the OEM 300x25mm discs. This kit is designed to be both lighter and perform better than these kits due to the 2 piece disc with 32mm thick rotors.

How do you know the aluminium you use for the bell and bracket are up to the job of what they are doing?
The aluminium used for both the custom CNC machined brackets and bells is the same as we use in all the other kits we make. These include (but aren't limited to) Honda Integra DC2, Civic EK9, EP3, FN2, CRX, Mitsubishi Evo 1,2,3,4, FTO, Legnum VR4, Mazda MX5 Mk1, 2 and 3, Toyota Celica Gen 4, 5, 6 and 7, MR2 Mk1, 2 and 3, and numerous VAG (VW, Audi, Skoda) models.
It's also the same grade as used by AP Racing and Wilwood for their aluminium brackets and bells - 6061-T6 billet aluminium.

What are the overall benefits of upgrading from the factory caliper to the wilwood?
Weight saving, increased performance as 32mm discs can take a lot more abuse before overheating. Lower consumable costs compared to other big brake kits.

How much weight is there to be saved when going for the superlight option?
The OEM caliper with carrier weighs 4.5kg
The 300x25mm cast disc weighs 6.2kg
(no bolts/pads)
Total 10.7kg

The Forged Wilwood Superlite caliper weighs 2.35kg
The 300x32mm UL rotor weighs 4.3kg
The machined aluminium bell weighs 0.5kg
(no bolts/pads)
Total 7.15kg

Over 3.5kg per side saving in unsprung weight.

Would you need to use a 10mm spacer if using this with factory 16s?
From the rough and dirty measurements I took with the wheel and caliper it worked out approx. 12mm spacer would be needed on factory 16" wheels. We also make custom wheel spacers so if you run the factory wheels we can supply these with the kit at cost price.

Instead of adding an extra spacer why not increase the thickness of the bell's hub mounting face?
We could but the idea of this kit is to make a universal kit for all S2000s, rather than a one-off for 1 person. There may be a time in the future you, or the next buyer decides to fit different wheels, which would limit what could be fitted and would require a new set of bells making rather than just removing the slot on hubcentric spacers. The usual thickness of the bells where they mount to the hub is 8mm, the same as OEM discs so we're not really keen on making them all thicker.
Plus if/when you decide to sell the S2000, the calipers, rotors and bells can be transferred onto your next car, all that's needed is another pair of brackets making. We've done this for numerous customers who take their brake kits with them to their new car

I take it longer wheel studs would be necessary too?
Correct, a set of longer studs would be needed for any spacer over around 5mn.

I like the kit and the fact that it sits behind the factory 16" wheel as that is what I'm using on my track car, unsprung weight saving is something I'm keen to capitalise on too I'm just not sure about the aluminium parts.
Everything apart from the rotor and fixings are aluminium, it's the easiest way to save weight. As I mentioned earlier, these calipers are used around the world on thousands of cars. We've been producing these kits for various cars since 2004 and the materials used have never been an issue in all the tests we've conducted.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by har-vey
Since I own both an ep3 and an s2000 I thought I would just mention that if you are using the same disks and brackets from the ep3 the caliper wont sit central on the disk. the offset is different. I assume you are using s2000 specific bells?
Correct. The EP3 kit I had was the custom brackets, which allowed me to confirm the brackets we have made for the EP3 also fit the S2000. This means I've not got to invest a lot of time and money developing the kit. The bells for the S2000 will be machined to fit the S2000 not the EP3 so everything sits central to the caliper.

What size pistons does this caliper run?
There's a few options in the Superlite caliper.
31.8mm
35mm
41mm
44.5mm

None are an exact match for the S2000 caliper, but in my experience I would say either the 35.1mm or 41mm would give the closest to OEM feel. The 35.1mm would be very slightly smaller total piston area, the 41mm is a little larger, and is usually the option we supply with the DC2 and EK9 kits.

Have you actually made a kit and test run it on the car yet?
We haven't for the S2000 yet, but as mentioned in my earlier post we have been doing this for a while now and sold a lot of kits to other Honda models and other high powered RWD cars with excellent feedback.

For the price difference wouldn't most people be better off going for the spoon kit, tried and tested by hundreds and utilises the oem disks and pads.
This kit isn't really a direct comparison to the Spoon setup as like you said it uses OEM cast discs and pads whereas this uses lighter and thicker 2 piece discs. The price difference between a new Spoon 4 pot caliper upgrade and this full kit including new 2 piece rotors and new pads (which aren't included in the Spoon upgrade) is around £250.00 extra if you went for the Spoon calipers.

Could you not design a new bracket and caliper combination that can be used on the oem disks? similar to the spoon but cheaper?
See above post regarding caliper design. With the FSLI calipers it's not possible. There are alternative options using either the Dynalite or Dynapro (Midilite) calipers but the pad size is smaller than OEM/Superlite options.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddow
Having recently looked at something similar, I am quite interested to know what grade of Alu you are using and if any FEA has been completed?
Also, what are the "HD Rotors", assuming UL is "ultra Light". Are any other brands of rotors available, or would it just be Wilwood?
See above for the specs on materials used.
Wilwood supply the rotors in 2 grades of iron.
UL are the Ultralite rotors and designed for fast road/occasional trackday cars and very cost effective rotors.
HD are the Heavy Duty rotors. These are recommended for higher powered trackday prepared cars. They are around 0.8kg heavier per side.

There are other rotors available in a multitude of sizes and specs which we can use, but then we're going into the realms of a one-off kit rather than a group buy.
We recently produced a kit for a customer with a Civic FN2. It started out with the Superlite 4 pot radial mount calipers with 316x28mm cast discs. He then upgraded to 345x32mm cast discs but decided he wanted even bigger/lighter and we've now made him a 350x32mm 2 piece setup which weighs a good few kgs less than the original 316x28mm cast disc!

Civic FN2 front 350x32mm setup

Civic FN2 front 350x32mm 2 piece setup compared to 316x28mm cast.

These cars are light and sharp and renowned for their handling. We've put this kit together to try and help with this and to some extent improve the original setup without the added cost of needing to change wheels.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just out of interest, do you have an image of the FEA showing max stress / Deflection? Everyone loves a good rainbow coloured picture.
What software do you use?

Quick Reply: GB - Wilwood Superlite 4 pot big brake kit