S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Advice on (Dried) Tar / Dirt Streak Removal after Track Day

Old 08-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on (Dried) Tar / Dirt Streak Removal after Track Day

Hello S2KI!

I'll keep it brief. Basically - Working on getting an unsightly streak removed from a lower part of my driver side panel after a recent driving event + traveling on some newer (Re)Paved roads.

Pics --- The longer/thicker black streak + dirtiness to the right of it, not TOO worried about the lower body panel but would like to clean up most of it.
Advice on (Dried) Tar / Dirt Streak Removal after Track Day-v52sfjo.jpg
Advice on (Dried) Tar / Dirt Streak Removal after Track Day-gppwsfc.jpg

It looked a heck of a lot worse than it does currently, but I either ran out of elbow grease or I need to be a bit more "Resourceful".
Have already tried simply washing the car, WD40 / Goo Gone, 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, Peanut Butter, and Meguires/Turtle Wax Tar/Bug/Wax Remover. (And also Bleche-white into a rag and 'careful' dabbing)

Only thing I haven't tried that seems a bit obvious was claying and re-waxing that spot (really the whole car since it's due). The Passenger side freed up without any complaints during the initial wash.

I'm worried about damaging the paint permanently... Trying to get the car back in tip-top shape again as I'm poised to sell but it seems to be one nagging thing after another.

I greatly appreciate any insight on the matter, I'm a step away from torching the sunnuvagun.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

Very surprised the 90%IPA didn't get this off. Is the streak raised at all? Like you can feel it with your fingernail?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:32 PM

I can not, Seems smoothed with the rest of the wax/clear (whatever is left on the car as it sits) which I find to be the oddest part.

After work today I tried some mineral spirits and other (non abrasive) paint surface cleaner a friend had and it didn't do much unfortunately.

I'm assuming at this point I need to man up and use something more abrasive? Out of ideas aside from hitting that spot with a heat gun and chemical over and over but I don't want to risk warping the panel if physically possible.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 136 Likes on 106 Posts

Hit it with the clay and see what happens.

If you have to go more abrasive, start with PlastX or similar and move up from there to a fine polish. Its a small area so you can't really do too much damage. That shit should already be off, though!

Make yourself some mud flaps for the front wheel wells, too! There's a DIY here somewhere!

EDIT: Here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/679...#entry21459734
Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Administrator
Admin
Community Organizer

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

DIY mud flaps is a great tip as far as preventative measures go. You might give Nu Finish a try. I've had good luck with removing tar and cone marks with Nu Finish.

Moving to Wash & Wax.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 PM

This stuff is amazing, simply spray it on wait a few minutes and wipe away. I've used it for a couple years now and it's excellent!

Car Pro Tar Remover
Old 08-06-2015, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by JulieU
I've had good luck with removing tar and cone marks with Nu Finish.
This. I used to scrub and scrub to get tire marks off my car from the track. I tried Nu Finish and it comes off with literally zero effort. I also had some road tar that I could never get off, came off in 2 seconds with Nu Finish. Couldn't recommend more.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:28 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

paint thinner or brake cleaner.

darcy
Old 08-20-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to race a white 65 Mustang in a vintage class. We would always have pretty stubborn rubber marks on the car from marbles. Turtle Wax bug and tar always worked like a charm, so surprised to hear you didn't have much success with that. Worked 20x better than paint thinner.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:47 AM

Stoners Tarminator!

Quick Reply: Advice on (Dried) Tar / Dirt Streak Removal after Track Day