S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So who's S2000 made the Blackstone Monthly Report

Old 02-13-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default So who's S2000 made the Blackstone Monthly Report

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f64139...t_Feb_2015.pdf

If you can't read the report from the link it is a 2011 oil analysis from an engine that took a dump a bit afterward, apparently due to oil squirter issues.

Just curious who's it was and if they are still around.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

If you can't read the report from the link it is a 2011 oil analysis from an engine that took a dump a bit afterward, apparently due to oil squirter issues.

The diagnosis regarding the oil squirts are wrong... many many many people run with older banjo bolts... Some of the stroked motors bend them out the way so they don't make contact with the piston.

The only time I think you should be concerned regarding the banjo bolts/oil squirters are a) Forced injected b) Driving long distance at high rpm.

Everyone else should upgrade for piece of mind but it will not cause bearing failure

If that is your concern ... Otherwise why would you want to know the owner?
Old 02-13-2015, 03:32 PM

I was not really posting it as a concern, I was just curious if it was anyone on the boards car. Blackstone sends customers emails and it included this report, I just found it to be interesting. Enough guys send off for reports on the board and we are always discussing them, figured someone would know the car.

Yeah I run old squirters and am not concerned, if I was going FI I would switch.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

I had a bad UOA just before engine failure, but that was not me or the lab that I used. Also curious to know if that was someone on this forum.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:06 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Originally Posted by bgoetz' timestamp='1423861245' post='23505254

The diagnosis regarding the oil squirts are wrong... many many many people run with older banjo bolts... Some of the stroked motors bend them out the way so they don't make contact with the piston.

The only time I think you should be concerned regarding the banjo bolts/oil squirters are a) Forced injected b) Driving long distance at high rpm.

Everyone else should upgrade for piece of mind but it will not cause bearing failure

If that is your concern ... Otherwise why would you want to know the owner?
Afaik, the 00-02 banjo bolts led to early engine failures, mainly in Europe, which is why Honda redesigned them and had a recall there. I'm not sure I'd say they aren't a concern, but at least it's something to be aware of - don't take a long highway trip in 4th gear.

I think the problem happened mainly with European S2000s running on the Autoban or something - like you stated - long periods of high rpm. Euro S2000s also typically ran synth oil while NA cars used dino oil, which some claimed might lead to the issues as well.

And yes the owner is here on S2ki.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

IT WAS MEEEE!!!

Yes aww was uttered as I read the original report but said well it's got ~110K and well it's older. I knew I would be replacing the engine some day........did not expect it to be that soon.

I did not have reports prior to that to "see it coming" and I did it just as a "WHY NOT"! Ran Mobile 1 since 11K miles.

No inkling that this was coming till it WENT and it spun the bearing. Then it was the TCT tick on crack. Like a screw driver tapping the engine. Very focused on the intake runners of 3&4 so I knew it was not the TCT or other issue.

Bore Scope revealed the full extent of SH*T smeared up and down the cylinder walls with much scoring. Never tore the engine apart sold it compete with the explicit instructions that it needed to be re-built and all that led up to it. Head was in perfect condition so only bottom end needed work.

I did run 4.77 gearing for a while but not sure if that would have been the cause of this.

I saw the update for the bolts when I was at ~80K miles and at that point DAMAGE DONE or it will be FINE.....so I thought. I ran under that same understanding that NA = OK......FI = UPGRADE.

I am not of that opinion any longer. Sprayers were upgraded for a reason and even if it's just for added piece of mind and assurance.....sort of like upgrading to AP2 keepers. It SHOULD be fine but there might be a time that it's not and some extra coverage would be great.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:17 AM

Wow, what were your driving habits like? Did you track the car? Did you ever run it low on oil at any point?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Wow, what were your driving habits like? Did you track the car? Did you ever run it low on oil at any point?
Drove it decently hard but not a crazy person. Moderate to aggressive. I knew how to drive the car and didn't abuse it.

NEVER any low oils. It used a little oil but that was fairly uniform and didn't vary over the years. This was common for my era engine.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I messaged Blackstone after I was sent that e-mail stating that I don't see how oil squirters led to rod bearing failure... In addition, I would be more interested in the results if the motor were opened up.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I messaged Blackstone after I was sent that e-mail stating that I don't see how oil squirters led to rod bearing failure... In addition, I would be more interested in the results if the motor were opened up.
It's VERY well documented that this can lead to bearing failure. Please use Google.

Oh and you see all the stars above my name? Yeah I have been around for a while. Picked up the car Nov. 1999 and been very involved with the community even prior to that! I do not know who opened it up after it was sold. Though the $h*t covered cylinder walls(heat burning) and the metallic TICK TICK TICK tell me it was a spun bearing. The Blackstone ticket specifically said BEARING WEAR.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/923769-oil-jet-bolts/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/867...t-banjo-bolts/

http://www.custom-car.us/blog/index....he-honda-s2000

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/764...n-pre-02-cars/

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/other...g-problem.html

My comment was general in that I was looking to find out about the engine and if there were any issues with the engine as it was my first report. Looking to know about any scored cylinders. I did have at that point some lower compression #'s mostly on the rear cylinders and likely what prompted getting the test. Nothing that was extreme. It was a cold compression test and not HOT/WARM but compression came in line when I put a little oil on the top of the cylinder.

Directly from the report:
JIM: You are rightly concerned about a scored cylinder/low compression. High aluminum shows piston wear, and iron could very well be from the cylinder. We're also seeing bearing wear (copper and lead.)
Silicon may be part of the problem if it's dirt. Silicon can have other sources too, like harmless sealers and lubes. If it's dirt though, that could certainly be causing a lot of this wear. 0.5% fuel is usually not a problem, though none should have been present after the sampling technique you described. Caution. Averages show typical wear after 7,600 mi on the oil.

As we know our cylinder walls are not made of iron.
Those using metallic oil plugs of course must know.......... Aluminum, copper, lead, nickel etc. will not be picked up and so there is plenty of metal that can float around the engine! I personally put a magnet from a hard drive on my oil filter to try and capture any metal with magnetic properties that could be stopped.

Quick Reply: So who's S2000 made the Blackstone Monthly Report