S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help ASAP

Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help ASAP

So I'm kinda giving up on this car. I've had nothing but problems since I bought it about 8 months ago. I just did a clutch change, got everything I needed to, did everything I needed to.. Put it all back together, all greased up, all sensors and such.. my mom wanted me to start it on the street, so we backed it up and the battery was dead. No problem, we jump started it, it turned on, sounded kinda sketchy starting up and a little sketchy when it was running, so I get out to hear better from the engine bay.. I just see a little bit of smoke and it smells like something is burning, so I turned it off as soon as I could.

Before I started it, I figured if it didn't work, it was probably the slave cylinder rod not being connected correctly to the release fork, so please keep that in mind and continue reading. (I really hope thats the problem, because that's an extremely easy fix)

I can't remember the specific sounds off-hand of the first time I tried starting it, but it did turn over and stayed running. If it was the slave cylinder that was not connected properly, I'm guessing that might have been the weird sound, but I don't think the engine would have turned over if that was the case.

The second time I tried turning it on, and the following tries, it sounded like a machine gun, did not turn over, and the battery shorted out after I released the ignition. My mom was in front of the car and said, and I agree, that it sounded like a starter problem (maybe the teeth not aligned?).

Also note I installed a used Genuine OEM stock clutch (I can't remember what year), but it has less than 15k miles on it and it looks like it's in good condition. I replaced the Throwout Bearing, Pilot Bearing, and Resurfaced the Flywheel. I changed the MTF. I torqued everything according to specs (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/500969-torque-specs/). When I was taking everything apart, I made a detailed list of everything, in order.. So I know I didn't miss anything. I greased everything needed: inner clutch splines, inner throwout bearing, a little on the throwout bearing guide, main shaft splines, release fork, and slave cylinder rod. ONE thing I'm not sure of... After I tightened all of the tranny bellhousing bolts, I went to go engage the release fork and apparently I had been tightening the release fork onto the pressure plate. It bent the highest sitting metal on the PP, which caused two of the teeth to bend about 1 or 2 mm to the rear of the vehicle. This really pissed me off because it takes hours for my friends and I to take the tranny off, and then the same about to put it back on, so I didn't want to take the tranny off for the 3rd time, so I used a flathead to bend the teeth back to normal as much as I could (it didn't bent back much) and I continued on, hoping it wouldn't be a major issue. I engaged the release fork, and put the whole car back together.

That brings us to the present situation. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Please comment even if you're not sure.
What could have been smoking? My mom guessed it might just be residual stuff burning away, but as much as I'd like to believe that, I really don't.

This is my first time doing a big project on any vehicle, so I don't doubt at all that I f@#ked something up. If I really seriously have to take the transmission off again, I will be beyond annoyed. But I'll do whatever it takes, as long as it doesn't cost another $500.

This is the DIY I used, along with reading a few others. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/779...#entry22506403
THANK YOU
Old 01-25-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

The machine gun sound was from the low battery voltage not having enough juice to spin the starter over good. The smoke was more than likely grime burning off the exhaust and header where you handled it.

Now about bending the clutch parts by tightening the bellhousing on it...that very well could have tweaked something. Get a new battery or have yours deep cycle charged and tested. Start it and let the crap burn off the exhaust then see if the clutch functions like it should.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 PM

Thank you SO MUCH!! That's so good to hear. Is there anything else that could cause the burning smell and smoke? I agree that is probably the cause though since it came from under the header.

I guess Autozone charges batteries for free. Thank the lord for that one!

I'm really hoping those bent PP teeth aren't going to screw me over.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

The bent teeth *might* be an issue. Depends on how badly they were bent. The throw out bearing rides on those teeth and it is always spinning. If you hear a clicking noise or you feel shaking in the clutch pedal, then you know that the teeth are an issue. They might straighten themselves out over time....but....you really should have stopped and got a new pressure plate if they were bent that badly. At 9k RPM, a slight deformation might be an issue.

Even at relatively low speeds....3K RPM, lets say.....the clutch is spinning at 50 times per second.

Again...hard to say without looking at the clutch plate. But you might be ok.

I'm sure that your starter clicking problem and your smoke problem are just as the other user said. Your battery is dead and you have grease and oil all over your exhaust parts. Take it to a car wash and pressure wash underneath and in the engine bay. DON'T force water into any electronic parts.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:30 AM

Yeah the teeth aren't bent THAT bad, but it's very concerning. How could there be grease and oil on the exhaust? Just from my hands touching it? I don't think it would smoke like that. There wasn't much smoke, but it still seems strange.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:31 AM

I took a few pictures and a video of the PP bent, but idk how to upload anything.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Post the video to YouTube or the photos to Photobucket. Or some other online audio/video access sites. Then, post link to those files.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Belkin623
Yeah the teeth aren't bent THAT bad, but it's very concerning. How could there be grease and oil on the exhaust? Just from my hands touching it? I don't think it would smoke like that. There wasn't much smoke, but it still seems strange.
From your hands...from filling the trans, etc. A little bit of oil makes a ton of smoke. Its common to see smoke after putting major stuff back together unless you pressure wash it before starting it or something.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:39 AM

Not the best video, but this is all I could really get.

http://youtu.be/aDX8he9jr7Q
Old 01-28-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

I can't see where it's bent...

Quick Reply: Help ASAP