S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

High negative fuel trims at idle

Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High negative fuel trims at idle

Issue still here. No amount of googling is helping. More details about what is happening.
Rough idle happens intermittently so I am focusing on the fuel trims right now.

Short term fuel trims are around -10.9 to -15. Long term is around -8 while driving. At idle, it slowly heads towards double digits.
Did couple tests to see when the fuel trims drop (running rich).

1. At idle, fuel trims -10.9+ but when I slowly release the clutch pedal and the car starts rolling w/ no gas pedal, fuel trims increase to around -5 the whole time the car is rolling around ~5mph w/ no gas pedal.

2. Driving normally fuel trims are single digits all the way 9 to -9. This is true at any rpm range as well as WOT.

3. On deceleration, fuel trims are 0.0

4. As soon as I clutch in and cruise, fuel trims tanks, sometimes to -20s and then returns to the -10 to -15 range.

5. Parked, in neutral, revving to 1.5k rpms fuel trims are in double digits. 2k rpms half my logs are showing -6 to -9, other half are showing -10+ (inconclusive until I take more logs).

So far, I've checked the coils and plugs while doing a compression test. 240 235 240 250. Valved adjusted by blacktrax in april. Ran redline through + another tank of gas. Cleaned MAP, IAC.

Orig post below
Spoiler

Old 12-22-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by taifei
On my 5-6 start up of the day, after about 30 minutes of driving + 30 minutes of sitting, I tried to start my car and the idle was very rough with rpms around 500. It felt like the car was on the edge of stalling. I shut it down and tried again a minute later and same results. Waited about another 5-10 minutes and it started up a little rough, rpms around 900, but didn't feel like it was going to die on me, so I let it idle for a bit and drove it home. Once I was home, I shut it down for about 30 minutes, plugged up my obd2 scanner and torque app and started logging the fuel trims which showed it fluctuating around -10 to -15 on the STFT. Long term was showing up around -10.2. I unplugged the battery, let the ecu reset, started up the car again after about 2 hours. The start was the same, slightly rougher than normal, around 900rpms. Fuel trims were still fluctuating between -10 and -15. In the morning, complete cold start, engine fired up fine, felt like normal. Idle was probably around 1300, but fuel trims still hovering around -15. By now the LTFT is showing -10.8. Driving around shows normal STFT ranging from 9 to -9 but mainly staying within 5 to -5. However, whenever I step on the clutch, the STFT starts rising back up to -15, sometimes hitting -25. Later this day, after another 40 minute drive (my 3rd or 4th drive of the day but the earlier ones were no longer than 10 minutes), and 45 minutes parked time, I tried to start the car and the low and almost stalling roughness occurred again. RPMs during idle was logged as 561, 435, 479.. (STFT was 0 but could have been that I did not give it enough time to register.) 2nd start logged rpms 155, 693, 739, 744, 779, 870, 902 in about 2 second intervals. The slow climb in rpms can explain the slightly rough starts that smooths out when it reaches normal idling revs. On my drive home, I noticed that sometimes the STFT will hit -25 and found out that if I held it at 1500 rpms in 1st gear, it will be -25, but 1700+ it will be back in the normal single digit range. Only thing I have done to the car was fill up a full tank of gas and install a catback (tanabe medalion touring). It doesn't seem like a catback should be the issue and is just a coincidence, but I guess the next step is to bolt that back on and check since that has been the only change. So far, I've checked the coils and plugs while doing a compression test. 240 235 240 250. Valved adjusted by blacktrax in april. I'm still learning the torque app so I will try to set it to log different data. Just going to shotgun the list of things to check, but if someone has a good idea of what is going on, that can save me a lot of time.
Hey my friend with his ap1 is having a similar issue.

We are in the milpitas area too.

Currently his car is at tech 3 but they have no insight either.

So far we have tried:
Spark plugs
Valve adjust
New iacv
Replace ecu
Check grounds
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here crazy low idling like 700ish don't know why
Old 12-23-2014, 03:59 PM

so I bounced a few things off of a friend and he suggested based on both of our scenarios that possibly it could be the following due to a running rich scenario:

a) injectors are failed in OPEN
b) spray pattern of injectors is bad (most evident at idle)
c) bad fuel pressure regulator
Old 12-25-2014, 08:20 AM

Going to be checking iac, map, fpr, injectors. Seems like you did some of those already.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:28 PM

i haven't done the FPR or messed with the injectors

We replaced the IAC, Map, primary 02 and spark plugs

how do your plugs and 02 sensor look?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:35 PM

Just cleaned the IAC and MAP. Still have high negative fuel trims at idle. Spark plugs looked fine. Pulled the injectors and they looked pretty grimy. Going to run redline through it and see if it cleans up the injectors. Hopefully the negative fuel trims is due to a leaking injector that can't shut because of the buildup.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had high negative fuel trims and a rough idle for a while, with a P0304 to go with it. Didn't see any results from using Redline. I had the fuel injectors professionally cleaned by these guys. One of the injectors was still bad after cleaning (cylinder 4), so I replaced that one. The car ran better, but a month later the P0304 code came back. Finally another valve adjustment did the trick.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:47 AM

Bump for new ideas. More details posted up top.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What mods are on the car (I.e. forced induction)? Also MY of car?

Utah

P.S. Was this the car that had a catback recently installed? I recall another thread but similar but too tired to respond

Quick Reply: High negative fuel trims at idle