S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

EVS 70SSP with Test Pipe. Laguna Seca Sound 90db?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVS 70SSP with Test Pipe. Laguna Seca Sound 90db?

Hi guys!

I just signed up for the SpeedSF track days at Laguna Seca Jan 3rd-4th. It will be my first time there..driving up from OC, Socal! Super excited!
Anyway I believe there is a 90dB limit all weekend..has anyone ran this exhaust with a test pipe and passed the 90db limit? My intake and header is stock. Just have the exhaust and test pipe but I still have the OEM cat if I need to swap it on for that weekend. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

I doubt you'll pass - even with the OEM cat.

With the exception of the ASM Siren, I don't think there's a single tip exhaust for the S2K that will pass the 90 dB limit. At 90 dB, most duals will fail.

90 dB is really low - short of an OEM exhaust, I don't think there's any after market system that will pass that.

They measure your car at the worst possible part of the track - when you pass under the bridge after T5 (or is it 6) while you're going uphill, which is where your car is probably loudest, and not a spot where you want to feather the throttle.

Anyway, GL. I hope it was a cheap track day - 90 dB is BS...
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 PM

I have read posts from Evasive saying their S2000 has run on the track multiple times..but maybe those were on days that had more lenient sound restrictions. I'm not too sure. I'll run stock if I HAVE to...
Old 12-18-2014, 12:38 AM

Laguna Seca runs numerous events with varying sound restrictions. I know Speed Ventures commonly has 92 dB days, and sometimes other events allow as high as 98-100 dB.

With about a 98% degree of certainty, I can say that you will not pass with that exhaust.

I say, put the OEM exhaust on, keep the TP and bring your OEM cat. Most of the power is made from the TP anyway. If you fail that, swap your OEM cat on. I'm fairly certain it will be an empty track day - at 90 dB they've essentially excluded anyone in a Corvette or a Porsche...

If they black flag you 3 times throughout the day, that's it - you're done. They kick you off the track...
Old 12-18-2014, 03:38 AM

Yeah I think I'll just swap to stock for this event per your recommendation...don't wanna drive up all the way for nothing. I just don't won't get to hear ththat sweet exhaust note thanks though!
Old 12-18-2014, 03:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is one of my favorite sounding exhausts. For sure you wont pass with this if the level is 90 db.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock cr exhaust + tune + test pipe and I have been to laguna seca multiple times and passed

Ap2 + asm s special 70mm + test pipe + k&n fipk and that has also passed no lift

I've heard the evs 70 ssp that thing is so loud I bet easily over 100db a full tilt.

Just remember they aren't testing right next to the exhaust. The metering station is outside of the fence of the track, so you have track space, kitty litter, concrete barrier, fence for the db level to attenuate before it reaches the sensor.

Also you can build a dolphin tip to clamp over and direct the exhaust note away from the outside of the track and down
Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gptoyz
Also you can build a dolphin tip to clamp over and direct the exhaust note away from the outside of the track and down

Yep.

Do a Google Image Search for "laguna seca exhaust turn down" and you'll see what a lot of drivers end up doing to deal with the sound limits.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by tkwon4755
Yeah I think I'll just swap to stock for this event per your recommendation...don't wanna drive up all the way for nothing. I just don't won't get to hear ththat sweet exhaust note thanks though!
And if you get kicked off of the track, you won't be hearing that sweet exhaust note either - at least not on track anyway...
Old 12-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

90 is really low..i usually go when it's 92.

I'd get a tip made if you're going to go to laguna seca often. Easier than reinstalling parts every time you go.

The other option is to lift throttle as you drive by the measuring station. it sucks because you're already going uphill, but at least you can mash throttle everywhere else.

And you don't want to get black flagged for exhaust. i've had days cut short there

Quick Reply: EVS 70SSP with Test Pipe. Laguna Seca Sound 90db?