S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

UPDATE! 2002 AP1 tranny fail? HELP!

Old 12-14-2014, 05:36 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I would exhaust all external efforts before pulling the trans. Make sure the system is fully bleed, clutch rod adjusted, etc.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:37 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

Exedy oem clutch is junk, and I won't install one even if a customer asks me too.

The gash in the slave ball is from the fork jamming up at some point in its life. It may not be related at all to any current issues.

This thread has gone way off track.

DON'T pull the trans until you do the simple external stuff. Your hydraulics are not bled correctly, guaranteed.

I stand by anything negative said about the dealer. They have some nerve trying to rip people off for 7k. How about "hey man you went air bound, lets get the hydraulics right and assess from there".

Post when you are paying attention and ready, and ill tell you how to fix your car.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Exedy oem clutch is junk, and I won't install one even if a customer asks me too.

The gash in the slave ball is from the fork jamming up at some point in its life. It may not be related at all to any current issues.

This thread has gone way off track.

DON'T pull the trans until you do the simple external stuff. Your hydraulics are not bled correctly, guaranteed.

I stand by anything negative said about the dealer. They have some nerve trying to rip people off for 7k. How about "hey man you went air bound, lets get the hydraulics right and assess from there".

Post when you are paying attention and ready, and ill tell you how to fix your car.
Hey Billman, I appreciate you trying and help me. Alright, Im ready. Im not gonna take the transmission off until I make sure that I do the simple things first. I already installed a new slave cylinder and bled it, but probably didn't bleed it right. Ordered a new master cylinder and it should arrive on Tuesday. Also, gonna get transmission fluid when I can and replace that. Ill follow your diy for bleed the slave, when you unbolt it from the tranny, point the bleeder upward and let the gravity do all the work. Im just wondering if I have lots of air in the clutch line, how long will it take? The only thing that worries me is the weird sound when I try to shift when the car is on. I posted a video in one of my earlier post. Its on photo bucket, would you check it out please, just to make sure?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:04 AM

Here is a link to a youtube video I just posted. http://youtu.be/zNiMObqlU10 It almost sounds like something is slipping???
Old 12-14-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fernando.
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1417631678' post='23425711
First, don't go to the dealer. They know nothing about these cars, overcharge, do shoddy work, and blame you for their mistakes.
Tell us how you really feel.

I work at a dealership, a Honda one, and I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.

Anyways, yes this sounds like a hydraulic issue. If you're saying the slave is leaking that's most definitely the problem, get a new one on, bleed the system properly and you should be up and running again.
In your defense if you lived near me I would probably take my car to you (unless it was something that I was getting charged wayyy more than I should be, which sometimes is the case but sometimes not - and that's not your fault, that's Mr. Honda).

I think what Car Analogy is saying is that 90%+ of Honda mechanics will mess something up on this car, and most of their cars unless it's an oil or another fluid change. And that probably isn't just a Honda thing, but a dealership thing in general. I've been to Honda several times with my wife's car and it's difficult even talking to those guys because they never seem to give a crap (and this is at several Honda locations since we've moved around a lot; Atlanta, Columbia SC, Greensboro NC...). You would probably cringe if I had a recording of the conversation and played it back for you.

Nothing against you mate.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2002AP1S2k
Here is a link to a youtube video I just posted. http://youtu.be/zNiMObqlU10 It almost sounds like something is slipping???
Well, is that sound caused because you still have air in your system and the
clutch is not fully disengaged? i.e., when you try to shift from neutral to some
gear with pedal pushed all the way down, you may be hearing the clutch slipping against the flywheel or pressure plate because it is still in contact with them ?
Does it do that same thing if you put it in neutral and pump the clutch pedal 10 times
fast, hold it down, and then try to select a gear like in the video ?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:15 PM

I just bled the slave cylinder. Gravity method and nothing. Still the same, still makes a weird noise. Doesn't matter how much I pump the clutch it's still making the noise. Btw when I bled it, there weren't any bibles coming out. Does that mean I'm doing it wrong or there is no air in the system? I unbolted the slave, pointed upwards as billman has described, opened the bleeder and no bibles were coming out. I'm so frustrated. I got no clue what to do. Checked the master cylinder and besides the dark looking grease or fluid didn't find my floor to be wet from a leaking master?!!!!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2002AP1S2k
I just bled the slave cylinder. Gravity method and nothing. Still the same, still makes a weird noise. Doesn't matter how much I pump the clutch it's still making the noise. Btw when I bled it, there weren't any bibles coming out. Does that mean I'm doing it wrong or there is no air in the system? I unbolted the slave, pointed upwards as billman has described, opened the bleeder and no bibles were coming out. I'm so frustrated. I got no clue what to do. Checked the master cylinder and besides the dark looking grease or fluid didn't find my floor to be wet from a leaking master?!!!!
Well, if you bled the system, there should be no more dark fluid in the master cylinder; so your comment about grease is a little disconcerting. What was in the master cylinder is contaminated brake fluid. Clean fluid is honey colored. That's what you want to have in there when you finish bleeding, although some of the dark matter from the contaminated fluid can stick to the inside of the plastic reservoir.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:42 PM

That noise almost sounds like a spring off of the clutch disk broke off and is grinding against the flywheel. Aside from a leaking slave I think you might also need a clutch kit
Old 12-14-2014, 02:12 PM

I meant dark Greece looking thing inside the car on the master cylinder. Master cylinder got clean fresh brake fluid. I'm changing my tranny fluid tomorrow. Waiting on the new master on Tuesday. I'm hoping the new master will fix it

Quick Reply: UPDATE! 2002 AP1 tranny fail? HELP!