S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

UPDATE! 2002 AP1 tranny fail? HELP!

Old 12-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE! 2002 AP1 tranny fail? HELP!

Alright, here is a problem. Me and my friend were cruising on a highway yesterday and all of a sudden the transition felt really weird, hard to shift and making weird noises that is hard for me to describe. My first thought was that transition is gone, however about three days ago, I found my clutch to be really soft and engaging at the bottom of the floor, I checked the master cylinder and it was low, very low, so I added more fluid and it was ok for a few days, until yesterday. I checked the fluid again and it was full. My question is, is it possible that its just a slave cylinder and not the whole tranny? I already called Honda and they said new Ap1 tranny would be 7k, and I don't have anywhere near that. Even with the car off, its still hard to shift into gears. If anyone could help me identify the problem, that would be very helpful. By the way, I already ordered a new slave cylinder, since that would be the cheapest way to try and fix it. Thanks for your help in advance.
Evan
Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

First, don't go to the dealer. They know nothing about these cars, overcharge, do shoddy work, and blame you for their mistakes.

Your problem is most likely one of the below. Do all of them since they are so easy. You most likely do not need a new slave cylinder (master is more likely to go, and even that is rare).

- change clutch fluid and bleed fluid (I bet this is your issue, air in the system) Be sure to follow the gravity bleed method found on this forum. Be sure not to let fluid go low during this procedure or you make it worse, not better.

- adjust out the free play in the clutch pedal under the dash. Easy to do. Again, follow the diy on this forum.

- change trans fluid. Use the correct fluid. Make sure car is level when you top it off. Again, look for the diy.

- regrease shifter fork. You have to remove slave cylinder for this so if you replace the cylinder be sure to regrease at the same time. Again, diy is on this forum. Use the correct grease. Polish the tip of the pusher.

None of these cost more than a few bucks, and most likely will fix your issue. You almost certainly don't need a new trans.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks for your input. However, I'm 100% sure that slave needs to be replaced, because its leaking. Im just hoping I don't need a new transmission. And I will do all of the above after I get the slave cylinder in.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my AP2's tranny due to an improperly torqued drain bolt followed by spewing all of the fluid on the main straight at my local track, so I have some insight.

Best case;: Like car analogy said, this sounds like a hydraulics issue. Doing the slave and master cylinders shouldn't dost you more than a couple hundred if you DIY, maybe $400 max if you take it to a shop and order the parts from Majestic Honda.

Worst case: You can find used AP1 transmissions between $4-600. Shop around R&R costs, they should run between $6-900 depending where you live and prevailing shop hour rates. With an AP2 tranny (costs more) I was able to have the whole swap done for $1500.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

you probably have air in the line from running the fluid low
Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
First, don't go to the dealer. They know nothing about these cars, overcharge, do shoddy work, and blame you for their mistakes.
Tell us how you really feel.

I work at a dealership, a Honda one, and I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.

Anyways, yes this sounds like a hydraulic issue. If you're saying the slave is leaking that's most definitely the problem, get a new one on, bleed the system properly and you should be up and running again.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fernando.
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1417631678' post='23425711
Tell us how you really feel.

I work at a dealership, a Honda one, and I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.

Anyways, yes this sounds like a hydraulic issue. If you're saying the slave is leaking that's most definitely the problem, get a new one on, bleed the system properly and you should be up and running again.
While I don't think Car Analogy's statement was necessarily a fair one, I think you would agree that another owner would be lucky to get someone like you (someone who also owns one) if they brought their S2k into a dealership. The simple fact that they quoted him $7k says to walk away very fast!
Old 12-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Guys, thanks for all of your input. If anyone is interested, I can update y'all after I get my new slave and see if that fixes my tranny issue.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always update, you may help someone in the future.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:24 PM

Update. So, I got the new slave in today, and tried to install it, and then bleed it. I probably didn't bleed it right, because when I turn the car on and put in in gear (any gear), its still difficult to put it in gear, and when I do the transmission still makes a weird noise, its not loud, but I can still notice it. Anybody else have any input? I have no idea what to do. I'm going to try and bleed it some more tomorrow and probably gonna try and change my transmission fluid. Below are the pics of my old slave cylinder. Even if it was leaking I doubt its supposed to look like that. Somebody help!!!!!!

Quick Reply: UPDATE! 2002 AP1 tranny fail? HELP!