Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1

Old 08-27-2014, 01:51 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Still a bit of a pain eh - and i bet the loom isn't quite standard enough to be a 'plug and play' job you could DIY.

Once you get it back, spend some time looking around the loom for pinch points / stress points and protect it / secure it as needed to prevent future issues. Also you can use Dielectric grease to insulate all the plug connections from water ingress. Pay particular attention to the places water can gather or fall into.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, not something I'd like to try, it does retain aspects of the Rover wiring and these guys do the conversions on a regular basis so they won't be second guessing anything.

Thanks for the pointers
Old 08-27-2014, 02:22 AM

Oh, in other more joyful news. I had a go in a supercharged atom and Gallardo Balboni on one of the Everyman experience days at Prodrive on the weekend.

The Atom being 600bhp per ton was the scariest experience ever. I was told to leave it in 5th and 6th but I decided to ignore this and when the instructor could see I wasn't an idiot he was happy with me using 3rd up to the red line. We did 3rd, 4th, 5th to the line and then into sixth. I was actually scared, it was so fast, but thinking I'd never get a chance again I kept it pinned. Corners we pottered round, but the go it has it just incredible. The lack of screen and doors I really wans't a fan of, your whole body gets blown around and its hard to tell what is the car moving and what is the winde moving you. I expect you'd get used to it.

The Balboni was a real brute. Not refined at all, the engine moving massively on gear changes (and this had the newer smoother twin clutch box!) and braking. It also had pads that had so much bite it was hard to brake smoothly. Its a car that would take a long time to learn how to drive fast and I can see how you could buy one and crash it immedietly if you had no driving expereince and started to try to hussle it

The day was really well run, really recommended and a much needed pick me up given the Elise has been at Essex for longer than it has been in my drive.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sympathise with the mess you are picking up. If you ever feel brave enough to tackle this type of job with my help, get in touch. Front end clam removal is manageable particularly when you have someone with you that has done it. You will find you are much more empowered when you work on the car yourself as you understand what is down there.

You will start on quite simple jobs and gain confidence.

These cars are meccano. Don't be phased.

Happy to help
Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 PM

Thanks a lot for the kind offer, much appreciated!

In future I may dabble and try and teach myself bit by bit. Especially the series 1, they really are quite kit car. At the minute It isnt time to learn, just get it fixed so I can use it before the crap weather sets in.

With any luck Ill have it back soon with some more positive posts. I do have a rather tasty black subtle diffuser waiting to go on
Old 08-27-2014, 10:42 PM

That's def a diy job.

You know where I am WHEN the radiator fails....
Old 09-07-2014, 11:52 AM

A quick bump. I now have the car back, and after a big bill thankfully it has been problem free since.

I picked it up Friday and have put about 3-4 hours on the car so far and its been running as it should, so hopefully all fixed

I went to a breakfast meet in Essex, The Hare in Roxwell. Its a monthly meet. The engine install got quite a few 'that looks like it could be factory fit' comments, so testament to the Stark kit and the wiring Essex Autosport did. The loom is much tidier now, it even has a neatly mounted OBD port now so I can use that if needed in the future.

Out in the car it makes me concentrate at full capacity when I'm 'on it', I can't see why you would ever supercharge one of these unless it was just for track! It scares me and I find myself using the F word repeatedly when I've just given it an extended bit of beans on some twisty bits. On the motorway I notice the outright lack of power a bit, but going for the JDM box with shorter 4th, 5th and 6th should sort that out. That swap will have to wait until next year though, I've spent enough this year.

Here are some iphone photos I took of the meet. Some very cool cars turbed up, over 100. There is one more this year in October, it is the 1st Sat of the month if any one else is near by.

Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-o9svhah.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-d1wx2mv.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-dwoxzcx.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-ogtv7c3.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-vcqpzbf.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-81bafxd.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-lrg1yzm.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-34jsmze.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-yfnxpkk.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-ki9m1yg.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-ctpkgxu.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-i1o3vs1.jpg
Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1-qmambxo.jpg
Old 09-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Some seriously cool metal there. And fibreglass

Great news on the motor. You can enjoy it now!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Yep, glad I can put that bad start behind me now. Its a shame the evenings are drawing in, as that doesnt really leave time to get out after work now, once the traffic has died down.

I'll have to look at getting it on track at somepoint

Ive been watching this guys videos, some very tidy driving. I'm not sure I would have caught this one!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYabjQ1hCbE[/media]
Old 09-22-2014, 12:35 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQXD_lJx5Cg&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Loud pedal at 3 minutes, but the comments before and at the end are really worth watching, my Mum is awesome

"This is like the cars Hamilton drives"

Oh, when shes asks does the car have a CAT, I was too busy concentrating on driving and said no instead of yes!
Finally, no I don't film myself driving as she asks. I'd taped over the recording light because I'm a bad son.

Quick Reply: Another new Lotus owner - K20 powered Elise S1