UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How long for a clutch to bed in ?

Old 08-04-2014, 03:52 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Default How long for a clutch to bed in ?

I know it's 500 miles and I've only done 50-60 miles but in 2nd and 3rd near the redline there is still some slippage/wavering in power delivery.

The previous clutch was on its way out and two of the springs were loose but there were still a reasonable amount of material left on the friction disc (I was expecting completely smooth, almost to the rivets). However, the main reason I replaced (using a full OEM Honda kit) was that I was getting the same wavering in power delivery at the top of the rev range and I'm beginning to suspect it's something else.

I know about the clutch delay valve, I have not yet deleted (planning to in the next couple of days) but this slippage occurs after being in gear for at least a second or two. Bite point is just after middle pedal range on the way up and there's a good amount of travel until it hits the stops.

Should I just wait until the full 500 mile run in period or should I be checking something else (master or slave cylinder ?)
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was your flywheel like? IMO the bedding in as such will depend if there's any unevenness on the fly with high spots that the disc will wear into.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Annoyingly, I would suspect flywheel too, unless there is something up with your clutch hydraulics as a whole!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the input chaps, it was fitted with a new lightened RPC flywheel so hopefully they know how to make it the right thickness

I think I'll take the slave apart for a clean and a delay valve delete in the first instance, it's playing on my mind now and I'd prefer not to have to pay for another clutch job having burned this one out in a few hundred miles.

Does anyone know if a seal kit is available for both pistons/cylinders ?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 PM

OK to answer my own question...
46926-SF1-003 - M/C piston
46932-S2A-A01 - Slave piston
Old 08-05-2014, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a new flywheel and clutch cover I wouldn't be too worried about bedding it in for to many miles.

I too have a similar thing at the top end of my rev range and assumed it to be clutch slip, however I am supercharged. Took mine out to find a nearly new clutch in there.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 AM

There's always the possibility that I might not be interpreting the feeling correctly, but with the old clutch I could smell hot friction material after it did it, my new clutch I'm not getting that whiff when I park up.

Or maybe I have a S/C fitted that I haven't spotted in the engine bay and a bit of clutch slip is to be expected with all those torques
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 AM

Okay, I think I've been wrong all along and it's now more likely to be the MAP issue, hesitation as soon as I hit VTEC this morning rather than just at the very end of the rev range. I swear it feels like slippage and I did get a burning clutch smell with the old clutch but pleased it's now looking like it may not be a problem with the new clutch or its installation.

Going to do some logging runs with Torque ODBII to confirm readings at WOT

Where is the best place to source a new MAP from these days ?

Thanks for the advice and help on this !

/goes away to learn how to whack a MAP
Old 08-06-2014, 05:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If its the map sensor problem it'll feel like the power is surging in and out when you're in VTEC.

If its clutch slip the revs will rise but the road speed won't.

When i had the problem i disconnected the sensor, removed it, looked at it, put it back together and then tapped it with the handle of a screwdriver. Never had the problem again.

Same car also used to smell of clutch/hot rubber after a spirited run. Never had clutch problems with it and the clutch never slipped. The smell seems to be a bit of a characteristic of the S2000.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 AM

Yep, it's a "surging in and out" feel but very subtle - feel a bit stupid now but the lighter flywheel and lighter smoother clutch action kinda make up for it.

Quick Reply: How long for a clutch to bed in ?