California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Any interest in the Annual Treasure Island S2KI Meet?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonKiller99
SF S2000 Megameet can be held at lake Merced in San Francisco/Sunset blvd.I'm pretty sure it can hold 100+ cars...and someone might want rent out a Drone to flight out and record a short video clip...well that was an idea and alternative to TI in case a concert was going on, etc. Those were my thoughts for the past three years each time I organized the MegaMeets. Already read those permits etc...no way would I pay that when TI is an open public tourist attraction. Or should the private TI owner start charging everyone that comes drive onto the island? Anyhow, my first two years of organizing megameet was two weeks notice, then last one three weeks notice. It wasn't a problem since most SF S2k owners can pretty much attend anything on a Sunday afternoon. But a one month notice will be much nicer.
I have a quadcopter I can bring!!! I've been looking forward to this meet ever since I heard of it.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
I would assume (independent of T.I. rules/regulations) most cities probably have a permit process for events and gatherings of the anticipated turnout of a "mega-meet".

Does that ever stop any car club from organizing anything--rarely.

Do un-permitted events get shut down--when necessary.

Do permitted events get shut down--when necessary.

I'm usually not one to trumpet Truth, Justice, and The American Way (c), but it's a question of whether we do this above board or not. Getting permits and/or finding a place where we can legally congregate ourselves and our cars is what separates an S2ki meetup from say, sideshows or gonzo pRon.

The fact is, yes, most places have a process for a lot of people (and cars) to get together. But with that, I'm sure there's a city, town, or private lot willing to host us, if we can assure that at least _____ (50? 100? 300?) S2000s show up - that's a lot of foot traffic.

Permits or otherwise, yes, we'll have to pay. One of my perennial gripes about (some? many?) S2000 owners is that they're f@#king cheap, but still demand a high quality experience. Yes, I get it, the S2000 is performance bargain (was at release, still is now), but like the S itself, you have to pay a little to get a little back. We can have somebody try and sponsor the event, but then said event is not really ours - the event is then at the terms of the sponsor(s).

As this would be an event in the Bay Area, we would (generally) be considered the event's hosts. Do we want to be hosts to an event that is an open invitation to be shut down, where we're on Ranger Rick Watch the entire time, or do we want to do the right thing, so we can be gracious and reasonable hosts?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1999
pt Richmond end of 580 great or an event
I went to a concert at Craneway last year. Great venue. I know there have been car shows there as well. I have no concept of cost.

THAT SAID,
There's space in Alameda Point, Point Richmond, and elsewhere; it's just a matter of asking, I should think.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by TougeHorseman' timestamp='1406610654' post='23263587
I would assume (independent of T.I. rules/regulations) most cities probably have a permit process for events and gatherings of the anticipated turnout of a "mega-meet".

Does that ever stop any car club from organizing anything--rarely.

Do un-permitted events get shut down--when necessary.

Do permitted events get shut down--when necessary.

I'm usually not one to trumpet Truth, Justice, and The American Way (c), but it's a question of whether we do this above board or not. Getting permits and/or finding a place where we can legally congregate ourselves and our cars is what separates an S2ki meetup from say, sideshows or gonzo pRon.

The fact is, yes, most places have a process for a lot of people (and cars) to get together. But with that, I'm sure there's a city, town, or private lot willing to host us, if we can assure that at least _____ (50? 100? 300?) S2000s show up - that's a lot of foot traffic.

Permits or otherwise, yes, we'll have to pay. One of my perennial gripes about (some? many?) S2000 owners is that they're f@#king cheap, but still demand a high quality experience. Yes, I get it, the S2000 is performance bargain (was at release, still is now), but like the S itself, you have to pay a little to get a little back. We can have somebody try and sponsor the event, but then said event is not really ours - the event is then at the terms of the sponsor(s).

As this would be an event in the Bay Area, we would (generally) be considered the event's hosts. Do we want to be hosts to an event that is an open invitation to be shut down, where we're on Ranger Rick Watch the entire time, or do we want to do the right thing, so we can be gracious and reasonable hosts?

well said
Old 07-29-2014, 12:15 PM

How about Bayland Park in Sunnyvale where we had last years BBQ. Plenty of parking. Entrance was $5 per car and I think it is off season so it might be free. There are no permits required unless you are thinking of getting vendors involved.
https://www.s2ki.com/...rea-bbqpotluck/
Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey Hanzel,

I was thinking about that. It might be a really good alternative, as that BBQ turned out great!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 PM

I'm pretty sure that was the site I was suggesting in my earlier post. I had taken my little AR Drone 2.0 quad copter out to get some aerial shots albeit cheesy ones. I think we had around 40 S2k's, some of us came down from Sac. I don't know if that lot was big enough for 100+ cars but we only took up 2.5 rows, there was still a lot of vacant spaces.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Baylands Park parking lot that we utilized last time has ~160 parking spaces near the area we held the BBQ
Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 PM

There is also another parking spot just across the way where we parked last time and its also the same size. Keep in mind the benches/bbq pit are first come first serve.

Originally Posted by MiCRon 08
I'm pretty sure that was the site I was suggesting in my earlier post. I had taken my little AR Drone 2.0 quad copter out to get some aerial shots albeit cheesy ones. I think we had around 40 S2k's, some of us came down from Sac. I don't know if that lot was big enough for 100+ cars but we only took up 2.5 rows, there was still a lot of vacant spaces.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM

So, I just pinged back one of my co-workers who reserved a BBQ area for an event we had at work last week.
The smaller BBQ areas (lower right in the photo) were $85 for the BBQ grill and use of some tables.

At $6 entry fee, and ~$3 to cover + however we want to cover food seems completely reasonable.

Quick Reply: Any interest in the Annual Treasure Island S2KI Meet?