S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch throwout bearings

Old 06-29-2014, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch throwout bearings

I'm sure this has been discussed many times already, I'm just sharing some things from my researching and trial and error.

So here's the story, I have an 02 with a clutch that I used down to the metal, had it changed at 65k, I'm assuming it was the original in there. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the kits, I opted for an Exedy set, it is basically an OEM Honda kit for much cheaper. My mechanic Sam had installed it and when he'd pulled it out, I opted to use the supplied throw out bearing from Exedy, BRG0105 instead of my old one, marked Nachi, that came out of my fcc clutch disc and Honda pressure plate that was probably in there from day 1.

My first instinct was to use the original throw out over the Exedy, I believe I wouldn't be stuck in this situation now if I had reused my old one. I have put 10,000 on the car with proper break in time,!and used Amsoil from my local supplier Robert at Gearheadz int, fluids and the clutch I suppose are irrelevant towards this topic for the fluids don't make contact with the clutch as far as I know. In all my cars I've always used OEM Toyota bearings, so I decided to just try Exedy's on my Honda.

My throw out bearing is making noises at 10,000 miles, the same as when my act went out on my Mr2.
My advice is go with the OEM Honda throw out bearing, no exceptions. I'm debating on a Nachi in mine, whom I believe may manufacture them for our car, I've noticed a price jump from gripforce clutches, around 50 bucks or so, just trying to gather Info, reason for that being, for their marketing of Exedy kit the supplied China throwout bearings are used, that extra money will buy you the same kit, with a Nachi throw out bearing.

New OEM > used OEM > Exedy, bottom line, never use supplied throw out bearings unless they are from Japan, unless you are deliberately trying to double kill yourself, or if you are happy with the cars generous power band, at your self regulated foot redline of 3k never use these.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:38 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by kojiap1
I opted for an Exedy set, it is basically an OEM Honda kit for much cheaper
Exedy kit is nothing at all like the Honda parts.

Those kits are garbage, the decal buzz is horrible, and I've been seeing the TO bearing fall apart in under 20k miles. AND, the pilot bearing is also junk. I have seen them lock up in under 20k.

Do not ever buy an exedy clutch!