S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car vibrating like crazy

Old 05-27-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car vibrating like crazy

I have absolutely no idea what's happening to my car, but it's freaking me out. My car vibrates like crazy at all times that it's on. At idle is when it's the worst, and the vibrations change as the rpm changes. If I'm moving along at 50 and press the clutch in, the car rolls as it should, but the vibrations from the motor are still there. I also suffered poor gas mileage from this issue. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

does the engine sound like its firing on less than 4 cylinders? I can recall pulling a plug wire on my civic and because of the inherent inbalance it shook…no REALLY shook.
Because of resonant frequency, the shake will likely change based on RPM.

when the car is rolling and shake could be an out of balance wheel…but that's an obvious one.

good luck there.

darcy
Old 05-27-2014, 07:33 PM

I forgot to mention that there is no check engine lights, and the car has the full amount of power and torque that it usually does.

I've narrowed it down to either being a motor mount or an unbalanced flywheel/clutch assembly. The motor mounts seem fine, I dont know how to test for the flywheel...
Old 05-28-2014, 03:43 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Motor mounts
Is the car stumbling or anything? Pop the hood and watch the motor while you start it up and rev it and see if there is excessive movement
Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

check your motor mounts and trans mount as well.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spark issues can cause engine shake as you described.

Swap out a coil-pack, apparently they can go without a CEL.

But even before that, you can test which cylinder might be the culprit by unplugging injectors one at a time (don't do this for very long). When you pull the plug, it should get worse, if not then that's probably the cylinder with the issue.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

When my passenger engine mount was broken I didn't notice any vibration. I'm sure my mount was broken for years. Accelerating off of a light would chatter my new clutch and that's when I found the engine mount was toast. The fact that the engine vibrates at all rpm and has normal power makes me think it's something out of balance.

Obviously the mounts are the easiest to check so start with that.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/803...r-motor-mount/

Look at the first pic in that thread. This is where my mount also broke. Just looking under the car won't help. Visually from the bottom of the car my mount looked fine.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dead cylinder (total misfire) will cause violent vibrations, but also a noticeable drop in power since one cylinder isn't firing, and it should trigger a CEL. I'd pull codes to see if there are any pending.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9
Dead cylinder (total misfire) will cause violent vibrations, but also a noticeable drop in power since one cylinder isn't firing, and it should trigger a CEL. I'd pull codes to see if there are any pending.
There are no codes to pull, and the power is all there. Did you read my posts?
Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My post was to say; doesn't seem like misfiring since you don't meet the symptoms, but pending codes don't trigger a CEL until they move past the 'pending' state, so it may be worthwhile to see if anything is pending. yea..

Quick Reply: Car vibrating like crazy