S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What glue for soft top patch?

Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used E6000 a couple of months ago, but it's coming apart, which might be caused by sitting in the sun while the temperature is 100 degrees in the shade.

Question for Cosmomiller about your endorsement of Stabond: do you think it necessary to clean the vinyl with MEK before applying? I picked up a container of Stabond and the salesman at the raft shop suggested applying MEK first.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by waino
I used E6000 a couple of months ago, but it's coming apart, which might be caused by sitting in the sun while the temperature is 100 degrees in the shade.

Question for Cosmomiller about your endorsement of Stabond: do you think it necessary to clean the vinyl with MEK before applying? I picked up a container of Stabond and the salesman at the raft shop suggested applying MEK first.
Yes. However, don't go bananas. If you are liberal in the application, you may experience the material softening a bit and you may panic. If that happens, don't worry, go to bed and it will be fine in the morning. If possible, put a quick wipe on (let it dry-it will quickly) and apply the adhesive. I used a section of a micro fiber towel. Don't go overboard with the Stabond; you don't want a big bunch coming out from the patch to clean up. Be aware of ventilation. Be advised MEK will dissolve Nitril gloves if you use them. Flammable. Big time. Don't smoke. Kids will be born with flippers. (Just kidding) Just follow the directions, you will be fine.

As a backup you can use the "Red Hot"/Blue Hot" PVC primers and glue you find at Lowes and Home Depot. I did not mention it before because some of it is colored. I believe they have clear now. I am not sure how flexible they are though.

I used MEK on one of the air bag warning decals to remove it. It worked but it made the vinyl like wet tissue. The black fuzz was coming off. I carefully put all the fuzz back in place and slept on it. It was perfect in the morning. However, I went ahead and got the aluminum S2000 plates to affix instead.

http://downriverequip.com/media/PVC_...structions.pdf

Here is a little blurb on MEK. Its tough to find now in California but I bought a gallon before OSH stopped carrying it. I use it all the time for all kinds of stuff. Great stuff. Little goes a long way. I do store it outside the house in a shed. No worries.
Just an additional note, I purchased a 3M organic vapor mask as I have used muriatic acid to wash my drained pool twice over the years. When I was immersed in my Zodiac project, I used it again because I was using so much MEK. I think the amount you are going to use is no problem.

MEK: A Useful but Dangerous Chemical
MEK, is one of the most common shorthand forms for the chemical compound methyl ethyl ketone. This chemical is also known as 2-Butanone. MEK has a variety of different industrial applications when properly incorporated as an organic solvent. However, it is considerably dangerous to handle without proper precautions. This article will explore the properties of this chemical as well as the necessary precautions that need to be taken when handling it.
What is MEK?

Methyl ethyl ketone is an artificially synthesized organic compound that does not normally occur in nature (with the exception of its biosynthesis in a handful of plants). The substance may be unintentionally produced in air through the photo oxidation of several kinds of organic propellants and air pollutants such as butane. This comes as no surprise, as MEK is actually an isomeric form of the butane derivative, butanone. The substance is usually industrially produced by the dehydrogenation of 2-butanol, usually in the presence of a catalyst.
What is MEK Used for?

MEK is commonly employed as an organic solvent. It is used when processing resins, guns, nitrocellulose, and cellulose acetate. Usually, this substance is found in films and coatings. Common industries that employ this substance, include the textile industry and the plastic industry. This substance is also found in household products such as paint remover, varnish, lacquer, and is often used to denature alcohol. This substance is also used in whiteboard markers as the solvent for the dye.

Are there Safety Hazards Associated with this Substance?

Although the substance is relatively harmless in small amounts, there are several safety hazards that are associated with MEK. Firstly, it is extremely flammable and may even be prone to explosion given the right conditions. Second, concentrations in the air that are sufficient for flammability, also usually mean that they are capable of irritating the lungs of would-be inhalers of the compound. MEK is actually quite pleasant smelling in small amounts, it has a smell reminiscent of butterscotch or acetone.
Are there Health Hazards Associated with this Substance?

Besides the short-term irritation caused by inhaling large amounts of this substance, serious health effects have been hinted at from the prolonged exposure of human beings to this substance. There are some indications that the substance is somewhat carcinogenic and may result in birth defects following its prolonged inhalation. Nevertheless, the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency no longer considers MEK to be a hazardous air pollutant, as the quantities of this organic compound that are produced annually and released into the atmosphere are not reasonably high enough to cause anticipated environmental or health complications.
MEK is an chemical substance with a variety of different applications. Foremost among these applications is its usage as a solvent. This solvent can be used in everything from lacquers, to paints, to glues. In particular, the textile and plastic industries employ this substance extensively. It is irritable to the human respiratory system in large amounts, and may have a hand in health complications if inhaled for prolonged durations of time.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice and the link. Good stuff.

The toughest part will be mixing 12 parts catalyst with 100 parts resin as the Stabond package says to do. I'll borrow a very sensitive scale to mix the small amount needed.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine came off as well. I suspect I used too much E6000. However it was very humid when it started to peel off.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

103 degree here in Central Texas yesterday and my patch still held up good after 6 months.

I get a small piece of old top that I bought on line, glue it to the inside of top with Loctite Vinyl Fabric first and then sew it, after that I put some of that Loctite glue to the top, wait about 1 hr. then spray paint with the Vinyl Fabric spray paint that I bought from Autozone.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Picture of patch on the underside?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Themikewoo
Picture of patch on the underside?
Pic is on the topside.. The rip is about 2-3 inch long..
Old 08-08-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by dakao
103 degree here in Central Texas yesterday and my patch still held up good after 6 months.

I get a small piece of old top that I bought on line, glue it to the inside of top with Loctite Vinyl Fabric first and then sew it, after that I put some of that Loctite glue to the top, wait about 1 hr. then spray paint with the Vinyl Fabric spray paint that I bought from Autozone.
If you have an extra piece of material, you can "imprint" the fabric design on the tacky glue so it blends in with the background. Several techniques for doing that. Just an FYI.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by dakao' timestamp='1407508689' post='23278412

If you have an extra piece of material, you can "imprint" the fabric design on the tacky glue so it blends in with the background. Several techniques for doing that. Just an FYI.
Good idea
Old 04-02-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to develop those spots above the shoulder area and light started seeping through on the passenger side so did a lot of research and tested a ton of different glues.
I bought some 1680D fabric and cut out test patches to glue together using various glues. I let them all dry overnight before attempting to pull them apart. All of them I was able to pull apart except for one.

The fabric has pretty much bonded together and I was unable to separate the two pieces I glued. Make sure you glue the glossy coated side facing the roof.

I finally did the fix to the top and extended the patched past the bar so any edges wont catch.
They are very hard to spot and blend in very well with the top. They also feel and look very durable. Time will tell.

This is what mine came out like.

Name:  703114A4-1B18-4CC9-8C93-B05E0A85611B.jpg
Views: 4081
Size:  339.0 KB

You can use a shoe lace to hold the bar back while you glue them in place like so...

Name:  CB7778FF-2227-46FD-B1F3-1F76D058087B.jpg
Views: 3707
Size:  303.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
Alloyicon19 (08-18-2022)