New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

TUDOR Watkins Glen 2014 Camping

Old 02-16-2014, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TUDOR Watkins Glen 2014 Camping

Hello upstate NY. My wife and I are planning a road trip to the Tudor/Rolex race in June this year. We typically camp when the venue allows and looks like it is nice - like VIR.

Can anyone offer advise on this track from a camping and viewing the race perspective? We will be tent/car camping
We like to be "relatively" close to the pits/garages so we can enjoy that part of the experience also.
Also, are there hot showers there?

When I look at WG website there are camping areas A-G and then "unreserved Gate 7" camping, which I would interpret to be the wild crowd. We don't mind partying, but don't really want to be beside people burning couches at 3 am.

We have also heard that the area in general is scenic and nice - kind of small town feel. We will probably spend a day or two additional in the area for some hiking and good food/beer.

Any feedback and advice is appreciated.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I haven't camped at the track in a long time. I think they have newer bathroom facilities with hot showers. I would suggest staying at the Watkins Glen State Park campground. The State Park is only a 10 minute drive to the track. It will probably be quieter, and much better than pitching a tent in an open field at the track. Plus you won't have to pack up and move after the race. The gorge at the state park offers some nice hiking trails. There are a couple of decent restaurants in town. The area is well known for it's wineries, (and more recently, breweries), several of which have dining available.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:51 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Haven't camped at the track, but have visited there to view the races during vintage weekend. At that time we viewed the races from the Infield area. We got to see cars come down Turn 5 into 6 and then moved over to see them take Turn 7. Then we walked back to the bus stop area to see cars come up the hill and go through the bus stop into turn 5.

Perhaps you can call the track office to see what would be the best location for you to camp or do as Conedodger says.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I didn't think they allowed tent camping?

I used to go to the glen, but It was about 10 years ago last time I was there
Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 AM

There are many good places to camp at The Glen, it all depends on what one considers to be the "best" location. Personally, for viewing I like the camping area along the far side of the "inner loop" (aka "Bus Stop," "Chicane"...) or the outside of Turn 2, but there are no showers near those locations and the outside of Turn 2 doesn't have campsites. Also, either area would require a lot of walking to get to the pits & garages. My advice, camp in one location, preferably near a shower and walk and drive around to the other locations during the race.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:06 AM

Thanks for the quick and informative responses.

We are looking at the State Park Campground, but was curious about the track also.

Hope to see y'all there!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We normally pitch tents in the G Area. Bring your own wood for campfire as pickings are slim. Yes, there are bathroom/shower stalls. As Testut says, pick a spot then walk/drive to where you want to go. Nice thing about the Rolex series is you pretty much have free rein anywhere on the track (as opposed to nascar and other "popular" events where you have to stick to your assigned seats!)
I missed this race the last couple of years, and asked my buddy if he's going this year. So far, it's affirmative. Hopefully it'll be a dry weekend so I can pack up the S!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All sorts of camping is allowed at the track as long as you pay for it and get your pass
A typical "tent" camping is almost anything other than a motor home or a huge pull-behind trailer
That's to say, tent camping does not have to exclusively include or involve a tent, as I don't do tents but I do drive a pickup and take a 10x10 canopy
I have camped at WGI for decades, and not just one race event per season, so I guess I have some experience......
The best thing to start the process is to go to www.theglen.com and pull up the camping map, the one that shows the Section Letters and the layout of the track combined
For myself I like the area on the outside of track that's in sort of a bay formed by the track from Turn 8, through 9, 10, and part way up to 11
From this vantage point you have easy access to the infield through a tunnel, an easy drive/walk to one of the best outside viewing areas at Turn 1 in the stadiums
In addition there are two underpasses for foot traffic that take you to the garages, and over to Turn 6 which is an awesome view point that's a PITA to get to
If you are young and loud and stay up late and do a lot of yelling and screaming I ask you don't camp in family camping
If you are coming up to The Glen to enjoy the race event, you should not camp at the State Park or the KOA regardless of the savings
If you are coming up to The Glen to enjoy some camping and take in a bit of racing and discover some of the the most beautiful parts of this country then camping away from the track might be a good option
If you camp at the track you will be locked in, or worse out, at about 11:00, the gates will close. Period.
For me, camping at a race event is the number one way to experience the actual event, and the Six Hours is an event!!!
And now with it being TUDOR, and more of a real international event, I suspect there will be even more to take in
Any other questions?
The whole village atmosphere, wine tours, lake viewing, fun roads... kinds of stuff are all huge subjects unto themselves
You are about to come visit an area that is extremely special and offers up a huge variety to tourism
Old 02-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Here is my setup back in about 2006
I'm in the same spot, the truck is smaller and the canopy is larger, colors remain the same

Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 PM

A few years ago...

A perfect view a few steps away from camp to some of you...

That's the stadium outside of Turn 10, typically it has a jumbotron in front of it

Quick Reply: TUDOR Watkins Glen 2014 Camping