UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake & Exhaust Upgrade

Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake & Exhaust Upgrade

Hi All,

Normally i'd post in the main specific thread sections but i'm after a UK perspective due to sourcing and shipping etc.

I have an AP1 S2K which went in for a service at Hendy Honda this weekend, anticipated new pads as performance had deteriorated and I also asked to investigate the heatshield rattle.

After the main service new discs and pads were required & fitted, for speed and availability I gave the go ahead for OEM, which after the install came to light that the callipers had seized up an locked on to both front brakes. After being told they need replacing, the price for OEM callipers on my model is coming in at £1158 fitted, which begging the question, do I go ahead with OEM or do I go aftermarket at similar price range? I've briefly looked in to Spoon and Brembo, but would welcome advice and feedback?

The assumed heatshield rattle turns out to be my CAT, which again the OEM part is £1000, so naturally looked at alternatives. Initially straight through sprung to mind but I've found full CAT exhausts systems for less than the single OEM part. In particular the Invidia N1 system seems favourable, especially here. Has anyone had any parts ordered from the states and can advise on shipping and import fees on such an item? Or suggestions of alternative exhaust systems are welcome?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With regards to the cat. You don't have to buy brand new, you could get a low miles 2nd hand cat for a lot less than a brand new one. Or you could get a 'Berk high flow cat' S2K Tuning on here sells them. I know someone who had one fitted and they are happy with the results.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:48 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Lots of places sell reconditioned callipers.

For example: £95 each http://brakeparts.co.uk/#page=parts&...+DOHC+ROADSTER instead of the £350 or so Honda want.

Or just £60 each here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Righ...item4ac58a56f3 and here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Left...item4acb9f6e9f

Spoon and Brembo systems won't fit under OEM wheels.

Alex's advice above relating to the Cat is good.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I'll have a look into s2K Tuning CAT and the reconditioned brakes as that will save a lot of money, which im all the more for

I'll post back how I get on, I'd love a set of big breaks but missed the notion of needing after marketing alloys which is another expense I could do without!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use dealers with caution - their sole purpose is to generate cash. I would take the car back and get an independent to sort if you cannot DIY.

The rattle will likely be the heat shield - easily sorted. If it is the cat internals, second hand ones can be had for less than £100.

The calipers may not be seized, as per my first comment. LG's suggestion about refurbished ones is good - buying new is ludicrous.

Where are you in the country? We may be able to recommend an independent.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks Loftus, Im based down in Southampton but any in the Hampshire area is good for me!

The calipers were worked free and regreased etc where needed but after a quick test drive they locked in again so salvage didn't seem viable but I am looking into a couple of options following the advice. Certainly leaving the CAT for a while, at least until the MOT
Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfrax666
Thanks Loftus, Im based down in Southampton but any in the Hampshire area is good for me! The calipers were worked free and regreased etc where needed but after a quick test drive they locked in again so salvage didn't seem viable but I am looking into a couple of options following the advice. Certainly leaving the CAT for a while, at least until the MOT
Hello , I to am based in Southampton and I highly recommend taking your car to TGM in fleet. They are very knowledgable on Hondas, work on s2k's all the time and are pretty local to us.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM

TGM In fleet gets the thumbs up from me.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:41 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Andy at Veysport (Hants / Dorset border) is excellent.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Perhaps consider sending the calipers to biggred.co.uk if they need a refurb; but I'd definately take the sliders out, check the slider boots for holes, polish the pins and get a bottle brush in the pin locating holes before regreasing and reassembling.

Quick Reply: Brake & Exhaust Upgrade