Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next time, Tire Rack directly.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next time, Tire Rack directly.

Wednesday I'm on my way home and find the S2000 is reacting to rear wheel torque steer on accel and decell. Sure enough I had a very low left rear. I topped it off with air and headed for the nearest dealer who handles Bridgestone. They find a damaged sidewall and a puncture. Sidewall could have occurred in my last drive as even though the rim was not on the ground, there was 0 psi indicated. They advised me to order from Tire Rack and they would install. Instead I called my Honda dealer where I purchased my last set of S-02's. I told service of my problem and told me they would have my tire today. And the price was only $145 plus installation. So today after mounting, I still notice mild torque steer, but reversed. I insure both rears had identical inflation and test drove. Torque steer still present. I measure tire heights and they are 2/10's different. In thought I walk down to get our mail and walking back I first notice the tread patterns. Different. My Honda dealer installed an RE760 instead of the S-02. They will fix it Wednesday......and they told me how they appreciate good feedback on the Honda survey they will be sending me. No car wash either......Next tires I will order direct as I once did when I was autocrossing.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

stealership ftl
Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Tirerack really makes it hard to do business locally because they are so damn good.

I'm lucky enough to work a mile from their CT warehouse, but even for suspension parts from Delaware, I get them the next day.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:05 PM

I have been buying directly from Tire Rack for 6 years with no problems, tires always delivered on promised date with no screw ups. I live in South Carolina and TR now has a distribution center in Georgia. Wednesday of this week I ordered two Dunlop Durizza fronts online at about 2:30P and they arrived at my Honda dealer 10:30 the next morning. They called and the tires were on my car by 5PM that afternoon.
Jim at TR is very knowledgeable and helpful he answered a couple question prior to my order. Put his name on your order (last order screen) and he will expedite handling.

I have been very satisfied with my Honda dealer. Maybe it's because my service adviser also owns an S2000.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Suzukaboy
I have been buying directly from Tire Rack for 6 years with no problems, tires always delivered on promised date with no screw ups. I live in South Carolina and TR now has a distribution center in Georgia. Wednesday of this week I ordered two Dunlop Durizza fronts online at about 2:30P and they arrived at my Honda dealer 10:30 the next morning. They called and the tires were on my car by 5PM that afternoon.
Jim at TR is very knowledgeable and helpful he answered a couple question prior to my order. Put his name on your order (last order screen) and he will expedite handling.

I have been very satisfied with my Honda dealer. Maybe it's because my service adviser also owns an S2000.
I dealt with TR regularly up to about 10 years ago when my annual driving dropped off dramatically (My'03 S2000 still has under 40K). My dealer is ordering from TR out of Ga.
When I talked to the adviser I told her I would only be driving to and from the dealership. She said "it's our mistake, don't worry about the tire". I replied I was worried about the differential, not their tire.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I always order my tires from discount tire direct. They are always cheper then tire rack after you add the shipping that tire rack charges
Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They are not always cheaper. Nor are they as quick turnaround. They also do not put money back into the community like this forum and SCCA racing. I also do not see them actually going out and testing tires so they can give any kink of real world feedback.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by riceball777
I always order my tires from discount tire direct. They are always cheper then tire rack after you add the shipping that tire rack charges
And they will charge state tax if they're in the same state as you. Which I'm sure tire rack would do also, but they're not in the same state as me, so they're not "Always cheaper", as you put it.