Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my stock ap2 v1 widen to 17x10.5 with 275/40/17 nt05

Old 10-02-2013, 12:34 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Got my stock ap2 v1 widen to 17x10.5 with 275/40/17 nt05

All work was done at http://www.ericvaughnmachine.com/
I had the rear wheels bored out so they fit on the front with 255/40/17. It cost me $30 per wheel to bore them out.

I had the front 17x7 widen to 17x10.5. This cost me $250 per wheel. This makes the offset +99.45. I'm using 32mm spacers in the rear making the wheel setup 17x10.5 +67.45 off set. The 17x10.5 now weighs 22.5 pounds each. I'm running nt05 in 275/40/17. As you can see there is quite a stretch on the tire when mounted on the rim. I'm going to get an alinment tomorrow. So far these do not rub on my stock non rolled fenders. The clearence on the inside is pretty close. I'm at 442whp and with the stock rims with 255/40/17 i had traction problems in 1st gear. This should help fix that. I am also on stock shocks and springs. When these tires die i hope to try the kuhmo xs in 295/35/17.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Cool fun to see someone other then myself implement a creative solution to a problem. I'm not sure if I would have executed it in the exact fashion with stock wheels, but looks like you achieved what you wanted with a good centered fitment for the tire of choice

As someone who runs the discontinued 295/35/17 XS, when/if they start producing that size again in the next XS gen/replacement in 2014, you may find fitting it on that narrow of a rim with your current offset an issue. Its a wide 12" tire and will be slightly pinched on that rim, so inner and outer clearance is going to be something you will have to look at closely as your wheel travels through its suspension travel. A wider rim actually helps with spreading the sidewall out to help fitment as the wheel cambers in on upstroke. With some added fender work and playing with different spacers, you might be able to make it happen.

*** Also the large factory shocks are going to limit the wheel spacing you can run as well depending on your ride height. Lowering would actually help in that regard. Or better yet get some aftermarket coilovers.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Cool fun to see someone other then myself implement a creative solution to a problem. I'm not sure if I would have executed it in the exact fashion with stock wheels, but looks like you achieved what you wanted with a good centered fitment for the tire of choice

As someone who runs the discontinued 295/35/17 XS, when/if they start producing that size again in the next XS gen/replacement in 2014, you may find fitting it on that narrow of a rim with your current offset an issue. Its a wide 12" tire and will be slightly pinched on that rim, so inner and outer clearance is going to be something you will have to look at closely as your wheel travels through its suspension travel. A wider rim actually helps with spreading the sidewall out to help fitment as the wheel cambers in on upstroke. With some added fender work and playing with different spacers, you might be able to make it happen.

*** Also the large factory shocks are going to limit the wheel spacing you can run as well depending on your ride height. Lowering would actually help in that regard. Or better yet get some aftermarket coilovers.
I just to have tein flex but I got tired of having a lower car. I drive the car every day 100+ miles a day so it need to go up steep driveways and needs to be as confertable as possible.
Summit racing shows as havering the kumho 295-35-17 in stock. I hope more people will come out with street tires in that size.
Can you post some good pics of your car with the 295-35-17. What kind of work did you have to do to make them fit? I feel if I roll my fenders I should be able to fit them. Do you think my rims are wide enough to run the 295-35-17? My 275/40/17 most definitely are stretched on my 10.5 rim.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by riceball777
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1380735399' post='22807414

Summit racing shows as havering the kumho 295-35-17 in stock. I hope more people will come out with street tires in that size.
Can you post some good pics of your car with the 295-35-17. What kind of work did you have to do to make them fit? I feel if I roll my fenders I should be able to fit them. Do you think my rims are wide enough to run the 295-35-17? My 275/40/17 most definitely are stretched on my 10.5 rim.
I would be surprised if Summit had them, they likely haven’t got around to updated the webpage. But who knows, maybe they have a set that’s been in the back collecting dust. Tire rack doesn’t even have them listed as a optional size to order anymore. Kuhmo's last production run for that size tire was in 08 so anything in the market was from that one production period. I am hoping with the XS revision next year that it will be available again.

But as far as fitment, I think rubbing the inside fender well is going to be you current biggest issue as the suspension moves, s naturally you will want to add more spacing, but then you risk rubbing the outside. One thing that’s in your benefit is that your running stock ride height, this give you some added suspension movement before you run into any issue. 'm lowered 2" and graze the outside and inside initially, so I had to run enough camber 2.6 to -3 and hammer in the inside fender well a few mm so the tire wouldn’t make contact at full compression. don’t have any issues now, but it took some manipulating. he entire fender well from a rolled fender to the inside is only 12.5" and the tire is 12". Couple that with camber an suspension stroke and your playing a very finite game. To my knowledge am the only guy running this tire on a stock/modded fender. "No pull"

As far as pics there is a few floating around, but I dont have any off hand I can post. Someone said ifyou google "s2000 295/35/17" my spa appears near at the top of the page. One other guy ran these on his turbo car but used over fenders to make fit.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. So, I assume 315/35/17 which is the next size up would be near impossible to fit on this car?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by riceball777
Thanks for all the feedback. So, I assume 315/35/17 which is the next size up would be near impossible to fit on this car?
On a stock body yes. If you had some functional over fenders you could do it. If the 295/35/17 gets discontinued for good, then that is the direction I will likely be going. I really don't like the added sidewall height of a 315/35 however so it is a bit of a compromise. It is the same as a 275/40. Too much weight and sidewall deflection for my liking. Would likely be even worse on a 315, not just the weight but because the grip levels are increased and will put more load on the sidewall before the tire lets go. I'm a handling snob, I like a tight, precise S2000 as it is so good at being. Strait line traction wasn't my primary reason for going with a 295, although it helps.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure if AP2V1s are like this but my front AP2V2 wheel was less concave then the rear. So right now is it safe to say your front wheel face is more concave then the rear wheel face?

Cool idea though!!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

i love your idea. i was going to do that with my srt-4 because 6 inch wide wheel on a turbo car is bad let alone more hp is added.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by El S2000
I'm not sure if AP2V1s are like this but my front AP2V2 wheel was less concave then the rear. So right now is it safe to say your front wheel face is more concave then the rear wheel face?

Cool idea though!!
V1 are the same face front and rear from what Ive seen.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by El S2000

Cool idea though!!
There is no difference between the face of the wheel for bothe the front or the back of the ap2v1 wheels.

Quick Reply: Got my stock ap2 v1 widen to 17x10.5 with 275/40/17 nt05