UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

It wasn't just CAT, engine has gone bang!

Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It wasn't just CAT, engine has gone bang!

I'm hoping you are all going to reassure me everything is ok but I have a bad feeling that's not going to happen.....

Whilst driving back from the F1 in Germany 2 weeks ago I was overtaking a van on the M6 and suddenly lost all power, sparks coming from rear of the car (it was midnight so looked pretty impressive) cruised into the hard shoulder and had a look under the car. The Catalytic Converter was glowing red hot. I had the car recovered to my house and since receiving a new Berk High Flow CAT and a Mugen Manifold managed to get the old bits off and the new bits fitted yesterday.

As expected the old CAT was ruined, all the honeycomb stuff was rattling around inside and completely broken up.

Now since I broke down I have not started the car once and it has been sat on my drive waiting for the new bits to go on. I tried starting it for the first time last night, lights on dash come on, press button, click click click, Nothing..............

I'm hoping it's just a flat battery since it has been sat for a while, but reading through other peoples CAT woes I'm yet to find anyone else to have had such a dramatic failure! At the time I put it down to 1000 miles in some pretty consistant heat but is it possible it has caused more damage??

Look forward to your opinions/advice guys....... kind of.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:16 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd say its coincidence and you need a new battery.

If the engine was seized it would have done it before you got home. Unless something has unevenly contracted!

If it got to the point you lost all power the engine would have been pretty hot though!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Might not need a new battery, could be the starter motor was on its way out and when you took it on track then all the vibration and heat on track has killed it. It could also be stuck and needs you to rock the car in gear back and forward to free it up.

Joeh
Old 07-27-2013, 01:08 AM

Well RAC came and confirmed my fears..... Not battery

He tried to crank the engine and it was locking up. Getting it recovered to a garage on Monday but I'm assuming dropped valve or something??

I know very little when it comes to engines so what do you guys think.....

Could it be terminal?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-27-2013, 01:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch, Where are you based?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Joeh
Ouch, Where are you based?

Thanks
Wrexham, North Wales mate.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I could be wrong but the cat sounds like it had a good soak in un-burnt fuel and flame on? I will be interested to hear what the garage says tho.....hopefully it won't be to expensive.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if its a dropped valve or seized engine your probably looking at the cost of getting a new / 2nd hand engine
Old 07-27-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 640 Likes on 557 Posts

If it wont crank its fair to say its fooked. I assume the rac dude tried a hand crank?

You may as well get a used engine and fit that, had you kept an eye on the oil over the long trip?

Gutted for you fella
Old 07-27-2013, 01:25 PM

Yeah checked oil throughout trip, was completely fine. Is still on 3/4 now!

Hoping its not a new engine job but I'm expecting that could be possible.

No chance of repair if its dropped a valve?

Quick Reply: It wasn't just CAT, engine has gone bang!