UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Bonnet damaged during service!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonnet damaged during service!

Hi all,

My was in for service at Chiswick Honda which wasn't a particularly great customer service experience. However the biggest disappointment, was what I found on the bonnet when I parked the car up:

Bonnet damaged during service!-16appm4.jpg

Bonnet damaged during service!-cju5jtr.jpg

It actually looks like some sort of animal has managed to sit on the bonnet and used it's claws to move off quickly causing the damage . I can only think it could've been an angry cat or a big bird .... (neither of which are known to roam the streets of Chiswick) or someone has placed a heavy part on the bonnet without realising the damage it could cause. Given the customer service I experienced, I can't rule out the guys in the garage/workshop (being careful with my wording here!!) given the damage was not there when the car went in for service .

The scratches are quite deep too - very frustrating .
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gutted for you, are they going to do anything about it?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel for you. The marks look very deep. IMO, the dealer just thought that you don't know much about your car and tried to overcharge you.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by K3Nguru
I feel for you. The marks look very deep. IMO, the dealer just thought that you don't know much about your car and tried to overcharge you.
I think it was a combination of that and the dealers themselves not quite being clear in the own pricing structure maybe because it's recently changed [see HERE], and therefore didn't really communicate much confidence or clarity.

Originally Posted by razzele

Gutted for you, are they going to do anything about it?
I've not told them yet as I'm not yet but knowing main dealers I think I know what answer to expect....
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 AM

Shame about the bonnet Would you be able to touch it up and sand/polish it back?

Has the dealer looked at your brakes and done the fluid?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 AM

I'm not sure if it can be touched up, WinFreak, the aluminium beneath the paint is exposed . I have contacted the garage and spoke to their service manager, who incidentally, I've got on with quite well over the years. She has requested images so we'll see what they respond with.

They did look at the brakes, yes, I've put some comments in the Dealer Satisfaction Survey thread - you'll probably be amused!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Well, as suspected, the dealership are shying away from ownership and responsibility ; this is from their service manager:

Bonnet damaged during service!-hb46yyk.png

Any suggestions as to what I can go back to them with?
I'm not sure how suggesting a polishing it out is valid, when the scratches have evidently gone through the paint .

I've also spoken to a bodyshop who I trust and friends have used over the years, who is familar with having to work with exotica paint such as that found on Ferraris and Lamborghinis - his advice was to try to live with it in the first instance as it's going to be an extremely difficult colour to match, so much so that many bodyshops would simply turn away the work to avoid the risk of failure. He would do it for me, however, and suggested that a full bonnet respray plus a blend into the front bumper and both wings would be the most sensible way to approach this case. That focusing on the bonnet alone will essentially make it stand out against the rest of the car. Not great news (and not cheap, either!). And I don't feel the damage is of a magnitude to warrant such a big respray job.

My car is on it's original paint and I want it to stay like that as long as possible! I've read and seen horror stories of paint matching failures and it's not something I want to entertain. It really doesn't seem worth the risk!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 AM

Sorry about the bonnet. Your car was mint when I first saw it. Are you giving up on the fight? Let them compensate you
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 AM

I wonder if that damage was caused by having the windscreen wipers lifted from the screen and then they lifted the bonnet?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 AM

Wouldn't think so that far down the bonnet, but they could well have lifted it underneath something and not realised how far up the bonnet goes on the S.

Quick Reply: Bonnet damaged during service!