S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anybody ever have a blocked catalytic converter?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody ever have a blocked catalytic converter?

Little backround, 02 80k miles, for the past week Ive had the p0411 code come on ( secondary air injection ) ran fine with it on as the s2k's usually do its only for emissions anyways. So Im pulling into my buds street for a visit and my car stalls/dies I look down and I have 1 bar of fuel on the meter. Now granted thats low but not empty by all means. I coast into his driveway and start trying to diagnose the situation, wound up getting 3.5 gallons of gas just to be sure I wasnt out. That didnt help as when I turn the car on I have to give it gas to keep it alive and can feel it misfiring while maintaining the revs at any rpm. If I let the car drop rpms slowly it will sit there and spit and carry on at 7-900rpms. Try and pull out and it misfires/bogs down. Now Ive recently purchased and 01 s2000 which runs and drives. So I get a ride to my shop where my truck is and ride up to my house where the 2nd s2k is. I pull EVERY sensor, coil packs, fuel rail and injectors to begin diagnosing ghe issue with the 02. Get back swap all that in 1 at a time no change at all. Few hours later I notice a vacuum line on the oem air box rubbed against the alternator pulley and ripped. Thought this was the issue for sure! However upon replacement the check engine light went out but the misfiring and bogging didnt stop. No further check engine lights were thrown as my friend had a obd reader on hand just incase. Anyways at this point Im pretty frustrated ots been hours after check all the fuses, relays, etc I decide I musta ran low on fuel and sucked up dirrt into ghe fuel pump sock or the cat is blocked somehow. I manage to move the car ound the parking area, and get back and its starts idling fine! WTF! But when pulling out or giving ghrottle it bogs down, if max throttle is given the car seems to break through the bogging but still misfires a bit vtec hits as well but still feels lacking. I got brave and took it on a cruise on backroads nearby for 6-7 miles.the longer I drove it the better it seemed to run and by then I figured its the cat , so I start throttling it more getting the engine and exhaust flowing well. Still no codes! By ghe time I got back it was running Id say at 90% of its potential. Not really misfiring under throttle now a little at low rpms but still feels.like its lacking power. Could this have been caused by the vacuum leak from the ripped injection hose?!? Or is the cat actually getting blocked up/ unblocking itself no? I can smell exhaust fumes heavier then usual it seems and Im on stock exhaust yet. Never have I had something like this happen before I amquite mechanically inclined having done several engine swaps on s2ks and sc/nitrous setups/clutch jobs. What do you guys think? Ima throw a test pipe on tomorrow I have from an old setup and see if that helps. I swear its got to be the cat. There is still not any codes!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Forgot to mention I pulled the plugs as well they were black which I expected since the car was in limp mode for awile while trying to start and diagnose. Plugs are only 500 miles old.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Unlikely..it wouldnt be that sudden but if you take the cat out have a look thru it against the light, you should see thru the mesh inside..
Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup -- when the cat failed I had this problem. However, in my case, the detached honeycomb also decapitated an O2 sensor.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one stopped up cat that I did see would get almost red hot from being clogged.
You could take out the primary O2 out for a spell to see if it gets better. Leave it connected to the harness just hang it from a zip tie. This will let the exhaust gases escape and help you diagnose it.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy, jack up the car and unbolt the cat from the exhaust piping and take a look. A blocked cat WILL cause misfires and acceleration issues. The test is go on the highway and floor it. If it feels choked, bingo. Sounds like a good reason to go ahead and buy a test pipe
Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 AM

I swapped the test pipe in along with new spark plugs/replaced all vacuum lines/ compression check shows 240psi on all 4 cylinders still missing a bit in accel. I guess Im gonna rip the fawking fuel pump out now and see swap that out with a spare I have. This crap pisses me off!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by bluemetals2k
I swapped the test pipe in along with new spark plugs/replaced all vacuum lines/ compression check shows 240psi on all 4 cylinders still missing a bit in accel. I guess Im gonna rip the fawking fuel pump out now and see swap that out with a spare I have. This crap pisses me off!
Before you do all of that, check spark at each coil.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Swapped all them already
Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Ok. Is it a dead mis or just an occasional blip? Mine blips a little misfire on idle until I cleaned the IAC motor and the throttle plate.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever have a blocked catalytic converter?