S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TDC camshaft sensor position B

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDC camshaft sensor position B

Luckily when I was pulling in to park at my house. The cel came on. It was late so I wasnt able to go to autozone to get the code, will do that first thing tomorrow.
Code is P1366 TCD

I did notice a noise in the engine which sounds like air leaking or escaping from around the throttle body.

I took a video of it and its taking a LOONNNGGG ass time to upload. Will edit when it gets uploaded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgTdsOdTUeg

2000 AP1 with K&N intake, everything else is stock.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 AM

Are my coil pack suppose to look like that?
the #2/3 doesnt have any rubber boot at the end. I check the 1 and 4 and they both do.

Replaced them back and now car wont start.

As for the air leaking sound. i just switched the hoses in the air valve and it went away.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leeohhness

Are my coil pack suppose to look like that?
the #2/3 doesnt have any rubber boot at the end. I check the 1 and 4 and they both do.

Replaced them back and now car wont start.

As for the air leaking sound. i just switched the hoses in the air valve and it went away.

what happened to those coilpacks? Did the rubber boot stay down on the plug??? Is it my imagination or are #2 and 3 a different color?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 PM

Yeah they are. #2 has a taint of brown and #3 is somewhat cleaner. I checked the inside and there was none to be found.

Installed two new oem 04-05 coil pack but still won't start.
Also, they fit in perfectly so I don't think the rubber is left inside.

Still haven't tried changing the spark plugs.
Also can a tdc cause an engine not to start?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:26 PM

Yeah they are. #2 has a taint of brown and #3 is somewhat cleaner. I checked the inside and there was none to be found.

Installed two new oem 04-05 coil pack but still won't start.
Also, they fit in perfectly so I don't think the rubber is left inside.

Still haven't tried changing the spark plugs.
Also can a tdc cause an engine not to start?
I was throwing a P1399 and the car still started and ran, just ran like sh@t. You could probably stand to do a plug change as well as those 2 coilpacks. Maybe to start just pull the plugs and see what condition they are in. I'll do a little looking around for you and see if I can come up with some ideas for you.
Start with a check on the plugs, if ok try en ECU reset to see if it will start. You can try swapping the sensors on the valve cover and see if the code changes from 2 to 1 as well.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Murphg05
I was throwing a P1399 and the car still started and ran, just ran like sh@t. You could probably stand to do a plug change as well as those 2 coilpacks. Maybe to start just pull the plugs and see what condition they are in. I'll do a little looking around for you and see if I can come up with some ideas for you.
Start with a check on the plugs, if ok try en ECU reset to see if it will start. You can try swapping the sensors on the valve cover and see if the code changes from 2 to 1 as well.

See stupid me cleared the cel and now it might take awhile for it to comeback again.
I checked the sensors and they both have about 2.2-2.3 ohms (used an analog meter) and checked the pins that connect to the sensor and they both have 9ohms, I was told that the pins should have 0 ohms/no resistance when checked.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 PM

Quick update. The car IS running now. I used the new coil packs and switched the tdc sensor. Pretty sure cel will come back.
I found a piece of tiny metal suck on one of the sensor wiped it off and switched them. Maybe that's what was wrong blocking the circuit or something.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Murphg05
P1399 is not the same as P1366. P1399 is "random misfire" and of course the engine will start and run and sometimes will seem to run fairly well.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 AM

Quick update. The car IS running now. I used the new coil packs and switched the tdc sensor. Pretty sure cel will come back.
I found a piece of tiny metal suck on one of the sensor wiped it off and switched them. Maybe that's what was wrong blocking the circuit or something.
progress!