Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Widest Wheel+Tire Setup W/out...

Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Widest Wheel+Tire Setup W/out...

I have a few questions in regard of wheel + tire setup on the S, and need your expertise.

Here is the two setup scenario:

(Both setups with KW variant3 coilovers, and stock cambers)
Fenders Setup A (wide fender setup)
Front:
-Downforce front fenders;

Rear:
-Rolled rear quarter panels;

Fenders Setup B (stock fender setup)
Front:
-Stock front fenders;

Rear:
-Stock rear quarter panels;

Here are the questions for each setup (without rubbing the fenders and hitting the inside of the wheel wells):

What is the widest 17" rims + offset + tire specs without pinching/ stretching tires for both front and rear if...
1) the car is lowered 1"?
2) the car is free to raise or lower in a realistic degree for both front and rear?
3) the car is free to raise or lower and adjust camber in a realistic degree for both front and rear?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

You’re asking a lot my friend. There is quite a few variables to give you a direct answer, or maybe I’m feeling a bit lazy. Part of the problem is there is a lack of fine incremental wheel and tire sizes that allow you to reach ultimate maximum with the outlined variable you have mapped out. You can get very close if you do all the right things, but usually some amount of compromise has to be made in either going narrower or wider then you prefer, spending more money, or more work.

My goal personally was to stuff as much rubber under a stock body S with at my 2" drop, with the typical fender roll and slight pull up front if needed. I looked at what the available sizes were in 17" rims, picked the most aggressive that would fit and later as funds were available, got to work. I can safely say I’m running the widest tires you can for the car in this configuration, wile maintaining an aggressive performance alignment and retaining near OEM tire profile/gear ratio. I recommend doing what I did, start really getting to understand offsets and spend a good amount of time under your car taking measurements and seeing what’s possible, then start shopping when you have a good outline of what you can achieve. Good luck to you
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

For the downforce fronts I am not to sure but it is a setups I have wanted to run. I think with downforce fronts you could fit a 17x10 +35 in the front with at least a 255 if not a 265. The rear however will only accomodate a 255 on that wheel spec (I know thats what I am running) and it requires a good amount of camber and anything wider than a 255 and it won't work at all.

For stock and unrolled the widest you can do without a roll is these guys

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...8-1710-70-5114

I am not sure about fitting them on the front. I would think they would rub so these would be the best fronts to run. Volk Racing CE28N 17x9 / 5x114.3 / Offset +63
As for tires you may still end up needing a roll depending on which tire you go with.

It is also worth mentioning that this is with off the shelf wheels. You can have custom wheels made like s2000Junky and fit a very wide wheel with just a roll but again this requires a custom welded or built wheel which in most cases could put you within reach of the volks if not more depending on who you go to.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
You’re asking a lot my friend. There is quite a few variables to give you a direct answer, or maybe I’m feeling a bit lazy. Part of the problem is there is a lack of fine incremental wheel and tire sizes that allow you to reach ultimate maximum with the outlined variable you have mapped out. You can get very close if you do all the right things, but usually some amount of compromise has to be made in either going narrower or wider then you prefer, spending more money, or more work.

My goal personally was to stuff as much rubber under a stock body S with at my 2" drop, with the typical fender roll and slight pull up front if needed. I looked at what the available sizes were in 17" rims, picked the most aggressive that would fit and later as funds were available, got to work. I can safely say I’m running the widest tires you can for the car in this configuration, wile maintaining an aggressive performance alignment and retaining near OEM tire profile/gear ratio. I recommend doing what I did, start really getting to understand offsets and spend a good amount of time under your car taking measurements and seeing what’s possible, then start shopping when you have a good outline of what you can achieve. Good luck to you
I managed to find these wheel + tire info so far:
__________________________________________________ _________
|_Tire sidewall markings___|__in inches____|_Wheel Diameter with Tire|
|_AP1 stock:____________|_____________|_________________ _____|
|_205/55-16_____________|__8.07"/4.44"__|_24.88"________________|
|_225/50-16_____________|__8.86"/4.43"__|_24.86"________________|
|______________________|_____________|____________ ___________|
|_AP2 stock:____________|_____________|_________________ _____|
|_215/45-17_____________|__8.46"/3.81"__|_24.62"________________|
|_245/40-17_____________|__9.65"/3.86"__|_24.72"________________|
|______________________|_____________|____________ ___________|
|_choices for 17" that may or may not fit___|_______________________|
|_255/40-17_____________|__10.04"/4.02"_|_25.04"________________|
|_265/40-17_____________|__10.43"/4.17"_|_25.34"________________|
|_275/40-17_____________|__10.83"/4.33"_|_25.66"________________|
|_285/40-17_____________|__11.22"/4.49"_|_26"___________________|
|_335/35-17_____________|__13.19"/4.62"_|_26.24"________________|

And according to this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/342...fitment-guide/

For the front:
Offsets lower than +43 are not recommended on the front because a very narrow tire would need to be used to avoid rubbing.
+43 to +47 offset: 205 tires, 6.5" - 7.5" wide wheel
+48 to +52 offset: 215 tires, 7.0" - 8.0" wide wheel
+53 to +57 offset: 225 tires, 7.0" - 8.0" wide wheel
+58 to +62 offset: 235 tires, 7.5" - 8.5" wide wheel
+63 or higher offset: 245 tires, 7.5" - 8.5" wide wheel

For the rear:
Offsets below 40 are not recommended for the rear because a tire narrower than the stock tire would need to be used to avoid rubbing.
+40 to +44 offset: 235 tires, 7.5" - 8.5" wide wheel
+45 to +49 offset: 245 tires, 7.5" - 9.0" wide wheel
+50 to +54 offset: 255 tires, 8.0" - 9.5" wide wheel
+55 to +59 offset: 265 tires, 8.5" - 9.5" wide wheel
+60 to +64 offset: 275 tires, 9.0" - 10.0" wide wheel
+65 or higher offset: 285 tires, 9.0" - 10.0" wide wheel

However, this thread didn't mention anything about the actual wheel wells specs, the max suspension compression rate, and max wheel travel for compression. This makes fitment prediction that much harder.

Since you already have measured clearance with the wheel wells, will you be kind enough to share your measurement with us?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
For the downforce fronts I am not to sure but it is a setups I have wanted to run. I think with downforce fronts you could fit a 17x10 +35 in the front with at least a 255 if not a 265. The rear however will only accomodate a 255 on that wheel spec (I know thats what I am running) and it requires a good amount of camber and anything wider than a 255 and it won't work at all.

I am not sure about fitting them on the front. I would think they would rub so these would be the best fronts to run. Volk Racing CE28N 17x9 / 5x114.3 / Offset +63
As for tires you may still end up needing a roll depending on which tire you go with.

It is also worth mentioning that this is with off the shelf wheels. You can have custom wheels made like s2000Junky and fit a very wide wheel with just a roll but again this requires a custom welded or built wheel which in most cases could put you within reach of the volks if not more depending on who you go to.
Thanks for the info, but what I don't get is that since you are certain that the stock rear will only fits 255, and this thread (https://www.s2ki.com/...-fitment-guide/) says something otherwise. Some variables must haven't been accounted for, and both of you are saying it is stock max. Or I might have misunderstood something here and there.

Another question, why doesn't anyone mention the tire aspect radio when dealing with clearance?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Good thread.

I also wondered this myself, and it seems like those running the much larger tires aren't willing to spell out exactly what fits and what won't. I'm not in a position to buy a new set of wheels and run wider rubber, but perhaps down the road we'll see. It would definitely be nice if someone shared their hard work w/ the rest of us so as to save us from redoing the the work/trial and error..

I'll be doing some work on my car today, if you want some measurements I'd be happy to take some while I'm working on the car. I'm really only interested in setup B as I have no intention of aftermarket front fenders. On that note, it seems like your table is pretty close in terms of what fits on a stock car w/o rolling fenders. The rear you're probably limited to ~275's w/o rolling at least from what I've read.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfNA
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1363979000' post='22421709

Thanks for the info, but what I don't get is that since you are certain that the stock rear will only fits 255, and this thread (https://www.s2ki.com/...-fitment-guide/) says something otherwise. Some variables must haven't been accounted for, and both of you are saying it is stock max. Or I might have misunderstood something here and there.

Another question, why doesn't anyone mention the tire aspect radio when dealing with clearance?
Incorrect I said that the 17x10 +35 will only fit a 255 in the rear unless you do over fenders/widebody. In the front you run into issues with hitting the suspension when you turn as much as you could also hit the fender if you push the wheel outwardly.

With the Volks I posted you can run something wider. Also I did say that if you had a custom wheel made like junky did you can fit a much wider tire but you will have to get under your car and do some measurements. Because of this custom requirement it is impossible for us to give you an off the shelf answer to your question. I am sure with the proper measurements you could fit a a very wide tire like junky has but he did all the measurements and work to make them fit and no off the shelf wheel has the specs his have.

The aspect ratio is mentions however the goal is to keep the same radius as the stock wheel and tire so gears and the speedo isn't affected.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on stock rear quarters, however, I'm pulled like a mother f er, I'm running 17x11+30 with a 275/40 with no camber. Like people posted earlier it all depends on how much work you put into it.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Please post a picture because one I don't believe you and 2 there is no way you have stock fenders with that width and offset.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfirecwp
I'm on stock rear quarters, however, I'm pulled like a mother f er, I'm running 17x11+30 with a 275/40 with no camber. Like people posted earlier it all depends on how much work you put into it.
How do you fit that? +30 offset on an 11"? I am not trying to say u r lying; I mean I would be very happy if that is truly doable, but I am not even sure the wheels wouldn't rub or hit the well even after the car is raised by an inch.

Maybe you can show us some pics, and then share how you did it.

Quick Reply: The Widest Wheel+Tire Setup W/out...