The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

Vent Thread

Old 12-09-2009 | 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i KNOW i missed it cause my time slot was after i start work and before my lunch break. and i don't sit at a computer all day at work. basically, of all 24 hours of the day my 2 hour time slot fell right when i CANNOT use the internet. hell, 3am would have been better for me.

but it's not too bad. too many variables to gurantee that i can make an event that far in the future. and the fact that it's not refundable and non tranferable means that i loose $100+ ( i was +1) off the bat.
Old 12-10-2009 | 07:09 AM

Kinda stupid they only give you a few hours to register.
Old 12-14-2009 | 05:42 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy crap this morning already sucks!!!!

Freaking parking ticket is the first thing I see when I step outside of my house this morning. "Parked within 30 feet of a stop sign". There is no freaking sign that says I can't park there. No yellow curb. It's at a T intersection and that stop sign went up less than a year ago. What's going to happen is I'm going to contest it and they will deny it and charge me more for contesting it. And I'll have no other chance to contest it. I freaking hate the City of Chicago (not the actual city, just the a-holes running it).
Old 12-14-2009 | 06:11 AM

Got bitched at by my boss this morning for coming in 20 minutes late because I had to drop my cat off a the vet to get his balls chopped.

What the hell you expect when you got me working 6 days a week at ****** 8 am.

Old 12-14-2009 | 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patinum,Dec 14 2009, 08:42 AM
Freaking parking ticket is the first thing I see when I step outside of my house this morning. "Parked within 30 feet of a stop sign". There is no freaking sign that says I can't park there. No yellow curb. It's at a T intersection and that stop sign went up less than a year ago. What's going to happen is I'm going to contest it and they will deny it and charge me more for contesting it. And I'll have no other chance to contest it. I freaking hate the City of Chicago (not the actual city, just the a-holes running it).
I think my roommate's girlfriend got a ticket that exact same way.
Old 12-16-2009 | 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to deal with the most pathetic display of engineering approval for a job last night. Over and over I wanted to slap them and then yell in their face and ask "What the hell were you thinking?!?!"

Understanding this was a development job so the kinks weren't ironed out, but seriously, whoever approved (or drew the sketch for that matter) needs to get slapped.

So I'm supposed to hold a .020 concentricity installing a center hole in a part to a datum that can't truly be checked. It was a theoretical sharp point, which isn't really the center of this big radius either, so I couldn't even use that as a gauge. It was a point out in the middle of space!
And why we needed the hold that kind of tolerance when the hole was just getting put in for the hydroform to completely reshape the part, and then we cut it again afterward is beyond me. The hole had a .010 tolerance, which is nothing hard, but it became a nightmare because of another problem.

The parts did not fit the fixture. Not only did they not fit the fixture, they fit loosely. And because of the part design, they would tilt and pivot on the fixture, in which the locating surface was an edge. So in order to hold the concentricity, I needed to level each part with an indicator. They tell me that it needs to be flat within .005. Fine. That is, until I find out that the parts level themselves however they WANT to be leveled. I could have spent 9 hours spinning the same part around, leveling it, yet it would wind up right back where I started by the time I reached 360 degrees of rotation. I shut the machine door, and see the indicator needle move .003. Some parts moved while in process, and that .010 tolerance got shot to hell when the hole wasn't even round anymore.

And I ask myself why we have to hold these tolerances when it gets hydroformed? As soon as that machine touches the part it gets warped to hell and that hole becomes gaping as surfaces get stretched and reshaped by 300+ tons of pressure.

I figured out a way to hold the part . . . . sort of . . . that worked well enough for me to run, but I wasn't satisfied with my solution. And I still had parts that moved during the run.
Old 12-16-2009 | 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patinum,Dec 14 2009, 08:42 AM
Holy crap this morning already sucks!!!!

I saw something on the news the other night about overzealous ticket writing... and a few methods to contest the tickets were provided. Let me see if I can locate the info, I was only half paying attention at the time.

here's the story, still looking for how to contest it:

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/parking.ticke....2.1369401.html
Old 12-17-2009 | 01:45 PM

i've gotten 2 of those "parking within 30' of a stop sign" tickets.

i just figured it's one of those good for nothing laws that most cops don't know about or ignore. Or the many cops you don't hear about thats always giving you a break by not nit picking the little things. like not being an ass with a ticket when you spend 40 minutes looking for parking in the city and the only one you can find forces your front bumper 2 inches over the painted yellow curb.
Then you get "robocop" fresh outta the academy with a pole up his butt and BAM! he pulls out the ruler to measure your ride height, a DB meter to measure your exhaust/stereo volume, a light meter to measure your tint %. next thing you know you got a court date with a fist full of tickets!
Old 12-17-2009 | 02:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Makes me happy we moved away from Chicago. We were always getting those damn street sweeping tickets.
Old 12-18-2009 | 01:27 PM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Received 2,882 Likes on 2,089 Posts

What I thought was just where one of the kids rubbed on the bumper of the car is actually a 3 foot long scratch

Quick Reply: Vent Thread