The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

Vent Thread

Old 06-23-2009 | 02:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain-man,Jun 23 2009, 02:10 PM
I wont deny that I could have worded it better, but I didn't care. I was venting.
Everybody gets some slack for not being the most articulate when they're venting. Here's my vent for the day. Happened this morning:

Me (to Gov't Worker #1): I'd like to speak with someone about changing my name on my Social Insurance Number.
GW#1: Have you changed your name already?
Me: No, that's why I'm here.
GW#1: So you want to change your name on your Social Insurance Number?
Me: Yes, I want to change my name on my Social Insurance Number.
GW#1: Um, we don't provide that service here. I think that's on the 4th floor. [Turning to GW#2] She wants to change her name...
Me: On my social insurance number.
GW#2: You want to change your name on your Social Insurance Number?
Me [frustrated and not sure how much more clearly I can state my request!]: Yes, I want to change my name on my Social Insurance Number.
GW#2: Okay, you can do that here.
Me: but trying to politely smile
GW#1: Oh I misunderstood.
Me: [Wondering what exactly she misunderstood.]
Old 06-23-2009 | 02:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe you should have asked in French.
Old 06-23-2009 | 02:53 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain-man,Jun 23 2009, 10:10 AM
No, it wasn't a typo. Think about it for a minute-

5 lanes of traffic is squeezing into 3. That means two less lanes of traffic. So I was correct in saying 2 lanes trying to squeeze into 3, because those 2 lanes were disappearing and there were 3 remaining lanes. I wont deny that I could have worded it better, but I didn't care. I was venting.
Sorry, I was trying to be funnier than I came off. I share your traffic vent, and sometimes traffic can stop for the most insane reasons that I almost feel like traffic could come to a hault because 2 lanes turn into 3. But now that I've had to explain my attempt at humor, it's just not funny anymore. Awkward, weird -- yes. Funny -- no.

Oh well, at least after reading Charlie's WI Dunes thread I don't feel so bad about being that weird Michigan guy.
Old 06-23-2009 | 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90 degree day. humid as the nutty professor's crotch. working in a non a/c shop. hands filthy covored in dirt,grease and oil. sweat driping into my eyes. can't wipe off sweat off eyes because 1) have glasses on 2) sleeves are just as filthy as hands 3) can't afford to step away from task at hand just for a rag to wipe off sweat.
Old 06-23-2009 | 07:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Jun 23 2009, 06:16 PM
Maybe you should have asked in French.
Actually you just reminded me - she greeted me in French! I think there are some positions that require bilingualism, but I don't think there's a large French speaking population here, unless it's people from countries that France colonized. She probably just wanted to give the illusion that she could speak French.
Old 06-23-2009 | 07:29 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I like to give the illusion that I can speak french too.
Old 06-23-2009 | 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamron,Jun 23 2009, 04:53 PM
Sorry, I was trying to be funnier than I came off. I share your traffic vent, and sometimes traffic can stop for the most insane reasons that I almost feel like traffic could come to a hault because 2 lanes turn into 3. But now that I've had to explain my attempt at humor, it's just not funny anymore. Awkward, weird -- yes. Funny -- no.

Oh well, at least after reading Charlie's WI Dunes thread I don't feel so bad about being that weird Michigan guy.
No,no, I understoon your humor. And it was funny. But when you're venting, sometimes the funny aspects are slightly overlooked. I have a strong tendancy to take things too seriously, so don't take it the wrong way. Chicagolanders, and Milwaukeeans alike have some crappy traffic areas. Milwaukee is the Zoo interchange, which, just like the name, turns into an absolute zoo full of monkeys at certain parts of the day. And the marquette interchange, in which I have personally experienced 60 mph to dead stop within a couple seconds. Litterally slam-on-the-brakes and pray you don't get into an accident fast. Milwaukeeans are notorious for gaper's block and have to slow down and look at the retard getting a speeding ticket . . . on the other side of the freeway.

And I DO believe that Chicagolanders would slow down to accept an extra lane of traffic.

Don't feel bad. I understood the joke the first time through.
Old 06-23-2009 | 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Jun 23 2009, 01:21 PM
He's from Wisconsin. Don't let his communication skills reflect on Chicago.
So, whacha sayan dar, eh? Ya gotta problem wit Wisconsin? Tink we don'no how ta talk righ? Whacha mean communication skills? I communicate just fine, thank you very much!

Old 06-29-2009 | 06:55 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Received 2,882 Likes on 2,089 Posts

Really annoying bluetooth system in the Mercedes likes to pick up the call even if you're not in the car, when the car isn't even on and is supposed to be sitting quietly in the garage. So you're sitting outside enjoying the weather and trying to have a conversation and the stupid car keeps trying to intercept the call, resulting in the other person hanging up cause they can't hear you.
Old 06-29-2009 | 06:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Serves you right for owning a Mercedes... all that fancy-schmancy Gehman technology is too much for us run-of-the-mill Honda owners.

Quick Reply: Vent Thread