The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

Vent Thread

Old 09-10-2010 | 06:00 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Received 2,882 Likes on 2,089 Posts

I would have to agree, Kamron. That is shitty.
Old 09-10-2010 | 08:00 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The worst part is, I thought I really liked this couple until their half-ass invite. Now, I'm gonna hold a grudge.

I mean seriously, we've got to take time off work, make arrangements for our dogs, get a hotel room, travel out of town (friggin' BFE) for the wedding, and then only the bridal party is suppose to attend the rehearsal dinner the night before, no guests (hell, I'm not even a "guest", I'm specifically named on the wedding invitation)? Are you kidding me? What is that about? If cost is a factor, I understand, weddings are expensive! But there's better options, don't have a rehersal dinner, or even better, I'd have been more than happy to pay for our meal. Their restriction on the rehearsal dinner guest list is moronic.
Old 09-10-2010 | 08:05 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

I was always under the impression that significant others of the bridal party were automatically in.

Sounds kinda deliberate to me.
Old 09-10-2010 | 08:10 AM
S2KI Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Sep 10 2010, 08:05 AM
I was always under the impression that significant others of the bridal party were automatically in.
I agree, I thought this was a given also.....
Old 09-10-2010 | 08:18 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Sep 10 2010, 12:05 PM

Sounds kinda deliberate to me.
Not kinda, it is deliberate when you are specifically told you are not to attend.

Whatever, at least it feels better to vent about it.
Old 09-10-2010 | 10:53 AM

It isn't very often I talk about negative things anymore, today I shall share a sad story, a story life and death.

Back in 2000 my mom had a store in Winnetka, she was on the street front and there were apartments above her. This little old lady who lived above her became friends with my mom, she was just the nicest old lady you'd ever meet. She would always worry about others, bringing gifts and things to others because even while she had absolutely nothing, she felt the deep desire to care for others. As we got to know her we found out a long time ago she was a nurse, so we understood this caring for others, but she never questioned her love for others.

Back in 2005 my mom closed her shop, it just wasn't economical to have a storefront. While this little old lady was sad, my mom promised to always be there for her when she needed something. My mom would go visit her just to see how she was, go to dinner with her, or just have a cup of tea and talk. She would often come to our house to help my mom with tasks, simple things shinning some silverware or organizing something. While often it was more work for my mom to redo the work, this little old lady was just as happy as can be because she could help someone and to my mom that meant more than anything.

Since this little old lady started to get older and her friends moved away, her friend Norm who lived in the city decided to help her move into the city an a few years ago she moved into the city. My mom would still go and take her to the doctors or help her shop for things, anytime my mom would see a client in the city she would make an effort to go see her to make sure she was ok. Norm would keep her company and take her to family events he had, together my mom and Norm had the ability to help this little old lady continue her life. This little old lady was simply a beacon of light, helping anyone and doing anything she could to make that little difference.

Her name was Julieta. Julieta passed away today.

But what gets me most is her daughter (she may have even had two daughters) were not there to take her to the doctors, they were not there to help her at the store, they were not there for her when she needed them most. Her daughters broke all ties with her over 20 years ago because she was Jewish and they married into a Mormon family. I am sorry but I don't care what faith you are, I don't care what things you believe in, if you abandon your mother your trash. Pure trash. Family should be the most important thing in your life, they are who got you here into this world and they should be with you at the end. While Julieta became one of our family members, it is sad her own blood wasn't there to say goodbye.

I only tell you this story because I think people need a dose of humility sometimes, I know I need it from time to time, it really lets me know I am human and it lets me know who is important to me. I only ask you tell someone you love that you love them, but mean it, don't say it if your just saying it because you want to say the words. Love your family and remember how short life really is. And if your not close to your family, I hope you grow a new family that you can become close to, the past doesn't determine the future.
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:13 AM
Site Moderator
15 Year Member

Very sorry to hear, Chris.

Some families are like that, I don't really understand how some people can do it, I know I could never do that. My family is the only thing I know I can count on no matter what and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:35 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

That was a touching memoir Chris. I'm sorry for your and your mother's loss. I'm also sorry that religious bigotry played such a role in Julieta's life.
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Sep 10 2010, 02:13 PM
Very sorry to hear, Chris.

Some families are like that, I don't really understand how some people can do it, I know I could never do that. My family is the only thing I know I can count on no matter what and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
completely. I'm very sorry to hear this, Chris. I feel very blessed to have the family that I have.

Last Monday I spontaneously drove down to Galesburg for the day to visit my Grandpa and he was extremely happy to see me. We then went over to my aunt and uncle's where we had dinner. They all enjoyed my company, and I enjoyed filling them in on my life as-of late. It was DEFINITELY worth the trip.
Old 09-10-2010 | 12:28 PM

Thanks guys, just thought i'd share the story. It helps to write about bad times, gives me positive energy to write out all my more negative thoughts.

Quick Reply: Vent Thread