Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of eBay AP2V1 Wheels

Old 04-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Review of eBay AP2V1 Wheels

I posted another thread (Feeling At A Loss) recently regarding wheels for my 2002 S2000. To make a long story short, I purchased a set of the replica wheels from eBay, at the advice of several others, to temporarily get me through until I decide on what aftermarket wheels I want to buy, or piece together a set of CR wheels. I was initially uncomfortable with the idea of the eBay wheels but did some research that alleviated most of my concerns regarding these wheels. This thread is to provide a resource for others that may be interested in purchasing a set for themselves, or to dissuade them from doing so, if the experience proves to be unsatisfactory. I will continue to post updates regarding my experience here as I will be running these wheels through at least this season.

Firstly, yes, they are made in China. I will be the first one to state that products from China can be suspect but lets think about this for a minute. Prada, Coach, Levi's, Lenovo computers, IBM and a multitude of other brand names you use every day are produced there. Lets leave the politics out of it, shall we? The fact is, just because its made there, doesn't mean its poor quality. Then again, doesn't mean its good either! I'm just approaching this with an open mind.

The wheels were purchased on eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Set-of-...=Model%3AS2000

Purchase price was $485.96 and totaled $520 with tax shipped. They have distributors around the country so you may or may not have tax, depending on what state you live in. I reside in Ohio.

The name for the eBay company selling the wheels is Tobacco Road. I did some digging after my bill was from a well known wheel refinishing / refurbishing company called, Wheels And Caps. They are easily found via Google. I decided to dig a bit more and found that Wheels and Caps is owned by a company called, Transwheel Corp. Transwheel was purchased in the 90's by LKQ Corp and has a good reputation from what I have seen in my limited digging. LKQ happens to be the country's largest nationwide provider of collision replacement parts and refurbished engines. They have operations in places such as the UK, France, Canada, Mexico and Central America. I did see notations from a source not affiliated with LKQ stating that they have numerous awards and that several automakers (didn't say which ones, but presumably American given the context and verbage of the source), endorse Transwheel for best practice standards and allow them to perform warranty work for them, including wheel replacement. It is my understanding that any parts sold by either Transwheel or LKQ, must meet all requirements in the countries they sell parts in. All wheels sold by Transwheel and affiliates must meet a host of SAE requirements and all safety standards. All of their wheels have been tested to meet or exceed SAE J2530 and SAE J175 standards. That means Technical Standards for dynamic radial and dynamic cornering fatigue, and impact testing. Transwheel employs Independent Test Services (ITS). This company test their wheels "under conditions that are more extreme than those specified by SAE International." Further, "All three of the fatigue and impact test are performed on each wheel, and at double the required rotation levels for the dynamic cornering fatigue test." If you want to research more deeply, have a go at it. The point is that they wheels cannot be death traps because they meet international safety requirements, are tested and ultimately sold by the nations largest collision parts company. That being said, they aren't necessarily great but not necessarily mediocre. Again, you make up your own mind. I have yet to make up mine.

Ordering: Ordering was easy but you must use Paypal to have the wheels shipped to any address other than the billing address on your credit card. Paypal is safer anyway. I need my wheels shipped to my folks since they are retired and home most days. From the date of order, the wheels were delivered within four days, and only due to a Sunday. The boxes arrived undamaged from the exterior and the wheels were packaged well. I have yet to check all four, but two of them appeared to be in excellent condition. I have not owned a 2004-2005 S2000 but the finish / color looks dead on the pictures of stock rims I enlarged online. The faces appear clean, no cracks, no blemishes, no unevenness. If one didn't look at the back of the wheel, I doubt anyone could tell the difference. I am posting photos below (due to being on my phone, not my laptop) for your viewing pleasure. In one of the photos there appears to be a crack. I assure you there is not. It was dust from the blanket and a Border Collie hair. The dog sheds everywhere. The rims I looked at are spotless and I will check the others later this evening, as I had a carbon fiber OEM lip from Seibon to inspect as well. So far, so good.
The following users liked this post:
RBS20003 (09-07-2021)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:08 PM

Old 04-09-2018, 05:11 PM

99MCoupe (04-02-2019)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 1,305 Likes on 987 Posts

Great thread. Will prove useful to the community. Your diligence and open mindedness are refreshing.

As you mentioned, China is capable of manufacturing very high quality goods, as well as total junk. There are areas that are still very third world, as well as very high tech. Its a bit Wild West (Wild East?), in that there isn't a lot of regulation, and its not easy to know if you will great stuff or junk. The culture doesn't yet fully recognize the power of word of mouth and repeat business, where building good stuff gets you a good reputation, which over time leads to success. Capitalism is still new, and certainly not fully embraced. Yet ironically the culture is very brand conscious (regarding Western brands).

So far it sounds like these wheels are on the quality end of this spectrum.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

It would be interesting to get the weight of the wheels before they are mounted.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
It would be interesting to get the weight of the wheels before they are mounted.
The only scale I have is a bathroom model. It’s not extremely accurate, obviously, but I could give it a go. I’ll try to get a front and rear weight. At least it will be approximate.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for posting your initial impressions. The finishing looks nice. Their eBay store should use your pictures.
Yeah, curious about the weight vs. genuine Honda AP2V1. I look forward to more reviews.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:38 PM

WEIGHT OF EBAY AP2V1 WHEELS

They are the same as the OEM wheels, if not a smidge lighter (a tenth or two), which is probably due to the scale being off a touch or that the OEM wheel weights I’ve seen on this forum were weighed with center caps.

REAR: 22.4 lbs
FRONT: 18.2 lbs

To me, this shows they are cast the same. I have been told by another dealer they are manufactured to the same specs and with the same process.

Again, the proof is in the pudding. We’ll see how they balance out and how they hold up. Should have tires early next week, once I make up my mind on what set I want to go with.
99MCoupe (04-02-2019)
Old 04-14-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I bet they are virtually identical to the OEM. Good luck with them.

Seeing those numbers reminds me just how heavy my ap2 v3, (and the CR wheels), are. I think they come in slighter higher than those numbers.

BBS JDM 16" Wheels - Front appox. 12.5 Lbs., Rear appox. 13.5 Lbs. Un-sprung weight. Forged, not cast. On my scale - who knows how accurate. But, they are light - no doubt about that. When you look at the tire weights for comparable tires 16 v. 17 there usually is some but not a lot of difference.

Weight isn't everything in life. But, food for thought.

Last edited by rpg51; 04-14-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
I bet they are virtually identical to the OEM. Good luck with them....

BBS JDM 16" Wheels - Front appox. 12.5 Lbs., Rear appox. 13.5 Lbs....Weight isn't everything in life. But, food for thought.
Its nice to have the lighter wheels, for sure. But the other side of the coin is that, given the difference in weight and the difference in cost, to shed that weight is about $70 per pound. For those with a street car and a budget, that may not be possible. Personally, I doubt I will stay on these for too long, as they weren’t intended to be the final destination. However, they look nice. Until they get tires mounted and balanced and they see some real world use, the verdict, for me, is still out. I hope they work well. Sure would make them a bargain at $520 to your door

Quick Reply: Review of eBay AP2V1 Wheels