Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Widest Wheel+Tire Setup W/out...

Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Practical not practice lol
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfNA' timestamp='1364283973' post='22428784
[quote name='spitfirecwp' timestamp='1364255421' post='22428034']
This is my old set up 18x9.5+22 255/35 zero camber in it No poke. sorry that I don't have better pics of it right now but like I said I will post some when I get some. When I stated that that they were at the body shop; all they did was touched up the paint I did all the pull with a fender roller very carefully. I did not buckle the fender at all I just took my time with it. I will admit that I was a lil more daring the. Most at the time since my car was at the shop I knew if I messed it up they could fix it. But really anyone can pull them with minimal damage if done properly.
yeah, more pics would be great! It's even better if you would try fitting 325 under like s2000Junky said. Although 295 sounds pretty sweet, but man, 325!
Your welcome
[/quote]
Lol. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It is very kind of you sharing your specs and insights. to you.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1364317845' post='22429651
I think I need to extract myself from this thread before I lower my IQ points any further. Its threads like this that make me to start to question why Indeed I spend time to share info to those that aren’t even on the same page, or apparently give a shit, after they ask for the info. I sort of sensed that initially, but got sucked in. My mistake.

Custom work, means you figure it out yourself. That’s the nature of CUSTOM.
Thanks for sharing your work, many of us appreciate it. Perhaps if/when I get to the stage where I'm looking into aftermarket wheels I'll revisit this issue, but I think this is an interesting thread regardless. Clearing the fender is one measurement, but the difficult part is measuring suspension travel (to make sure there's no rubbing on the inside), and any rubbing when running lock to lock in the front. It seems like the only way to be sure a wheel/tire setup will fit is manually doing all the measurements and calculating things on your own. There are just too many variables that play a large role in whether something rubs or not.
I couldn't agree more. I really not see the point of repeated trial and error, and not fully knowing whether something fits or not just by reading specs at the beginning. For ex: not know whether an entire elephant would fit in my s2k or not is just ridiculous. Moreover, it seems like no one really understand the concept of divide and conquer. The intend of this thread WAS to see stock measurements 1st, then add a single mod and measure, and repeat the process every time someone post new mod. Getting a precise understanding on how much and what changed. Then do the customization under realistic, or unrealistic terms if one desires with the given OBJECTIVE info. No needs of jumping into the compound problem of customization at the get-go and go "oops".

Thx for everyone's genuine inputs tho.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Was happy to offer my input if its been helpful
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfNA
I couldn't agree more. I really not see the point of repeated trial and error, and not fully knowing whether something fits or not just by reading specs at the beginning. For ex: not know whether an entire elephant would fit in my s2k or not is just ridiculous. Moreover, it seems like no one really understand the concept of divide and conquer. The intend of this thread WAS to see stock measurements 1st, then add a single mod and measure, and repeat the process every time someone post new mod. Getting a precise understanding on how much and what changed. Then do the customization under realistic, or unrealistic terms if one desires with the given OBJECTIVE info. No needs of jumping into the compound problem of customization at the get-go and go "oops".

I think what I was trying to say with my previous post is that I've come to realize that it's very difficult (well mainly time consuming) to create a chart that says X will fit with ABCXYZ settings w/o any rubbing. What kind of suspension you're on and ride height affect how much suspension travel there is. On top of that you have camber which plays a big role, and of course wheel offset and tire sizes. It's quite a bit of work to create a chart/list where you can say "X fits." I have a lot of other projects going on (home renovations) and a new puppy so it seems like I never have enough time to tinker w/ my car these days. I'm lacking the personal motivation myself to take measurements in the fenderwells because I'm not at the stage to buy wheels, but if you want me to take some measurements next time I got the wheels off I'd be happy to do so.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfNA' timestamp='1364364714' post='22431275

I think what I was trying to say with my previous post is that I've come to realize that it's very difficult (well mainly time consuming) to create a chart that says X will fit with ABCXYZ settings w/o any rubbing. What kind of suspension you're on and ride height affect how much suspension travel there is. On top of that you have camber which plays a big role, and of course wheel offset and tire sizes. It's quite a bit of work to create a chart/list where you can say "X fits." I have a lot of other projects going on (home renovations) and a new puppy so it seems like I never have enough time to tinker w/ my car these days. I'm lacking the personal motivation myself to take measurements in the fenderwells because I'm not at the stage to buy wheels, but if you want me to take some measurements next time I got the wheels off I'd be happy to do so.
It is also worth mentioning that just because x fits on one car does not mean it will fit on every car. Each car is going to be a little different. I think you have been given the off the shelf options for fitment. Anything beyond that and it is going to require you to do your own measuring, planning etc. There is to many variables just as Slowteg said to be able to say exactly what will work on every car. That is why we tried to offer the measurements and specs of our own set ups as general guidelines but there is no way of knowing if it will work on your car with your set up until you try it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

With a cut or rolled stock rear quarter, there is 12.5" from that point to inner fender well, but only about 12” when measured from top of shock tower brace. A 17 vs 18 will fit different there in that area, some removal of the tower brace has to be done in some cases. Up front it gets tricky because the distance isnt the same, its contoured on the inside, so depending on where you measure from it can be anywhere from 10.5" to 12" from outside to inner well and ride height or suspension movement amount will dictate if you hit the shallower areas there.

So yes, when you account for all the typical solid variables, coupled with information such as this, it still only gives you an idea of what your up against, you still have to get into the mix yourself and see what’s going on if you want to maximize anything. If your not willing to do the work, then it will be very difficult for you to reap the rewards.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a 10.5'' wide wheel on the back with a +63 offset. Fit flush and no rolling required when I was on 1'' lowering springs. but now that im about 2-2.5'' lower than stock I had to roll my fenders
Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM

Yup, I totally agree with the need for measuring things in first person for accurate numbers. Tho, trial and error is one way to do things, however, I see a more systematical approach. The way I see it is, the wheel wells have specific amount of space, we can get these numbers and specs down; also the wheels and tires are this big. would they fit? I do understand that the wells are not in a perfect angular shape, thus, some more advanced math have to be done. For an overly simplified ex: how far down can a water melon fits into a traffic cone with a rod that is 5" in the middle of the cone at a 62 degree angle? Is this solvable? Yes. Is this tedious? Absolutely. The hard part is that I can't find any info in regard to the actual specs of the s2k well. I also read about this one person on this forum who makes rear well liners for the s2k, and I think he measured the s2k with 3D modeling, and made molding for he's product. I emailed him in hopes of the data, but he hasn't reply thus far.

I know, some of you may think I have my head over the clouds, be the s2k is a 13yrs old car, and none of us have figured it out.

IMHO, the focus should not be on the wheels, the wheels come in later. Thus, off the shelf or not should not matter. For ex: it is not how much grains we have, and we ship them with how many boats; but rather, how many boats we have, and we can only ship how much grains.

But, may be like you all suspected, this may turn out to be an impossible project.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by fallen612
i had a 10.5'' wide wheel on the back with a +63 offset. Fit flush and no rolling required when I was on 1'' lowering springs. but now that im about 2-2.5'' lower than stock I had to roll my fenders
Thx fallen for sharing.

Quick Reply: The Widest Wheel+Tire Setup W/out...