Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not 7.5 non staggered?

Old 06-21-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So on the 17x7.5 rim I want the Nitto Neo Gen 225/45 rear 215/45 front. Or should I go 215/40 front. I notice the tire sizes are normally staggered. Not sure why? Is it just clearance issues from front to rear? I understand staggering the width of the tire but the sidewall height....not clear on that one. They do make a 235/50 for the rear and a 205/45(7.5 max rim width recommendation)or205/40(8 max rim width)for the front. I just dont want any rubbing. I know I am riding the wire with low +42offset. So I dont want to smack my fender with my tire or something stupid like that.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

You were told why. Multiple times and again it wasn't the answer you wanted so you ignore it. Like I said do whatever you want and learn the hard way. That seems to be the only way you will actually understand.

As for sidewall height the reason it is usually different front to rear is because the sidewall aspect ratio is a percentage of the tread width. So on a narrower tire you need a larger percentage to have the same sidewall height as a wider tire. For instance a 215/45/17 is 96.75and a 245/40/17 is a 98 sidewall so as you see the sidewall is very close to the same. Further you want to have the same rolling diameter as stock. That's why 18's use a lower aspect ratio to account larger wheel that makes the sidewall shorter so the rolling diameter is the same.

Honestly spend more time learning. The fact you don't understand simple things like the sidewall measurement says you need to learn before wasting your money. There is much better tires than the nitto gen as well. Go to your local subforum go to some meets and talk to people and listen. It is fine to have your own tastes and style but there are things you need to understand before you go and buy something that will be a waste or worse a downgrade or flat out dangerous.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 235/50 would be a little tall in the rear, but I think it would be more favorable to run more rear tire than less. The largest I would go back there is the 225/45, and purely just to avoid rubbing from the low offset.

The 215/40 will work in front but I'd recommend the 205s just to give you a more optimum stagger to preserve the handling characteristics.

Either way, I think you're making a stupid-ass decision if you want the 7.5 non stagger, especially in that offset. You're picking wheels that will fit strangely, won't benefit the handling of the car at all, and trying to fit tires with sizing that doesn't really work with the handling characteristics of the car.

If anything, pick those Kojins and go with a 225/255 stagger - It will look great and actually benefit the car. And stop looking at just the Nittos. I had Neo gens on my old RSX and liked them, but there are literally dozens of other tires to choose that come in sizes that will work with the car and give you the performance you'd actually want. I'd recommend the Hankook V12, Conti DW, or Bridgestone S-04 if you need a summer, and find some used snows or all seasons to thrown on your stock wheels for the winter.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

7.5's with all season tires? Might as well get some steel wheels or Prius tires as mentioned already. Way to downgrade from stock.

Might as well do a B16 swap while you're at it, they look great!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:55 AM

Its a safety thing actually. And I don't drive my car to "Turn Heads"

Originally Posted by Bullwings
You should just get a set of deep dish steelies.

Lots of looks. You'll turn lots of heads. You'll also have equally crap performance.

All for much cheaper too.

You call yourself a "tire junkie" saying that you "love fresh tires"...

Why? because they look cool? Most people can't tell the difference between a new tire and an old one if you put Armor All on it.

If you love them because of grip, then you're a tool for insisting on a 17x7.5 square setup.

Also, a +42 offset is crap unless you're really trying to fit some wide wheels with BBK clearance. Then it's pretty common place to look at wheels in the +40 to +50 offset range, but people are typically looking for a 9 to 10" wide wheel once they drop to those offsets unless they're completely cheaping out and trying to get something purely for looks only... It takes a bit more fender work to get a +42 offset under the car, but it'll probably be much easier with those skinny donut prius wheels you're getting.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:02 AM

I did say I'm new........not stupid. I am a very seasoned driver. Just never owned a RWD car, I have driven them before.

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Also, since you're new to RWD, the AP1 isn't the most friendly car to be introduced to RWD. You're also compounding the learning curve by going with a skinny non-staggered setup.

People already have problems with the stock staggered setup.

http://www.reddit.co..._and_lost_it_a/

http://www.planet-9....r-accident.html

https://www.s2ki.com/...-speed-corners/

http://s2000.com/for...-oversteer.html

Honestly, best of luck to you...
Old 06-22-2014, 02:03 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Please don't ruin the s2000 with those rime and tires. Sell your s2000 to someone that can appreciate a performance rwd car and go back to fwd cars.

Nitto gens are also junk tires for the s2000. The only nitto tires that should go on a s2000 are either the nt05 or nt01.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:18 AM

Like I said earlier....I got my answer, I didn't ask again. And yes I am guilty of being lazy and asking a question that I could easily have looked up. I have trouble reading on the computer. I have MS and when I read on a computer screen for too long my optic nerve swells and my vision gets blurry and I get a headache. SORRY. I always thought that forums were a quick way of learning and sharing experience. I mean really, If it weren't for stupid people like me what would you do with your time?

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
You were told why. Multiple times and again it wasn't the answer you wanted so you ignore it. Like I said do whatever you want and learn the hard way. That seems to be the only way you will actually understand.

As for sidewall height the reason it is usually different front to rear is because the sidewall aspect ratio is a percentage of the tread width. So on a narrower tire you need a larger percentage to have the same sidewall height as a wider tire. For instance a 215/45/17 is 96.75and a 245/40/17 is a 98 sidewall so as you see the sidewall is very close to the same. Further you want to have the same rolling diameter as stock. That's why 18's use a lower aspect ratio to account larger wheel that makes the sidewall shorter so the rolling diameter is the same.

Honestly spend more time learning. The fact you don't understand simple things like the sidewall measurement says you need to learn before wasting your money. There is much better tires than the nitto gen as well. Go to your local subforum go to some meets and talk to people and listen. It is fine to have your own tastes and style but there are things you need to understand before you go and buy something that will be a waste or worse a downgrade or flat out dangerous.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:24 AM

Anyone that offered advice, Thank You. Everyone else....WOW. Is this really what you do with your time on here. Yes, I understand that the size is not improving the handling of the car. I am not asking what I need to make the car better. I know what I need. This is simply about what I want for now. Plan and simple. Calm down haters. Even though most of you could use a lesson in manners I did gain something from all this.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a safety thing you'll understand the reason everyone is suggesting to stay staggered is for your own safety. The S2000 is already a very neutral car, and going square with narrow rear wheels is only going to make the car more oversteer-prone. Going square with no other suspension mods is going to increase your front grip past the limit of the rear, meaning when you push the car hard in the corners, the rear will absolutely let go first in leading to an unsafe oversteer condition, rather than much safer understeer.

Most people who go square are doing it in track setups running a giant front sway bar to re-equalize the handling, or at least the people who are doing it right are. The front sway reduces overall front grip, re-balancing the handling

I owned an AP1 before I got my current S2k, and I turned it around twice on public roads unintentionally not even pushing the car hard, with the stock stagger, and with much better tires than those Nittos. I had been driving an STX prepped DC5 for 7 years prior to the S2000, so I knew what I was doing car control-wise as well.

And you asked about the 7.5" stock AP1 wheels... The OE AP1 rear tires, the Bridgestone S-02 was a specially made 225 width tire that ran over 9.2" wide just for the S2000, where the normal ones ran in the mid 8" range. You're losing out on rear tire width by moving up to a 235/17, especially with that awkward 50 height.

Another point, staggering tires on square wheels is a shitty band aid, you're going to stretch the fronts and pinch the rears, leading to shitty turn in up front and squishy sidewalls in the rear, compromising your handling. If you just want to be hard parked, go for it though. it's your money.

Quick Reply: Why not 7.5 non staggered?