Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not 7.5 non staggered?

Old 06-21-2014, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not 7.5 non staggered?

2002 AP1 OEM rims and ride height, non OEM tires that suck 20% rear 50% front (I am a tire junky and love fresh tires) non staggered at the moment Dunlop Diressa DS101 225/50/16, so I have two rim choices I'm looking at. And yes I have studied the wheel guide on here and various other forums of what other member have. And my brain hurts....I'm so confused and do not want do anything that would hurt my new baby.

Enkei Kojin 17x8, 17x9 +45
Motegi MR125 17x7.5 +42 non staggered

I've been told that the 17x7.5 width non staggered is not a good choice. That it is too narrow for the rear. I don't understand this since my stock ap1's are 7.5 in the rear. I mainly want these because I have them on my Integra and I would like to match the rims on my S2K.

I also have the Nitto Neo Gen tires 205/45/16 on my Integra with the MR125 rims and I love them. Neo Gen tires in a 17in only come in... 205/40...205/45...215/40..215/45...225/45...225/50...235/50 so these tires will only fit the MR125 rims not the Enkei rims are too wide in the rear

So if the Enkei's end up being the ones, I was looking at the BF Goodrich g-force super sport A/S.... 205/40...245/40...255/40...275/40...215/45...225/45...235/45...245/45...255/45...205/50...215/50...225/50...235/55 (open to suggestions on other brands, trying to stay around $125 per tire)

I do not track this car, just DD (mostly Hwy) with some aggressive street driving every once in awhile
So suggestions on tire sizes for the MR125 and Enkei Kohin would be greatly appreciated.

The S2K is just so confusing to me since I have owned the DC2 integra for the past 12yrs. I
Old 06-21-2014, 05:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

They will work but most go to an 8-9" width wheel to get some 245-255's all around. AP1 wheels are definitely skinny.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

This has been explained to you several times now. If you are expecting a different answer every time you ask that's the definition of insanity. You clearly just want to hear that it is fine and that's the answer you want so go for it. But don't come back complaining after you have been told so many times why it is not a good setup.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM

The answer I was looking for is WHY it is not a good setup. I may be new to S2K's and RWD but I'm not new to cars. The only answer I heard thrus far in its to narrow and not a good set up. That does not explain WHY. Just sounds like opinion to me. When the car comes stock with 7.5 on the rear. Then people say its too narrow.....Ok I get it. Honda changed the AP2 to a wider tire because the car tends to be tall happy. I've stated that is not an issue for me so if there is any other reasons? I guess that's what I'm looking for.
Manga_Spawn you clearly know your shit when it comes to this car cause you seem to comment on a lot of post. Which is truly appreciated. You could work on your manners a little bit though. And don't worry, I would never complain about a choice I make for my car. I mean truth is I don't know any of you, so forums are really just about gathering as many opinions as possible and making a decision after weeding through a bunch of different opinions of people you really don't know. I was hoping to get the attention of someone that has had this setup before. That is why I started a new thread. Moddicton....thank you for your answer and not being critical just because it is not something you may do to your car. Very helpful.
I've also noticed that nobody has mentioned anything about the +42 offset which is something I was also a little concerned about. But I'm just going to guess that its not a problem. I think I was pretty clear that I am more interested in style and apperence than performance. Otherwise yes....I would go with a wider rim and tire. So if all I'm looking at is losing a little traction from the setup then that is fine with me. I'm not try to push my car to its limits.Thank you too the like three or four people that have commented on my question......I don't really consider that to be several so sorry if I offended anyone by looking for a more detailed explanation. Thank you all for your time.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all you are concerned about is style then why are you even posting on here asking? The reason 7.5 is considered a poor width is because it is not an upgrade over an AP1 rear and is a downgrade from AP2 sizings. My personal philosophy with wheels and tires is that if you are going to spend the money you should be improving as much as possible while getting a look you enjoy. The 7.5 square set up will make the car feel like it is more liable to oversteer as the front will have more effective grip whereas the rear stays the same. I wouldn't ever recommend this setup and would go for something with specs like the kojins you posted for street use.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:34 PM

I only asked because I wanted to know what I would be sacrificing if I choose to get the rims and tires I truly want. Thank you for your response. That was exactly what I was looking for. That is what I thought from the research I had done but I just wanted to confirm it, since I am new to RWD. I believe I've got my answer. Thank you all so much.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:39 PM
DxC

I have a set of 18x7.5 wheels that I used to have on my mazda hatch. I put them on my s2k just for sh*ts and giggles. Plus they were re30s so I liked the look. Daily driving was ok I guess. I would say worse than stock. Anytime I turned left or right from a stock and tried to get on the throttle at all it would oversteer. As long as you weren't pushing it it was ok, but at that point anything would be. Although in the rain it was extremely tail happy. I took the s2000 to and autocross with those wheels on it with a 225 tire and I just fought the car the whole time couldn't get on the throttle at all. I am comparing this to stock ap2 wheels which the car came on and it was night and day. Since I have upgraded to the common 17x9 square setup and it's so impressive the car is almost boring on the street.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:31 PM

Thank u so much for that info. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 17x7.5 non staggered. Unless anyone thinks I'll have a any issues with the +42 offset? I really don't drive in the rain and I like the ass end sliding around. Kind of why I wanted the car. I'll get the larger rims next summer when I decide to start auto crossing.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

You should just get a set of deep dish steelies.

Lots of looks. You'll turn lots of heads. You'll also have equally crap performance.

All for much cheaper too.

You call yourself a "tire junkie" saying that you "love fresh tires"...

Why? because they look cool? Most people can't tell the difference between a new tire and an old one if you put Armor All on it.

If you love them because of grip, then you're a tool for insisting on a 17x7.5 square setup.

Also, a +42 offset is crap unless you're really trying to fit some wide wheels with BBK clearance. Then it's pretty common place to look at wheels in the +40 to +50 offset range, but people are typically looking for a 9 to 10" wide wheel once they drop to those offsets unless they're completely cheaping out and trying to get something purely for looks only... It takes a bit more fender work to get a +42 offset under the car, but it'll probably be much easier with those skinny donut prius wheels you're getting.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Also, since you're new to RWD, the AP1 isn't the most friendly car to be introduced to RWD. You're also compounding the learning curve by going with a skinny non-staggered setup.

People already have problems with the stock staggered setup.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comment...and_lost_it_a/

http://www.planet-9.com/automotive-o...-accident.html

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/715...speed-corners/

http://s2000.com/forums/wheels-tires...oversteer.html

Honestly, best of luck to you...

Quick Reply: Why not 7.5 non staggered?