Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Cant I run 18 x 7.5 all the way around ?

Old 10-05-2001, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Cant I run 18 x 7.5 all the way around ?

Ok everybody thanks for the help in my last post, but I am still a little confused everybody told me what I should put on but can somebody explain what would be the disadvantage of running 18x7.5 on 225/40/18 all the way around ?

I am wondering cause I really like Racing Hart Wheels and the ones I like only come in a 18x7.5 and the only option like everybody else said would be a a set up like 18x8 in the front and 18x9 in the rear but the price difference is over $1500 from one size to the other ? What is the advantage of the wider tire in the rear arn't the rear factory tires a 7.5w on a 225 tire ?

Somebody Help Thank You..... Really Really Really Confused in Miami...........
Old 10-05-2001, 06:35 PM
S2R

Which RH rim are you talking about? There's a set of M5s w/P Zeros on sale for $2500. I would jump on that one that is a sweet deal. Tire Rack sells those size tires for about a grand. Which means the rims are $1500 no tax. The rims and tires have verly low miles on it.

Also, Richard is selling the RH CP35Rs with good offsets.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do that you will enduce quite a bit more oversteer.

https://www.s2ki.com/faqs/showfaq.php?threadid=17418
Old 10-07-2001, 02:30 PM

notstr8,

If you run 225 all the way around...your handeling will go to shit.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

notstr8,
While the caveats of the group members are warranted, don't feel that they're written in stone. It's true that the stock S is a very neutral car ("daringly neutral" as one car mag put it), and so putting the same size tires all around while making no other changes will probably tend to produce a pretty tail-happy handling characteristic. To counteract this, you could make some other mods -- ones that would tend to introduce understeer on a stock car, but will "correct" your car back to being neutral. See the FAQ for things you can do to add understeer/reduce oversteer, such as stiffer front sway bars, springs, etc. Even simple things like tire pressures or a FLCB can help.

Of course, you'll have to make sure the sizes and offsets are such that they'll fit after you've made those other changes!

Good luck,
John
Old 07-08-2005, 08:44 PM

Very dangerous to you and your cars health. I had that setup at once and paid the price. You wont only loose control at higher speeds put your bumper can clip your rear tire thus creating problems with your wallet and embaress your self. The day I bought my rims I was running against a EVO on the expressway pretty ballzey of me just by the car a week before I thought I ll smoke anybodys ass. Not this time I was coming of the the sloped freeway and was hanging in there pretty close with that EVO until I heard something give in the rear end I didnt know what the heck it was until its sounded like a loud scraping and knocking noise. It was my bumber and was tucked under twisted up by the tire. For weeks end I triesd to figure this out and finally found that it was the size rims 18s not staggered fit caused oversteer and unwanted stress on the suspension. The guy in the EVO was really happy to see the run end the way it did that Ahole!
Old 07-09-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like your problem was offset, not stagger... or lack thereof.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:24 AM

whatever it was it sure did screw up my car and its not worth getting the wrong sized rims on your ride.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:11 PM

Amen.
Any advice WHERE I can get rim size info?
I want to get a set of 16" rims and strap on some race compound.
I just put new rubber on the 17s... and unfortunately, it drives like an effin' boat now. The Potenzas were ROCK solid. The replacements have more lateral sway and I'm terrified to even try those beyatches on the track.
Need to find 16" rims that with 7.5" width in front and 8.5 - 9" in front.
AND... need to know the offset. What are the offset values for front and rear.
Thanks, yo!
CB
Old 07-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Kel

This thread is more then 4 years old...

Quick Reply: Why Cant I run 18 x 7.5 all the way around ?