Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you guys think? powder coat dark grey AP1's?

Old 12-23-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What you guys think? powder coat dark grey AP1's?

Thought I'd share my latest purchase for my AP1, kind of remind me of ITR's with the gunmetal grey wheels. AP1 wheels. They are powder coated dark grey.

What do you guys think?

Going onto this, good choice? Has RS3's on them as well

Old 12-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 3,782 Likes on 2,665 Posts

they look like nice quality painted wheels, and I always liked the ap1 design. One thing with gunmetal / grey wheels is they always look dull and they take something away from the car. I've had a set of gunmetal coloured wheels before on other cars and I just prefer wheels that are bright.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
they look like nice quality painted wheels, and I always liked the ap1 design. One thing with gunmetal / grey wheels is they always look dull and they take something away from the car. I've had a set before on other cars and I just prefer wheels that are bright.

Thanks, my thoughts exactly. I really like the aluminum look, and would like to own a polished OEM wheels or at least a set of really clean and undamaged ones, I am holding out for AP2V3's when the opportunity arises

The wheels I have on now pictured, has all season tires so they'll be used to get through the winter's and looks like I have a set of summer's when that wraps around for the '14

Old 12-25-2013, 07:59 AM

I've had a number of oem wheels on my ap1 since first getting the car. I started with the oem ap1 wheels with the stock machine finish, then I powdercoated those rims with a metallic silver flake paint. Then I sold them for oem ap2v2 rims which were really nice, but too many spokes to clean . Sold them for a set of oem ap2v3 rims, which I think are the best looking oem wheel IMO. I decided to sell them for a set of JDM ap1 BBS rims, I love the weight savings on these rims, but I think the ap2v3 still looked best.

Powdercoated metallic silver flake ap1 rims

ap2v2 rims

ap2v3 rims

Jdm ap1 BBS rims
Old 01-01-2014, 04:45 PM

Wow, I really like the progession.

Yeah, I had those summer wheels/tires on and drove a few days. I have to tell you the original wheels I had put on looked a bit better even which they aren't in great shape with curbage, chipped and scratches etc.. but are extremely clean though since in my possession. And again I have to say wow, I would have never sold the AP2V3's in order to purchase the AP1 BBS's but would eventually bought the AP1 BBS's and have a collection.

Goodlooking AP1 you have there, I would like to own OEM hardtop as well in the near future. your AP1 is the epitome of what an AP1 s2000 should look like. You need a drop though, I strongly suggest the Bilestein PSS, which I have on now, doesn't fill in the wheel-gap but it's lowered with an finger gap front and two in the rear.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Grip Hrd

Yeah, I had those summer wheels/tires on and drove a few days. I have to tell you the original wheels I had put on looked a bit better even which they aren't in great shape with curbage, chipped and scratches etc.. but are extremely clean though since in my possession. And again I have to say wow, I would have never sold the AP2V3's in order to purchase the AP1 BBS's but would eventually bought the AP1 BBS's and have a collection.

Goodlooking AP1 you have there, I would like to own OEM hardtop as well in the near future. your AP1 is the epitome of what an AP1 s2000 should look like. You need a drop though, I strongly suggest the Bilestein PSS, which I have on now, doesn't fill in the wheel-gap but it's lowered with an finger gap front and two in the rear.
Thanks very much for the kind words. The 9 lb savings per each wheel/tire combo was too tempting to avoid by going from the ap2v3's to the ap1 JDM BBS rims. When I switched to the Ap2v3 rims the car felt a bit more sluggish with the extra weight, though the amount of ultimate grip was improved. Without any real power upgrades on my F20c motor, I thought a weight reduction was in order.

Yeah the car would definitely look better with a dropped ride for sue, if I ever went a coilover suspension it would definitely be the Bilstein PSS setup, I really like them, a friend of mine had them on his S2000 and it rode really nice.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grip Hrd

Thanks very much for the kind words. The 9 lb savings per each wheel/tire combo was too tempting to avoid by going from the ap2v3's to the ap1 JDM BBS rims. When I switched to the Ap2v3 rims the car felt a bit more sluggish with the extra weight, though the amount of ultimate grip was improved. Without any real power upgrades on my F20c motor, I thought a weight reduction was in order.

Yeah the car would definitely look better with a dropped ride for sue, if I ever went a coilover suspension it would definitely be the Bilstein PSS setup, I really like them, a friend of mine had them on his S2000 and it rode really nice.