Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What lugs do SSR Professors use?

Old 08-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Jo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What lugs do SSR Professors use?

The short story: Anyone with tirerack supplied lugnuts for the SSR Professor SP1 know what type of lugs they are? Can I pick up a spare set at Pep boys or anywhere else local? For the time being I am on 4 tirerack supplied lugs, and an oem lug. Is this safe for the time being? Anyone know if the tirerack supplied lugs for the SSR Professors are conical or ball seat and if that is different from oem?

The long story:
I put my SSR Professor SP1's from tirerack on close to a month ago. Drove fine with no problem. Today leaving work, I notice visible steering wheel shake once I get above 50 mph. I think either the wheels are bent (impossible since they are new and I haven't hit anything), or that they are somehow out of balance. I figure i'll get the re-balanced at some point. Over the course of the day, the shake gets worse, and it starts at 40mph...then 30mph... I go to two different garages, they can't fit me in because it's getting late. I pull into a parking lot, jack my car up, and check out the rear wheel that I think is the culprit. It's fine. I then do some turning manuevers in the parking lot, weird noise, squeeking, etc.. I chalk it up to a possible suspension problem. Pull out to head home, now 15 mph...bad shaking. I pull over again, look at the car. Front wheel - missing one lugnut!!!! All the others are very loose and about to come off. NOt sure how this happened as I tightened all of them myself. No way I would miss a whole wheel, plus it's been fine for a month. I think maybe someone was starting to steal them and then ran off? Anyway, I retightened the 4 tirerack supplied lugs, then threw an oem lug on. Is this safe for the time being?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60* tapered nuts tq'ed to 80lb and then after 300 retqorqued

oem conical (rounded) nuts dont work

need 60degree taper
Old 08-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Jo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone suggested to me that I should replace with McGard lugnuts, are these compatible?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just buy an aftermarket lug w/ taper

which is alllll aftermarket except spoon grey nuts (and some ghetto mcgard)

www.evasivemotorsports.com

lists and lists