Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could have caused this damage to this wheel?

Old 03-23-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my new MY04 5 days ago (Thursday) and drove straight home and garaged it. Following day I decided to go to the garage and check the tyre pressures. I looked at the driver's side rear wheel and I saw this:

I have been nowhere near ANY kerbs and when I look at the damage, it appears to be on the edges of the rim and not on the whole surface that would face the kerb. My guess is that the wheel has been dropped or has fallen over when it was off the car.

The dealer told me that the car was inspected and the technician would have seen it. This means that something has happened while I was driving 15km or the technician didn't see it ... or he is the one that damaged it.

The dealer will consider repairing it when I speak to the manager this week, but will it look seemless or not?

Any opinions on the cause of the damage and the repair process?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:38 PM

Looks like the tire has a bead that sticks out beyond the rim. You couldn't have very easily damaged the rim without taking a chunk out of the tire.

The technician missed the damage. Not hard to do.

Gerry
Old 03-24-2004, 09:40 AM

The tyre has a distinct kerbing rib, so you will know whether you have rubbed it or not.
That damage has been done by others through the supply chain and that is the firm line you should take. Probably one of the delivery muppets.
I would'nt waste anytime in sending your pictures and complaint to Honda UK and point out that you are anyway pursuing it with the dealer, and expect nothing less than a satisfactory customer service conclusion.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:04 AM

Oh yes ...

I remembered that I had a photo taken of myself and the dealer with the car day BEFORE I picked it up. I have expanded and enlarged the photo and if you look at the bottom of the rim (between the 5 and 6 o'clock position) there is a an area that is slightly brighter than anywhere else on the rim.

Coincidentally, if you look at the position of the "H" on the rim, this light patch is in PRECISELY the same place as the wheel damage.

So much for the techinician doing his job. I am going to be visiting the dealership asap.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It very well could have been someone at the shop but it could have just as easily been something kicked up of the road.

Jim
Old 03-24-2004, 12:59 PM

C-U-R-B ....

sorry couldn't resist, not that I'm one to talk about spelling (cause i can't).
Old 03-24-2004, 04:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaebril
C-U-R-B ....
Old 03-24-2004, 05:57 PM

Are you SURE Brits speak english? I doesn't sound like english.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by gaebril
Are you SURE Brits speak english? I doesn't sound like english.

I doesn't? That doesn't sound like English!!

By the way, in view of this damage, I wonder if Honda's quality control isn't dropping just a tad. I was at my dealer today and they just got a 2004 new formula red in with an absolutely horrible paint job!! Every panel has orange peel on it!

Gerry
Old 03-24-2004, 07:47 PM

I managed to get to the dealer this evening and the "director of service" was very helpful. He made a list of a couple of things that I was not happy with in the PDI (psi at 30, battery cable flapping and not screwed on, tape on one of the roof latches, minor scratch on a tweeter AND OF COURSE THE WHEEL!)

He will call me tomorrow to organise the timetable to fix EVERYTHING! Although I will not hold my breath just yet, I cannot fault his initial approach - "you're an unhappy customer, let's deal with it".

Quick Reply: What could have caused this damage to this wheel?