Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We Need a Tire FAQ

Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default We Need a Tire FAQ

A lot of the same questions coming up lately. Makes sense though as most people don't obsess over tires like others (myself included) do so they just check this subforum when they need to.

I'll start with what I know/my opinions and if some mod wants to organize all of it, they should feel free. Please correct anything where you think I'm wrong. I'm no expert and these are just my opinions and information I've formed/collected over the years.

What tires should I get
Tires are the most important part of the car when it comes to handling, braking, and accelerating. They are the only thing connecting the car to the road. Given that the S2000 is a relatively high performance vehicle, it is recommended to use a high performance summer tire to get the most out of the car. Here is a list high performance tires - please see site sponsor Tire Rack for their reviews. The Dunlop Star Specs seem to be the best choice for most people but any of the tire listed should be considered. Tires not listed here either perform worse than the listed tires or are of equal performance but are priced higher (you will not find better performing tires without going to R-compounds which are not recommended for street use).

- Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - This is a very popular tire for the S2000 and in the autocross/racing community. It provides excellent grip in both the wet and the dry and is very reasonably priced. This should not be confused with the Dunlop Direzza DZ101

- Kumho Ecsta XS - This tire has excellent dry grip, probably one of the best, but not very good wet grip.

- Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 - This tire is update to the Bridgestone Potenza RE01R. It is an excellent performing tire but is a bit more expensive than it's competitors.

- Bridgestone Potenza RE070 - This is the stock tire for the S2000 CR.

- Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position - This is the OEM AP2 tire. It is a good tire, but is outperformed by many of the lesser priced tires in this list.

- Bridgestone Potenza S-02 - This is the OEM AP1 tire. It is a good tire, but is outperformed by many of the lesser priced tires in this list.

- Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 - It is an excellent performing tire but is a bit more expensive than it's competitors.

- Hankook Ventus R-S3 - Pretty new tire. Not currently available in stock sizes, but a 225 front and 255 rear is a good alternative. Replacement to the Ventus R-S2's which were a very good performing bang for your buck tire. This is expected to be a popular and grippy autox tire.

- Sumitomo HTR Z III - Not as grippy as the tires listed above, but a great bang for your buck tire.

- Falken Azenis RT-615 - These used to be the tire to have for autocross but have been outdone in price and performance by tires like the Star Specs.

- Nitto NT05 - Very high performance tire.

I don't really need a performance tire. What tire should I get?
I have no idea. Someone else can fill this in.

Can I use all season tires?
All season tires provide adequate but compromised grip in all climates. Given that the S2000 is a performance vehicle, it is recommended to use a summer tire in the summer (or warm climates) to maximize it's performance, and a snow tire in the winter (since it is RWD, which can be difficult to handle in the snow).

Do I need winter tires?
Winter/Snow tires are highly recommended for winter use if you drive your S2000 in an area where it snows. Winter tires provide excellent grip in the snow with some owners claiming they have more grip in the snow with the winter tire equipped S2000 than their all-season equipped FWD or AWD vehicle. Summer tires are HIGHLY discouraged for use in the snow.

I need to replace my rear tires. Do I have to get matching tires to the front?
It is a good idea to match your front and rear tires. Even if the tires are of the same performance level, the tires have different dynamics and can affect handling. Most S2000's seem to have a 2:1 ratio as far as replacing rears to fronts - so matching the rears to the fronts shouldn't be too costly. If you do not want to match front and rear tires, it is recommended that you at least match the performance level front to rear. Or, if you find your car oversteers easily, get a higher performance tires for the rear (relative to the front).

Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You did a very good job on the questions. Believe me when I say that I get asked those questions hundreds of times each week for all different kinds of vehicles. You really have to listen to what they are telling you they want and I match the tires to their needs.