Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB for tire wear?

Old 02-13-2003 | 04:02 PM

Default TSB for tire wear?

I was looking through TSBs on the NHTSB site at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/ and found one listed about premature tire wear on S2000's. Since you can't see the text without buying a printout, I don't know what It says. I'm interested since my rear tires are worn out at 8200 miles. I know this is pretty normal according to the folks here, but if I can get something out of Honda I will!

Has anyone gotten anything out of Honda because of tire wear?
Old 02-13-2003 | 06:49 PM

Cool I have 10,000 miles on mine and the tires are almost smooth. I would dearly love to find out Honda would help me out with my next set of tires.
Old 02-14-2003 | 06:49 AM

The problem that you might run into is that its a sportscar, and sportscars generally have lower milage tires on them to improve handling capabilities. The tread rating itself is 140, compared to something a Buik comes with at 390. Of course, not every car buyer looks at the tires for wear, but wear-ables do not seem to fall under any kind of warranty unless it is defective or must change for safety, noise or other consumer issue. If it falls under the other consumer issue, they will argue that the tires work perfectly fine and they would opt to put on a higher milage tire on the car, which will significantly upset the car's handling.

/my two cents.
Old 02-14-2003 | 10:05 AM

That's fine with me. It's not like I autocross it or take every corner at 30mph. So I would gladly trade a little handling for more tire endurance.
Old 02-18-2003 | 09:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Schatten is right. You have a sports car with summer performance tires on it. Honda and Bridgestone designed a tire that meets the handling characteristics of the car. You can go to a performance all season like the Dunlop SP5000 and you will get longer wear but don't complain if the car doesn't handle the same. In a sports car 10K for the rear tires is not low mileage. You should get twice that long in the front.

One other thing you can do is go to the lower side of toe in for the car and the tire will wear longer. Stay within Honda spec and be toward the negative side.

I hope this helps some.

Jim
Old 02-18-2003 | 09:16 AM

If you can afford to replace the tires when necessary you shouldnt own the car, period. Its a performance car with performance tires.
Old 02-18-2003 | 01:50 PM

If you can afford to replace the tires when necessary you shouldnt own the car, period. Its a performance car with performance tires.
Did anyone read the first post? I wasn't complaining about the wear, so folks don't have to a smart ass with their responses. I was asking about a TSB that is listed on the NHTSA's Web site. I'll reword my question.

Does anyone know what the TSB about rear tire wear on the S2000 says? You have to pay money to get a copy from the NHTSA, I since I don't care about it that much I didn't pay, but it would be interesting to find out what it says.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2003 | 02:23 PM

You left out the part about getting something from Honda. Everyone thinks they are entitle to get a free ride from Honda on everything. Sometimes people don't realize this car isnt a Civic. You think the Porsche guys with 911 Turbos who burn through a set of rear tires every 7000 miles look for free $400 tires from Porsche? No...

It sounded reminiscent of the whole NSX tire debacle a few years back when disgruntled owners sued Honda for new tires because they were 'not told' they wore out fast.

My response was directed toward that.
Old 02-18-2003 | 02:52 PM

So if the TSB said, you get new tires if you talk to Honda you would refuse? I just want to know what it says!!

You left out the part about getting something from Honda. Everyone thinks they are entitle to get a free ride from Honda on everything. Sometimes people don't realize this car isnt a Civic. You think the Porsche guys with 911 Turbos who burn through a set of rear tires every 7000 miles look for free $400 tires from Porsche? No...
I can see you bitching at me if I had said something close to what you hint at above, but I didn't. I don't expect anything from Honda. I like this car, alot. Cool down, no one is saying anything bad about this car.
Old 03-30-2003 | 11:50 AM

I think the questions posed regarding tire wear are fair. If you wish to race it, expect faster burn out. There are those like myself who want a fun sports car but don't want the hassle or cost of replacing tires so rapidly.

I would be interested in suggestions so far as a good replacements for the tires that came with the car so they do last a bit longer.

It might be nice for Honda to offer a choice of tires depending on intended use.

I would be surprised however if Bridgestone is offering any partial refunds for more rapid deterioration than most expected.

Jim

Quick Reply: TSB for tire wear?