Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tread life and tire life question

Old 05-29-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Unhappy Tread life and tire life question

I'm gearing up to replace my tires as my rears are about at the wear bars, but I have a question regarding replacing the fronts - I'm either going with a new set of four or just replacing the rears.

My front tires have more tread then the rears, but I want to know the best way to actually measure the tread on the fronts so I can gauge if they will outlast a new set of rears. The Linocln penny trick is good for a generalidea, but are there any more precise methods? I do not want to relace the fronts before the rears go again.

Also, my tires get heated on autocross courses about once a month - if the tires are getting heat cycled like this, is it a better idea to simply replace the front tires with the rears when the rears are worn out?

Thanks,
Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the age of the tires. The rubber continues to get harder and harder due to more heat cycles and ozone exposure. I have not replaced my fronts yet. My back tires will probably last out the summer.

When I bought the car, it had new rear tires installed.

I usually use a tire gauge and write the measurement down when I put on my summer tires. Began the season with 6/32 on rears and 8/32 on fronts.

I haven't yet figured out the Bridgestone dating code, so that I can find out how old the fronts are. If they are more than four to five years old I would probably replace them. I have read that modern radials are good for up to eight years. Some people go ten years, between replacement. (If garaged.)

My car is parked outside and the sidewall get pretty worn from UV that's why I replace them more frequently.

My plan right now is to put on two rears if the fronts are okay. If I have to replace all four, I might be tempted to try the RE-01R or the RS-2.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Normally the front tires will last twice as long as the rears on the S2K. With the autocrossing the fronts take a lot of abuse so they may not last as long. For the amount of time these tires last I would not worry about the rubber getting harder. They will be worn out before that happens.
If I can help with the tires let me know.