Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

toyo t1r OR Kumho MX

Old 02-21-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone suggest running a 205/245 setup or 225/245 setup for the AP1 oem 16 rims? I'm planning on getting the hankook rs2s as well, but wondering which setup would be better. I know running 225/245 can induce oversteer due to more grip in the front, unless im running an aftermarket sway and some neg camber. any help would do.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 PM

^^ dunno what sizes are proper for the ap1, but you are right about the oversteer.

i got the kumho mx 225/255. the fronst are gonna be alot wider compared to the really thin oem re050. i am gonna get the cusco front sway bar. i am very used to oversteer and i have no problem correcting it or turning it into a slide/drift
Old 02-22-2007, 11:06 AM

I don't like my t1r's. I'll probably be going back to the s02's since this isn't my daily driver. Sidewall in comparison is just way too soft.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 PM

^^ the t1r's have soft sidewalls?
thanks for your input!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well i had a good hour of play time with my new Hankook RS2..

im extremely impressed. for those of you who have said that they soft sidewalls im thinking it might be your tire size.. i know some companies make certain tire sizes of the same tire softer than others. (toyo does this alot.. IE a 245/40/17 will be alot stiffer than a 245/40/19 etc).. because i think the sidewalls are very stiff... re050 stiff... these are by far the best tires for the money that i have had... Out of: T1R, SPT, ES100, and RS2.. these are my pick...

I have not gotten to take them to a auto-x or anything yet.. but i did do some spirited driving around down and they grip very, very well.. ill be taking them to the boston mountains for some nice driving here in acouple weeks so ill have a better write-up then..
Old 02-23-2007, 06:34 PM

well ... i'm glad you're enjoying them. I'm currently having fun with what's left of my first set. I'm sure the new ones will be fun with all the grip compared to these baldies.

I'll be making a final decision on 17inch wheels here soon ... and it will be nice to find a substantial selection of tires compared to the 16's. I'm not sure if I'll get RS2's again ... but if I do i'll let you know how much of a difference there is in sidewall.

projectmayhem: treadwear ratings may differ ... but they do offer a decent standard. It's just like MPG ratings on new car window stickers ... it's all based on a standard but personal driving habits are the reality. My ES100's made it through 2 scca events and spirited daily driving with more than twice the mileage than the RS2's. They didn't have the grip in the dry ... but was better in the wet.

let's keep updating this or newer threads about these tires and the applications. I like to know how everyone feels about tires ... it's a very personal thing.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 AM

i finally got the tiers mounted. took a while bc of school, work, and weather getting in the way.

impression of the kumho ecsta mx:
LOADS of GRIP. I am very impressed with the amount of traction these tires provide. There is more grip than my old re050. I drove in the snow/sluch last night and i was very impressed. tires/car were stable at around 35/40mph in the snow. of course i do not recommend drivin in the snow bc it is dangerous, but if you get stuck at work while it is snowing i can feel confident i can make it back home.

the sidewall stiffness is good, almost as good as the re050. however, my tires might feel like they have a softer side wall bc the tires are over sized causing the sidewalls to bulge/deform.

they are pretty good in the rain as well. not as good as the re050's were when they were new. i would say it is the same in light/medium rain, but in heavy rain the re050 was better.

i have yet to really push it, so more impressions to come in the future
Old 03-17-2007, 08:28 AM

I know what you're talkin' about Mic Crispy. The same tire rated by 20 private owners can come away with 21 different ratings. That's why I don't put alodda stock in those "owner ratings".
When it comes to rating a tire (or anything else I guess) it's jus' more accurate to have the tires tested n' rated by the same individual, preferably a professional.
The most consistantly accurate info that I've seen on tires has been from the magazine tests n' the tests done by the guys at the 'Rack.
At least, that's what works for me.
Be well.
Java
Old 07-23-2007, 02:00 PM

UPDATE: inspired by thriple-h's constant updates in his RS-2 thread.

i have the Kuhmo MX 225/255

i have put over 1000 miles on these tires now and i have a much better feel and understanding of the tires. with this setup i am running more camber than when i had the re050. i am using the uk spec alignment now.

i went with the 225/255 setup and was expecting more oversteer since the fronts are so much wider than the oem re050's... not the case. the car feels really well balanced. when i am going around a turn or ramp the car feels really good, planted and stable. the sidewalls will start to roll when you push it in the turn and you can definately tell when they are starting to roll. the turn in is not as sharp and telepathic as the re050 was. going into a turn fast i can feel the front tires roll and then the rear tires roll.

they still have alot of grip. i can only get power induced oversteer in the rain, and it has to be a good amount of rain to get them sliding and continue sliding. the rear end rarely slides out in spirited driving unless i purposefully make it happen. going into a turn too hot, the car understeers and is easy to control. driving in the rain has been great with these tires. no problems at all. only when it is pouring cats and dogs will i experience a ittle hydroplaning and that was at around 70mph. if it is raining that hard you shouldnt be driving that gast anyways. in normal rain i can drive 70+mph easily with confidence

right now, i am at work, so this review i wrote is a buncha jumbled thoughts put together inbetween helping customers at the bank.
will write a better review later on.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:11 PM

WHere did you get 255 RS2??

Quick Reply: toyo t1r OR Kumho MX