Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire weights

Old 04-18-2003, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tire weights

anyone have some definitive weights for various brands and models of tires?

i know the s-03 is a very heavy tire, and the s-02 is not as heavy but still on the heavy side. i've seen other posts indicating that the pilot sport cups are very light. anyone actually weighed their new tires? if so, please post the size, brand, and weight! TIA!
Old 04-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Schwett, The weights of the tires are not a good way to choose a tire. Tires, unlike wheels are all different sizes. Just because it says 225/50R16 doesn't mean they are the same width. What would you rather have? More contact patch or less weight. People are really getting carried away with the weight thing. You can buy a junk tire with real light weight construction that would flex and lean in corners but it may be the lightest tire. I don't think that is what you would be looking for.

My advice is to buy the best performance tire you can for the car. Handling in the tire is much more important than the extra weight of a tire. Some of the tire mfg's including Bridgestone don't give us the exact weight of the tires. Just for your information the OE rear tire weighs 1 pound more than the S03 in the same size.

I hope this helps some.

Jim
Old 04-19-2003, 09:22 AM

thanks for the info jim. i'm not choosing a tire based solely on weight, it's just another piece of information that i'd like to have. obviously the size of the tire is far more important.

i picked up some BFG GForce T/A KDs from tirerack about 6 months ago, and while i love the tires, they've worn down pretty fast so i'll probably try something else next time. i've had S-03s and was not really impressed (on a different vehicle). i figured the weight was just one more variable to consider.

i was very pleased with the performance increased achieved by going from the stock rims to significantly lighter ones, so a few pounds less tire would be nice too.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Like I said though tires are all different widths in the same size so you would not be comparing apples to apples. That is the only problem.

Jim
Old 04-21-2003, 09:20 AM

would you consider the 'tread width' information listed on your site an accurate way to compare how much rubber each tire puts to the road?
Old 04-21-2003, 01:53 PM

Are you on stock wheels? I had BFG KD's on my M3 and loved them - I now have Khumo MX's on both the M3 and my S2000 (BFG KD's are too pricey for the kind of camber and thus wear that I get on the M). I find them a very creditable stand in for the KD's - and I'm a bit of a tire freak - comes from my riding days. If you want to go somewhere other than the S02's I'd definitely give MX's a look. I don't know if they fit have sizes for stock wheels though, or their weight, so I can't help there.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vroom
[B]Are you on stock wheels?
Old 04-22-2003, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

schwett, Yes it will give you the contact patch.

Jim
Old 04-29-2003, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pirelli and Toyo make the lightest tires sized likewise to the competition. The T1-S is usually considered by many to be an excellent high performance tire with great wet weather characteristics though Toyo is not carried by Tire Rack. Good thing about Toyo is their 500-mile guarantee. Check 'em out.