Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire rubbing issues

Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire rubbing issues

Currently, I replaced my rear old tires (Michelin PS2) with (Michelin Super Sports). I've never rubbed before but after replacing these tires I started to rub a lot, on dips and turns (no aggressively, 15-20 mph right turns). My rear fenders are already rolled and everythin but flared. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to fix this issue or if they are currently running this setup. I don't want to keep damaging these tires.

Rims: 18x9.5 +40
Tires: 255/35/18
Rear camber: -3.1
Lowered: perfectly fit my index fingers between fender & tires
Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I show the specs are exactly the same on the two tires. Other than the Super Sport is new and will be taller at this point I have no ideas. It sounds like you have done everything you can to make the tires fit.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM

Is there a reason why the super sports won't be able to fit? Would you suggesting doing more camber? I don't want to wear out the tread too much though and to effect performance wise.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM

FWIW, it's pretty ironic you are posting up this issue with 18x9.5 +40 rims. the answer is obvious that you just have to deal with making that type of setup fit but you should already know that b/c you have rolled fenders.. .

but on with real input:
- possibly your bushings are wearing out and the new, grippier tire is making it more pronounced.

- The two tires may or may not be exactly the same size though even though tire rack put a spec up that says they have similar dimension.

- I suggest if you can't see where it's rubbing, clean your inner fenders really well, then find the rub and get rid of it through mods or ride height or alignment change.

- If you have adjustable shocks, go more stiff on the compression setting. This will decrease shock/wheel travel slightly.

- if you have adjustable swaybars, adjust them more stiff, if not, think about getting a stiffer swaybar.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by berny2435
FWIW, it's pretty ironic you are posting up this issue with 18x9.5 +40 rims. the answer is obvious that you just have to deal with making that type of setup fit but you should already know that b/c you have rolled fenders.. .

but on with real input:
- possibly your bushings are wearing out and the new, grippier tire is making it more pronounced.

- The two tires may or may not be exactly the same size though even though tire rack put a spec up that says they have similar dimension.

- I suggest if you can't see where it's rubbing, clean your inner fenders really well, then find the rub and get rid of it through mods or ride height or alignment change.

- If you have adjustable shocks, go more stiff on the compression setting. This will decrease shock/wheel travel slightly.

- if you have adjustable swaybars, adjust them more stiff, if not, think about getting a stiffer swaybar.
Btw what does FWIW mean?
I've already stiffen my suspension to max.
It's rubbing right at the top part of the sidewalls

Anyone else have any other suggestions without having to flare my fenders
Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 AM

FWIW = For What Its Worth.

It appears that you have all the info u need. Decisions decisions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2