Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire recommendation

Old 01-19-2024, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire recommendation

Just turbo my ap2 s2000 at 475 whp. I need new tires. The oem rims fit a 245/40R17 tire. I want to get a 255/40R17 to get a little bit more grip. I wanted to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but they dont make it for the 255 tire size but for the 245 tire size they do. Wanted to get your opinions if to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S at 245 or what other michelin tires for a 255 would you recommend?

*This is for regular street driving in the summer for wet road(I live in Miami).
Old 01-19-2024, 03:41 PM

Received 413 Likes on 378 Posts

Really depends what the front tyres are on your S,mixed brands is not a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck S (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 05:17 AM

Received 1,225 Likes on 1,070 Posts

All this money spend for performance and you want 2d tier tires? Max performance summer tires?

Go to the Tire Rack website and choose 2008 CR for your car and it will default to 255 rears, you can manually select your fronts. If all you want is Max performance there are a good half dozen brands that fit and many Extreme performance tires many of which, like the Falken Azenis RT615K+ are comparatively inexpensive at about $650 a set of 4. Yeah Extreme Summer tires wear out faster but with your money that's unimportant.

Reminder: Discount Tire bought Tire Rack a couple of years ago so anything on the Tire Rack site is available at all the Discount Tire store in your neighborhood at the same price. May take a couple of days to get them.

-- Chuck
Pinky (08-15-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 07:58 AM

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,025 Posts

If you want something that prioritizes water traction and comes in 255, the Continental EC Sport is your tire.

In the 200TW type tires, you give up some wet traction at the gain of dry traction. I think the best overall for both are the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD09, ADVAN Neova A052, or the Bridgestone RE71RS.

The advantage to Bridgestone is that Costco sells them.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jorgehern897
Just turbo my ap2 s2000 at 475 whp. I need new tires. The oem rims fit a 245/40R17 tire. I want to get a 255/40R17 to get a little bit more grip. I wanted to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but they dont make it for the 255 tire size but for the 245 tire size they do. Wanted to get your opinions if to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S at 245 or what other michelin tires for a 255 would you recommend?

*This is for regular street driving in the summer for wet road(I live in Miami).
My first post so hello fellow S2000 drivers.
I have an 09 all stock since new off the showroom floor.

Ok, so back to the topic. I purchased new tires from Tire Rack on a closeout. Bridgestone Potenza Sport. These are summer tires. Got a great price with 2 year free road hazard. Since we both live in the Miami area I saved $40 on the order by picking up the tires at their warehouse in Davie, Florida. As a policy from Tire Rack they do not sell tires older than 2 years old. All my tires have a production date of 2022.
I also have a $60 rebate with a gift card. If you haven't purchased tires yet give this a try. There are always rebates running. If you need a good specialty tire shop in the area MrWheels Motorsports in Hollywood, Florida is a great place. They do custom setups and road force balancing.

Again thanks to all and I look forward to engaging in conversconversations here.
noodels (02-05-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 11:58 AM

I bought a set of Potenza Sports 13 months ago. I now have about 5,000 miles on them. I just rotated the tires (side to side) and noticed that my rears are almost down to the wear bars! Fronts look good, normal wear. I have a depth gauge and the rears measure 2/32nds, the front 8/32nds. How is your wear looking?

I just drive my car, no tracking, no autocross, just normal driving.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:20 PM

Received 1,225 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Even tread wear across the width of the tire?

I'd not expect an Extreme Performance Summer tire (UTQG 200) tire to wear this fast in 5,000 miles and neither a UTQG 300.

-- Chuck
Old 08-14-2024, 12:54 PM

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,077 Posts

If not beating on them like sliding around, doing burnouts, etc, then it pretty much has to be alignment is way out of whack. I would be curious to know what the alignment settings look like. Excessive rear toe being the first thing that comes to mind. Pictures of how the tires are wearing also would be interesting to see.
Old 08-14-2024, 01:13 PM

Yes, even tread wear. Here's a couple photos:

Front tire.

Rear Tire
Old 08-14-2024, 01:20 PM

Here's the response from Tire Rack Customer Service:

Good morning,
I am reaching out regarding your Bridgestone tires. With your vehicle having a staggered fitment the rear tires will wear faster then the front tires. Usually if a tire has a tread life warranty the rear tires would be rated for half the mileage the front tires would be rated for. On the tires you purchased they are a max performance summer tire, so they do not come with a tread life warranty. These tires have a harder compound that is used for performance and is not rated for any number of miles by the manufacturer. What you are experiencing with the rear tires wearing more rapidly than the front would be correct.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,

Good morning,
I am reaching out regarding your Bridgestone tires. With your vehicle having a staggered fitment the rear tires will wear faster then the front tires. Usually if a tire has a tread life warranty the rear tires would be rated for half the mileage the front tires would be rated for. On the tires you purchased they are a max performance summer tire, so they do not come with a tread life warranty. These tires have a harder compound that is used for performance and is not rated for any number of miles by the manufacturer. What you are experiencing with the rear tires wearing more rapidly than the front would be correct.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,

Quick Reply: Tire recommendation