Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

summer tire choice? or maybe all season?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default summer tire choice? or maybe all season?

im planning on upgrading my wheels by spring next year and ive been trying to look for some tires for wheels. ill need to run 245/40/17 all around and i have no idea what tire to choose from. id like to run summer tires but i do drive my car till the first snow fall. i live in chicago and we do get our fair share of crazy weather so would it be better for me summer or all season tires? any suggestions for tires? i really have no idea what to look for..
Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people say to have both a summer and winter tires.
Why dont you just put your car away snow really gets bad. I'd rather go for summer tires though but thats just me though.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:09 PM

If you are planning on upgrading your wheels you should make your stockers the " winter wheels" buy winter tires for those and summer tires for your new summer wheels. Thats my opinion. Then again I am getting ap1 rims for my winter wheels and using my AP2 V1 wheels as summer wheels.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The tire would depend on what and how you drive the car. Everybody makes a good handling tire in the 245/40R17 size. I also like the idea of having your 16" OE wheels with winter tires for the cold weather. That way you have the best of both worlds.
Let me know what you are looking for out of the tire and I can make a better recommendation.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:53 PM

What winter tires can you recommend for the AP1 16'' wheels as I am in need of a set for this upcoming winter.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roflitzjinno,Dec 3 2008, 09:25 AM
im planning on upgrading my wheels by spring next year and ive been trying to look for some tires for wheels. ill need to run 245/40/17 all around and i have no idea what tire to choose from. id like to run summer tires but i do drive my car till the first snow fall. i live in chicago and we do get our fair share of crazy weather so would it be better for me summer or all season tires? any suggestions for tires? i really have no idea what to look for..
Why do you need to run 245s all around?

Anyway, this is a difficult choice if you only want to buy one set of tires.

Obviously during the summer you will want high performance summer tires. These tires will absolutely not work during any snow fall though.. you will get stuck on a flat road. Also, summer tires perform very poorly when temps drop below ~40* because their compounds are hard, and they cannot get warm when it's cold out. Cold, hard tires = less grip.

All seasons on the S will not work well in snow either.. you really need a dedicated mud and snow tire to get anywhere in the white stuff. But if you aren't driving IN the snow, and just UP TO the first snow, then this shouldn't be an issue. These will also work much better in the late fall, early winter when it gets really cold but no snow.

Personally, I would get summer tires, drive like a baby when it gets cold out (you're not going to fly off the road with summer tires when it's freezing out, you just have to drive like a granny), and maybe stick her in the garage a couple weeks early.

The best choice however is to get snow tires and stick them on the OEM 16s, and put summer tires on your new wheels.

I rock OEM 17" AP2 V2s in the summer with RE050s, and OEM AP1 16" wheels and snow tires in the winter.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by pyro40t,Dec 5 2008, 01:53 PM
What winter tires can you recommend for the AP1 16'' wheels as I am in need of a set for this upcoming winter.
Dunlop Wintersport 3D fronts, M3 rears, in 205/55-16 , 225/50-16.

I had a GREAT time with these in the snow last Winter
Old 12-05-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dunlop M3 and the 3D (I think this replaced the M3.. same design, different tread pattern that probably won't work as well in snow.. maybe better in dry) are good winter tires, but they are high performance winter tires.. they will not cut through deep snow as well, or get as much traction on ice as a quality snow tire.. but they still work well.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

hey zdan, how do the dunlops compare to bridgestone blizzaks?

to the OP, 2 sets are really bare minimum. winter, summer and possibly track if you can afford it
Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 PM

putting those 16 inch ap1 wheels on a ap2 is a bad choice

Quick Reply: summer tire choice? or maybe all season?